Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Crotch pain while cycling, need some advice.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-13, 05:11 AM
Smokehouse

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Now...before some of you jump my case...let me explain.

I've been road riding since June of last year. In that time, I've rode different bikes, and different saddles. I've also had different kits. I've managed to fix knee problems, back problems, neck problems, sit bone issues...you name it. Save this one problem...

I've been fit to my current bike and save one nagging issue, I feel great on the saddle. My problem is pain in the "taint" area (not my sit area, not my genitals). It's nothing severe and ends shortly when I finish riding but after an hour or so on the saddle, it begins to worsen and become a serious morale kill after 2 hrs on the saddle. Every time it gets to the point where I can no longer take it.

Like I said above, I've tried darn near everything I can think of...saddles, kit, fit...although its better...it's still there. I don't have rubbing, numbness or sit bone pain so everything else is fine. After my fit, the pain was really extreme so i nosed the saddle down a bit and that helped a ton...bunt didn't remove it completely. While riding, I try to get off the saddle every 15 min or so to relieve some pressure (standing while riding).

At this point, I'm out of ideas. I don't have access to a shop that has all kinds of saddles to try and I really don't want to drop huge $$ randomly trying out different brands.

The only thing I can think of at this point is core strength...but even then, that is just a guess. I'm trying to get to the bottom of it because at this point, it's really the one thing holding me back from longer rides. It just gets to the point where the pain is so nagging...I stop out of frustration. The funny thing is...within 30 min of quitting, the pain is gone.

Any advice would be great!
Old 06-24-13, 06:23 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Have you tried a saddle with a cutout channel, or the ISM Adamo series?
Old 06-24-13, 07:15 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Have you tried a saddle with a cutout channel, or the ISM Adamo series?
Yes, rode a 143 Spec Toupe last year, 143 Romin this year. I thought I'd add that I'm 6' tall, 170 lbs.
Old 06-24-13, 08:10 AM
thechemist
In the Pain Cave

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of fit have you had? Are we talking just a local bike shop fit or something a bit more involved? Most lbs stores will atleast have a saddle program that allows you to put down like $20 and try saddles until your hearts content. What bibs are you wearing and have you tried many?
Old 06-24-13, 08:23 AM
YOJiMBO20

Bikes: 2010 Litespeed Icon, 1987 Nishiki Olympic 12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like your saddle is slightly too high (talking a mm or two here), causing you to move your hips side to side when you pedal which is causing some chafing.

Also, you might want to try some chamois cream.
Old 06-24-13, 09:01 AM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Could be your saddle tilt too. I find that if i'm tilted nose down at all i slide forward and have to readjust all the time and that causes rubbing.
Old 06-24-13, 10:04 AM
gavj

Bikes: Cello XLR 1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The way you've described the pain sounds like it's tension in the small muscle there. Like your tensing it ever so slightly and over time that's building up, a little like it's easy to hold your arms out horizontally and then after a minute or so it starts to ache and then really hurt.

I'm no doctor and I may be barking up the wrong tree, so apologies in advance... Next time you go to the bathroom stop yourself mid stream, if you can, do it a couple of times. This will exercise that muscle and maybe build it up a little. Try doing that for a couple of weeks. Also if you start to feel the same sorta pain after a few goes, you'll know that your on the right path.

Again, sorry if I'm off on the wrong path, just thought I'd suggest it.
Old 06-24-13, 10:29 AM
achance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of fit did you have?
Old 06-24-13, 10:41 AM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,628 Times in 1,044 Posts
Try exaggerated seat adjustments UP, DOWN, FRONT, BACK - That is ridding a short distance with your seat excessively tilted up and down to see which direction feels best - This is strange because normally you would not want to adjust anything on your bike aggressively - But this time you are trying to find the root of your problem - And then slowly adjust from there...
Old 06-24-13, 11:37 AM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
I'd mess with tilt and saddle position.

If all else fails, you can get a recumbent...
Old 06-24-13, 12:56 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek

If all else fails, you can get a recumbent...
Then he'd need a beard and a beret...
Old 06-30-13, 01:57 AM
Avispa

Bikes: Ax Lighntess Vial EVO D (+ Paduano Fidia)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Have had similar problem. I've been riding with both too high saddle position and too low. I do notice that saddle angle is extremely important. Small changes, really very small, makes huge differences. Have you tried a frame/ bike with lesser vibrations? Or perhaps trying to get your handlebar higher? I know this is a real murderous experience.
I ride a Foil, i will try the new Bianchi Infinto CV to see how that feels.
Old 06-30-13, 05:24 AM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I adjusted my seat 1/4" down last night and will try riding 40-50 miles today to see how it takes. I'm pretty sure that height may be the culprit. I put the bike up on the trainer and was examining my pedal stroke slowly. I noticed that at the bottom of the stoke, I was slightly overextending my legs a bit causing pressure on that side of my crotch. I decided to start with 1/4" (give or take, the seat post has markings on it and each tick seems to be close to that). It's funny how different that tiny amount can make your riding position feel.

