Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Trek 7.1 Refurbish

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Trek 7.1 Refurbish

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-12, 07:21 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Bikes: '11 Cannondale SuperSix Dura-Ace

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Trek 7.1 Refurbish

My brother gave me his 7.1 because I lent him money a while back so it will replace mine that was stolen not too long ago. Anyway, it's a white 2010 model, and honestly, it needs a bit of work. My main concern is the paint, which has some severe fading so a new paint job might be included when I refurbish this. However, I'm not sure if the $300 (maybe more, maybe less) paint job is worth it, since the bike was purchased for around $275. I'll will also be purchasing a new chain because this one has stretched due to age/wear & tear, and it's rusting, as well as a new seat, new break pads, new grips, and new tires.

Would the Trek repaint program be worth it? The closest dealer is only two miles away, so I don't think packaging and shipping are going to be included in the price. I think the paint on it looks terrible. The FAQ mentions the ability to choose from any paint scheme you want, which sounds awesome. I know the bike is low end, but I could make it mine and upgrade it as I go.
Old 08-01-12, 08:37 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Spending $300 on repainting a $275 bike doesn't make sense to me.
Old 08-01-12, 09:08 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
After the paint job you'd have a pretty looking bike that still has old parts on it and the labor to get it that way. Do the math and look at the new bike costs. Finially what's wrong with some use/battle scars? Andy.
Old 08-01-12, 11:03 PM
bobotech

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite/Motobecane Fantom Cross Team Ti/'85 Trek 520

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I would not worry about the paint one bit. If you REALLY insist upon new paint, pay around 100 or less and have the frame powder coated. If you go to a bike coop and completely strip the bike to its bare frame, then you can have it powder coated which would be more durable and cheaper than having it painted.

I would much sooner pay for new parts to replace your old ones that are wearing.
Old 08-02-12, 08:33 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Leaving the paint in less-than-perfect shape will make the bike less inviting to thieves.
Old 08-02-12, 01:40 PM
desertdork
just pokin' along

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Contact the dealer for a quote on the total cost. In addition to the cost for boxing & shipping, I'm certain the dealer will charge for complete disassembly & reassembly w/tune. The final figure might end your interest.

I believe factory repaints are one color with one decal per side only. Dealer can verify.

Any non-factory repaint (e.g., rattle can, powdercoat,...) may void the warranty, which should otherwise be within reach if your brother is the original owner. Worth checking out beforehand.
Old 08-02-12, 01:58 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
nice bike. I bought a used one for my daughter and she's been enjoying it very much. definitely worth fixing up. too bad about the paint but maybe you can buy some cool decals?
Old 08-03-12, 04:37 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Ahh, the paints jobs they offer are amazing. I just can't justify spending that much on a paint job. Now, if I still had my 1.2 I'd probably do it, but not on this bike. I'm probably going to overhaul this bike while being as cost efficient as possible. I'm not sure where I'd get nuts and bolts to replace some of the rusted ones, but that would be where some of the money would go. I'm also going to swap out the larger tires for smaller, 23c tires (if they fit).
Old 08-04-12, 12:02 PM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can get a brand new 2013 7.1 FX for $469.99 (MSRP).

Plus it comes in beautiful, exciting colors like charcoal & grey...

But, aside from the mechanics & appearance, maybe more important is: Does the bike fit you? And, it is the right kind of bike for you and the type of riding that you do?

You might be better off selling it and using the proceeds to help pay for a new bike..
Old 08-04-12, 01:58 PM
Axiom
Fat Cyclist

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by GeorgeBMac
You can get a brand new 2013 7.1 FX for $469.99 (MSRP).

Plus it comes in beautiful, exciting colors like charcoal & grey...

But, aside from the mechanics & appearance, maybe more important is: Does the bike fit you? And, it is the right kind of bike for you and the type of riding that you do?

You might be better off selling it and using the proceeds to help pay for a new bike..
The bike is a perfect fit; me and my brother are the same height and identical weight. And yes, it is the right kind of bike, however, I plan on buying another road bike in the future, so I'd rather save as much money as possible. The upgrades shouldn't cost more than $150, if that.
Old 08-06-12, 06:03 AM
GeorgeBMac

Bikes: 2012 Trek DS 8.5 all weather hybrid, 2008 LeMond Poprad cyclocross, 1992 Cannondale R500 roadbike

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Axiom
The bike is a perfect fit; me and my brother are the same height and identical weight. And yes, it is the right kind of bike, however, I plan on buying another road bike in the future, so I'd rather save as much money as possible. The upgrades shouldn't cost more than $150, if that.
Then I would say "Go For It!"

I am of the opinion that there is no bike that is perfect for all conditions all of the time. A hybrid can be a nice complement to a road bike... Put wide tires and fenders on it and maybe even a rack and use it as a rain / utility bike and keep the road bike as the fun little red sports car that you take out on nice days for a fast, fun ride...
Old 08-06-12, 06:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
pictures please?