Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Ball Bearings

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Ball Bearings

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-12, 02:08 AM
tradeshowbob

Bikes: 64 Carlton Catalina

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ball Bearings

I need some ball bearings for a rebuild of a 1964 Carlton and my LBS only has grade 300 loose balls so I was looking online and found both stainless and Magnetite finish grade 25 balls. Can anyone tell me the difference between the two finishes and which are preferable?

Thanks
Old 02-14-12, 02:56 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1789 Post(s)
Liked 1,266 Times in 873 Posts
Don't know what Magnetite is, but I think stainless is slightly softer than "normal" BB's.

I get mine at-
https://www.loosescrews.com/index.cgi...id=10827251054

I usually get a few bags when buying other stuff to amortize the S&H.
Old 02-14-12, 07:25 AM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
The 300's will be more than adequate for our use. Stainless doesn't hold up well.
Old 02-14-12, 08:06 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Ball bearing "Grade" is a measure of roundness and the lower the number the better, so Grade 25 bearings are rounder than Grade 300. Actually for the low demands of bicycles, Grade 300 or 200 are adequate but most mechanics use Grade 25 because the cost difference is minor and that is the best readily available grade. Stainless (usually 440C) bearings are good but not guite as durable as "Chrome Steel" bearings which are also less expensive. The Loose Screws link Bill Kapaun gave is a good source as is Bike Tools Etc. (www.biketoolsetc.com) and Amazon sells bearing balls also.
Old 02-14-12, 09:48 AM
tradeshowbob

Bikes: 64 Carlton Catalina

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That's very helpful. Thanks very much.
Old 02-14-12, 10:43 AM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I use nothing but grade 25 chromium. It's probably overkill, but they're not expensive.
Old 02-14-12, 10:54 AM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I just dig around in the dirt for approximately correctly sized pebbles and use them.
Old 02-14-12, 11:02 AM
SumoMuffin
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I can only imagine what that would be like to ride. I'd probably feel like indexed wheels. Sort of like the indexed steering you can have when the headset is out of whack.
Old 02-14-12, 11:47 AM
Jed19

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
As pointed out by HillRider, Grade 25 is the best for bicycle applications.

I buy mine from this people, https://www.vxb.com/ b/cos of their excellent quality and prices.
Old 02-14-12, 01:47 PM
vins0010

Bikes: '86 Trek Elance 400; '83 Trek 520; 90s Specialized Crossroads, '84 Trek 610 (wife's), 90s Trek Multitrack (wife's), Cargo Trailers, Burley for the Kids, WeeHoo Trailer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I get grade 25 for my bikes. Like Jed19, I order them from vxb.com.
Old 02-14-12, 09:50 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Check with a local bearing house and buy in bulk.
https://yellowpages.aol.com/business/...ll+Creek%2C+WA
Old 02-15-12, 08:33 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Originally Posted by dedhed
Check with a local bearing house and buy in bulk.
https://yellowpages.aol.com/business/...ll+Creek%2C+WA
Buying in bulk is obviously cheaper per bearing but unless you own a bike shop 1000 bearing balls are going to last a looooong time. I buy in bags of 100 for 3/16 (front hubs) and 1/4" (rear hubs) and 5/32" (Campy hubs) Grade 25 balls. They are less than $5/bag and last several years worth of overhauls on my personal bikes.
Old 02-16-12, 07:57 PM
Charles Ramsey

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
You can also buy grade 5 ceramic balls.

Old 02-16-12, 08:06 PM
HillRider

Originally Posted by Charles Ramsey
You can also buy grade 5 ceramic balls.
Sure you can but at what cost and to what benefit?
Old 02-16-12, 11:07 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Quoted: 2743 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Buying in bulk is obviously cheaper per bearing but unless you own a bike shop 1000 bearing balls are going to last a looooong time. I buy in bags of 100 for 3/16 (front hubs) and 1/4" (rear hubs) and 5/32" (Campy hubs) Grade 25 balls. They are less than $5/bag and last several years worth of overhauls on my personal bikes.
Yes, that is my bulk too, 100 or so per package depending on size and around $5 after the governor gets his cut. Always seem to be in stock too.
Old 02-16-12, 11:16 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5772 Post(s)
Liked 2,564 Times in 1,420 Posts
Originally Posted by tradeshowbob
I need some ball bearings for a rebuild .....
My friend at SKF asks that I correct this every time I see it.

Ball bearings are the complete assembly, including the inner and outer races, the seals and the balls. The balls themselves aren't bearings, they're just balls. If you wish, you can call them bearing balls, so they're not confused with golf balls.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-17-12 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 09:57 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Probably no decernable benifit, but at only a dollar a ball, I'd say that would be one of the cheaper 'upgrades' if thats all it takes to put a smile on your face. A genuine bargin compared to all the CF seatposts and stems and bars that are becoming increasingly common on commutor and weekend bikes.
Old 02-17-12, 10:08 AM
miamijim

Quoted: 413 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 78 Posts
Deleted/edited my mis-information....

