Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 08:15 PM
back4more

Bikes: 2010 Cannondale Supersix 3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Bearings

Am getting ready to give my bike a good tune-up / lube-up. When I lube the hubs I was thinking about slipping ceramic bearings with a lighter weight grease in my hubs. Anybody do this and how did it work out?
Old 08-18-11, 05:01 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Ceramics are an expensive placebo. Spend the money on something useful.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-18-11, 07:46 AM
ericm979

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You probably would not be slipping the bearings in. You'd be hammering the old bearing out and pressing the new ones in.

Quality steel bearings (ABEC 3 or 5) work just as well as the cheap ceramics sold for bicycle use and are much cheaper. The ceramic bearings sold for bicycle use usually have loose seals so they rotate freely in the hand/on the stand, but those same loose seals let contamination in easily, so the bearing dies an early death. Without the loose seals the cheap ceramic bearings are no better than good steel bearings.
Old 08-18-11, 08:37 AM
soma5
Hanging On

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ericm979
The ceramic bearings sold for bicycle use usually have loose seals so they rotate freely in the hand/on the stand, but those same loose seals let contamination in easily, so the bearing dies an early death. Without the loose seals the cheap ceramic bearings are no better than good steel bearings.
My limited experience bears this out. Some wheels I used to ride came with ceramic bearings. The one in the freehub body went after about 1500 miles. I had that one replaced with a new ceramic one, but the rest of them were toast after less than 6000 miles. The cost of replacing the ceramic bearings is very high (hundreds of dollars for all of them) and I replaced them with high-quality steel ones.
Old 08-18-11, 06:27 PM
back4more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My hubs take loose bearings and I found an industrial bearing distributor I can get loose bearings in the correct size of good quality. Everything I have read suggests they are lighter, harder, and more perfectly shaped than steel which is theorically translated into more speed at less output.
Old 08-18-11, 07:04 PM
hairnet
Fresh Garbage

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
If it really made a difference we would all be doing it
Old 08-18-11, 07:15 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 973 Post(s)
Liked 511 Times in 351 Posts
Originally Posted by back4more
My hubs take loose bearings and I found an industrial bearing distributor I can get loose bearings in the correct size of good quality. Everything I have read suggests they are lighter, harder, and more perfectly shaped than steel which is theorically translated into more speed at less output.
I just spun my front wheel while the bike was on the repair stand. It's a 1550 gram aluminum wheel set, White Industries hubs and Kinlin 30mm rims. I have between 3,000 and 4,000 miles on it so far. I gave it a decent pull, but didn't try to maximize the wheel speed.

Timing the front wheel spin down:
6 min 55 secs: finishing spinning in circles, starting the final oscillation back and forth, due to the weight of the rim joint.
11 min 20 secs: finally stopped completely.

Yes, it was moving for over 11 minutes with good old steel bearings. And some of this drag on the wheel was due to air friction when it was spinning fast. How much less drag could there be?

( I knew it spun for a long time, but I never timed it. That's pretty amazing.)

Last edited by rm -rf; 08-18-11 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-18-11, 07:46 PM
GDA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just my .02 and opinion...

Just get the highest quality steel bearings and then you can replace those when they are just getting into the back half of their life cycle. With this higher replacement you can probably change them 2 to 3x over for the price of going ceramic just once... the incremental performance of ceramic is just a handful of seconds over something like 20 miles.

Not really worth it for the $ investment.
Old 08-18-11, 08:18 PM
kimconyc
Señor Member

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R380 Ti | 2011 Hampsten Travelissimo Gran Paradiso Ti | 2001 De Rosa Neo Primato - Batik Del Monte, Genius | 1991 Eddy Merckx - Motorola, TSX

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by back4more
Am getting ready to give my bike a good tune-up / lube-up. When I lube the hubs I was thinking about slipping ceramic bearings with a lighter weight grease in my hubs. Anybody do this and how did it work out?
Went with full ceramic Enduro Zero (rear derailleur pulleys, bottom bracket, hubs) a while back and it was a complete waste.

One reason I tried ceramic bearings was durability since I ride in all weather conditions. The bottom bracket wore out in 6,000 miles and the rear hub bearings wore out in 5,000 miles.

Way cheaper to just go with standard stuff.

There is very little performance benefit from going ceramic since anything on a bike does not spin at a high enough rpm to matter between high grade steel and ceramic.
Old 08-18-11, 08:22 PM
back4more

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the input