Either way...well see how it takes today.
Old 06-30-13, 05:29 AM
Essex

Bikes: Tarmac, Focus Urban 8, Giant Hybrid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Can you put in a raised footbed? I have one on my Spec. shoes. One leg is slightly longer than the other and as a result I have a slightly raised footbed in one foot and a spacer on the pedal too. Makes a world of difference to me.
Old 06-30-13, 05:36 AM
clausen

Bikes: Colnago Master XL, Bianchi Via Nirone 7, Marinoni Fango

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokehouse
I adjusted my seat 1/4" down last night and will try riding 40-50 miles today to see how it takes. I'm pretty sure that height may be the culprit. I put the bike up on the trainer and was examining my pedal stroke slowly. I noticed that at the bottom of the stoke, I was slightly overextending my legs a bit causing pressure on that side of my crotch. I decided to start with 1/4" (give or take, the seat post has markings on it and each tick seems to be close to that). It's funny how different that tiny amount can make your riding position feel.

Either way...well see how it takes today.
That may help. By your description it sounds to me that your bouncing in the saddle or are firmly planted to your saddle. Try to ride the bike raising up slightly over all bumps/cracks in the road, not just sitting on it and work on smoothing out your pedal stroke.
Old 06-30-13, 07:50 AM
surgeonstone

Bikes: 1976 FRESCHI, 2004 Crumpton.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 925 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
Dare I say it... Brooks Professional. It is a very good saddle.
Old 06-30-13, 04:36 PM
CHAS

Bikes: Rawlings Drakkar, Specialized Roubaix, Pivot, Challenge Trike, Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.selleanatomica.com/

Also, https://www.bentupcycles.com/catalog/...-raven-zr.html
Old 06-30-13, 04:46 PM
Silvercivic27

Bikes: Colnago, Cervelo, Scott

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Koobi Saddle. It has a cutout channel and is the most comfortable saddle I've ever had. I had to go to a cutout channel for perineal pressure too. I've got an Au Enduro and a PRS Century. They're both awesome. They're manufactured by Selle Italia.
Old 06-30-13, 04:49 PM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 504 Posts
If push comes to shove, there's always.......

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...UBMAc&dur=2025

the Easy Seat
Old 06-30-13, 05:54 PM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well...took to the road today and set a new PR of just under 52 miles. Crotch was good for at least 25-30 before fatigue set in. I tried many things like better, smoother form, off the saddle "rest" every 15-20 min, staying to the rear of the saddle, using my core to straighten myself out more (I'm a hunchback by nature), slathering on some ENZOs on the plumbing and the 1/4" lower seat. All in all things went much better. The last part of ride back was a 15 mi stretch straight into 15-17 mi winds so my form went to poop due to fatigue. Things started hurting more when I dropped a "complete" stroke using the whole leg in favor of fatigue driven mashing. I'm sure I was bouncing a bit due to crap form. I'm pretty sure I may have fixed the issue and in time, ill strengthen and be able to keep good form longer.

my knees weren't screaming so I take it the slightly lower seat didn't cause any problems.

on a side note, my neck and shoulders were screaming by the end. I think more core/arm strength ing may be needed. Time for more weights and sit-ups I guess...
Old 06-30-13, 06:11 PM
ultraman6970

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Hi, if lower the saddle worked to make your rides better maybe you should try to come back to the toupe? Saying this because the toupe and the romin and totally different saddles and maybe you really need something with a cut out you know.

Good luck

ps: if you lowered the saddle, lower the stem aswell.
Old 06-30-13, 06:15 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
OP, what kind of pad in your shorts or bib are you using? I had this issue with a gel pad.
Old 06-30-13, 06:27 PM
Smokehouse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ahsposo
OP, what kind of pad in your shorts or bib are you using? I had this issue with a gel pad.
last year was cheaper Pearl Izumi shorts. This year Castelli Endurance bibs (which are silly comfortable BTW). Seems to be the same soreness with either of them...although the Castelli bibs are far superior overall.
Old 06-30-13, 07:37 PM
ahsposo 
Artificial Member

Bikes: Retrospec Judd, Dahon Boardwalk, Specialized Langster

Quoted: 6766 Post(s)
Liked 5,477 Times in 3,223 Posts
Dude, I don't know.

You may be crushing a nerve. Everybody is a little different. I gather this isn't a topical (skin) pain.

I'd see a physician and seek pro advice.
Old 06-30-13, 07:47 PM
sfrider 
Asleep at the bars

Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked 203 Times in 135 Posts
A flatter saddle can help - less L/R curvature/arching. Make sure your shorts are tight; looseness often collects right there and you end up sitting on a wad of fabric. Typically this results in chafing though. If you like your saddle tilted forward, try one with a more pronounced pocket (front-to-rear curvature). It will provide the same benefit without the forward sliding. If pushing at low cadence up a hill the pocket will give you more to push against as well, making it easier and more comfortable. In fact, the perineum is exactly what picks up the pressure if you're prone to slide backwards when on top of the pedals.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.