.001mm is Campy bearing tolerance which is close to grade 25....

Last edited by miamijim; 02-17-12 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-17-12, 10:10 AM
miamijim

Over the years I've found that cone/race degredation is primarily from rusting assemblies NOT from over tighteneing. Ceramic balls isolate the cone from the race and thus decreases the chances of damage due to rust.
Old 02-17-12, 10:15 AM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by miamijim
You know what's funny is that everyone says Grade 25 is bicycle grade or Grade 25 is Campy grade. 100% pure B.S. Back in the day, at least through the late 80's early 90's Campy used grade 100 bearings. Grade 100.....
I gather you have an authoritive source for this info, because you certainly couldn't tell by measurement.

Over the years I've found that cone/race degredation is primarily from rusting assemblies NOT from over tighteneing. Ceramic balls isolate the cone from the race and thus decreases the chances of damage due to rust.
+1 that rust is the main enemy of bicycle ball bearings, but I don't agree that ceramic balls would make a difference. Rolling balls polish rust off the line of contact (steel or ceramic both) seen as the dull gray line on cones and races. It's the same that the wheels of a train keep tracks rust free.

The key to rust prevention is the type of grease used. Quality greases, combined with regular use to keep them circulated are the best way to prevent rust on races, and far less expensive than ceramic balls.

As for wear, a decently cared for set of hub bearings (greased every 5-10,000 miles or in Spring if riding on salted roads during winter) will last well over 50,000 miles. For most of us that's more than the life of the bike.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Last edited by FBinNY; 02-17-12 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 10:21 AM
Burton
Certified Bike Brat

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Yikes! Sounds like more of a 'lack of grease' issue than a 'choice of ball material' issue!
Old 02-17-12, 10:26 AM
miamijim

Originally Posted by FBinNY
I gather you have an authoritive source for this info, because you certainly couldn't tell by measurement.
Campagnolo's very own literature!!!!!
Old 02-17-12, 11:05 AM
HillRider

You know what's funny is that everyone says Grade 25 is bicycle grade or Grade 25 is Campy grade. 100% pure B.S. Back in the day, at least through the late 80's early 90's Campy used grade 100 bearings. Grade 100.....
That's very interesting and I'd also like to see the source of this information. A Campyphile poster on another froum used to insist Campy used Grade 10 (or was it Grade 5 or maybe even Grade 3...) bearing balls and "hand matched" each and every set and they had to be used as a complete set. I was always suspicious of this claim and would like to know the truth.
Old 02-17-12, 11:15 AM
FBinNY 

That's very interesting and I'd also like to see the source of this information. A Campyphile poster on another froum used to insist Campy used Grade 10 (or was it Grade 5 or maybe even Grade 3...) bearing balls and "hand matched" each and every set and they had to be used as a complete set. I was always suspicious of this claim and would like to know the truth.
It would be somewhat interesting to know, and certainly to debunk the hand matched nonsense, but does it really matter. As long as I was in the bike industry people always asked about what stuff was, rather than what it did. When I made cone wrenches and freewheel removers, I got all sorts of inquiries about the material they were made from. My answer was always that it didn't matter why or how a product did it's job and lasted, as long as it did both well.

I use the phrase " the proof of the pudding is in the eating" on the Chain-L site, and I used it years ago when selling tools, because I believe that that's the only issue a user needs to concern himself with. If I go to a restaurant where the food is consistently excellent, I don't query the chef about his recipes.

Back to Campy, given the extremely long service life of their bearings I don't need to know what grade balls they use, I already know that it's plenty good enough for the job.

Old 02-17-12, 02:26 PM
miamijim

Originally Posted by FBinNY
It would be somewhat interesting to know, and certainly to debunk the hand matched nonsense, but does it really matter. As long as I was in the bike industry people always asked about what stuff was, rather than what it did. When I made cone wrenches and freewheel removers, I got all sorts of inquiries about the material they were made from. My answer was always that it didn't matter why or how a product did it's job and lasted, as long as it did both well.

I use the phrase " the proof of the pudding is in the eating" on the Chain-L site, and I used it years ago when selling tools, because I believe that that's the only issue a user needs to concern himself with. If I go to a restaurant where the food is consistently excellent, I don't query the chef about his recipes.

Back to Campy, given the extremely long service life of their bearings I don't need to know what grade balls they use, I already know that it's plenty good enough for the job.

I've heard the comments about 'hand matched' sets and matching lot numbers as well...who really knows? And yes, whatever it is that Campy used/uses is more than good enough for the job!!!

Here's a Campy document verifying grade 100 bearings, Campy didn't state this very often, I think I've only seen it 2 or 3 other times.

https://www.minortriad.com/campagbb.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.