Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Trek 920

Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Trek 920

Old 03-10-16, 01:46 PM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
I am about 215 lbs. and don't go ultralight. Sounds like I should work for the postal service cuz I have ridden hundreds of miles of dirt/gravel/rock roads with rear panniers on the stock Alex Adventurer 700c wheels that came with my '11 LHT. Some of those miles have been jar-your-fillings-loose miles. Planning to ride at least another 80 in Montana in June. Haven't broken a spoke yet. In fact, I think the wheel has only been trued once or twice.
The adventurer is a really good rim though. And you've had it trued. In my books a need to true is the beginning of the end and a failure in itself. It means something has given or has loosened which depending on various factors can either be relatively minor or near catastrophic
Old 03-10-16, 01:52 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Spring is only 5 more pages on this topic away I Suppose ..
Old 03-10-16, 02:51 PM
LeeG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 64 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Has there been any actual evidence or report of those wheels failing? Or is this just an assumption based on the fact that sub-32-spoke wheels are bike-touring heresy?
Page 1 post #14

low spoke count wheels are not heresy anymore than performance car tires are heresy. If a person was light with a light load and a skilled rider they wouldn't need the durability a heavy person with heavy load who tends to crash through pot holes would need. If you do fast local rides where a wheel repair or replacement is an inconvenience instead of a trip stopper you have less of a need for durability. But if you market a bike with a mondo big front rack for carrying heavy loads it implies the total package is designed for heavy loads.
You can put sticky performance tires on a pickup truck and wear them out in 10k miles, it isn't heresy to do that but why do it?

Last edited by LeeG; 03-10-16 at 03:08 PM.
Old 03-10-16, 02:51 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
The adventurer is a really good rim though. And you've had it trued. In my books a need to true is the beginning of the end and a failure in itself. It means something has given or has loosened which depending on various factors can either be relatively minor or near catastrophic
I also commute on it so it gets knocked around by careless people using the same bike rack. Their pedals hitting my spokes and the like. We have five bikes on the first floor of my small house. My LHT is stored against my GF's LHT. I have snagged her pedals on my spokes plenty of times. The truings were very minor.

I bent my RD hanger on my first LHT, which had he same wheel build. before it was stolen. It was during the winter so I wasn't riding much. Figured I wait until spring to get it fixed. Spring rolls around and I forget about the bent hanger. Take it out for a ride and decide to see what the lowest gear feels like going up a steep hill. RD cage goes right into the spokes and literally explodes into many pieces. Rear wheel is barely tweeked. I have complete confidence in my wheels.
Old 03-10-16, 03:12 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by elcruxio
Let's put it this way. I don't have evidence of 16 spoke rear wheels breaking spokes with heavy offroad touring either. But for you it likely will not matter. Why wouldn't 16 spoke rear wheels work if a manufacturer were to put them on a bike

I only really have my experience and knowledge of reading up on the subject and doing my own bike mechanics and building my own wheels and others for the last 10 or so years. And I'm not saying 28 spoke wheels can't work if they're well enough specced. I'm saying the trek 920 wheels aren't well specced. And I do have experience with bontrager rims. Crappiest rims I ever built, man those were horrid.
Your experience with Bontrager rims matches what I have heard over the years about some of their pre-built wheels.
Old 03-10-16, 08:26 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
Do you have any evidence or reports of the wheels actually failing?
if you go back to the beginning of the thread, there were a couple links
to reviews of the bike. in the comments section there were multiple
reports of multiple spoke breakage on short moderately loaded tours.
Old 06-12-16, 05:23 PM
janine1

Bikes: Lemond Versailles 2008, Specialized FSR Myka 2008, Mercier Track Bike (grocery getter?) , Trek Emonda SL8 2016, Salsa Marrakesh 2017,Bridgestone V70 1986,Bike Friday Speeding Tikit.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I haven't been on here due to the negativity but I did really appreciate all the nice comments I recieved from quite a lot of people. There are a lot of nice folks on here and I shouldn't let a few sour apples bother me! I do appreciate everyone's help! Although I loved the Trek 920 it just is too big and I bought a Salsa Marrakesh which is the perfect size for me. I recently bought a new road bike and was sized perfectly! My roadie is a Trek Emonda SL 8 and the geometry on the Marrakesh is almost identical. I still have a lot to learn about Dynamo lights and to save up to buy all the panniers and camping gear. But happy riding everyone!!

janine
Old 06-12-16, 08:06 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Janine, in the end, it's just a bike, so that's great that you have more than one that fit you well, may you enjoy your riding and getting out on whatever you are on, that's the main thing, having fun.
Cheers

Last edited by djb; 06-13-16 at 06:29 PM. Reason: fit you "well", not "will"
Old 06-13-16, 08:04 AM
janine1

Bikes: Lemond Versailles 2008, Specialized FSR Myka 2008, Mercier Track Bike (grocery getter?) , Trek Emonda SL8 2016, Salsa Marrakesh 2017,Bridgestone V70 1986,Bike Friday Speeding Tikit.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you! It is great fun! Gonna tackle the Katy Trail this year before its trashed if that bill gets passed allowing atv's on it. Then I want to ride the Florida keys.
Old 06-13-16, 12:25 PM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The bill is about changing ATV's from once a month , on a Wed. to every Wed. There's a state rep that takes seniors and disabled vets for a ride on the trail. Handicapped tags required. I jumped to the same conclusion, but changed my mind fairly quickly. There's a thread about this from a few months ago.

There are also 2 places on the trail that allow horses within a certain range of 2 commercial horse stables.
Personally I think the ATV's should be limited to a certain range around this person's set up. Not the whole trail.
I don't think it's gonna be a bunch of rednecks with shotguns on their ATV's running over bicycles.
Old 06-13-16, 12:38 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,492 Times in 7,316 Posts
Hello. What's this thread about?
Old 06-13-16, 03:35 PM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
best post i seen in years brilliant.
Old 06-13-16, 04:21 PM
GerryinHouston

Bikes: Novarra Randonee 2016, Trek Verve 2 2015

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by antokelly
best post i seen in years brilliant.
Alzheimer's ...I think... Who are you?...
Old 06-13-16, 08:35 PM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
ha! that's easy! it's about buying a $2K adventure bike
with third-rate components and the inability of said
latte-grinder to navigate anything more technical than
the astroturf pathways at a putt-putt minigolf park.

Old 06-14-16, 04:09 AM
antokelly

Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
yip starting to loose it right enough.
Old 06-14-16, 04:24 AM
rex615
canis lupus familiaris

Bikes: En plus one

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by saddlesores
latte-grinder
Old 06-14-16, 07:22 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Y'all keep yappin about the Marrakesh, but the Deadwood is Salsa's true competitor to the Trek 920.
Old 06-15-16, 09:01 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt
Y'all keep yappin about the Marrakesh, but the Deadwood is Salsa's true competitor to the Trek 920.
I think I must agree. A small issue the 920 comes with racks. change to brifters on the 920 about the same price, about the same wt.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 06-15-16 at 09:13 AM.
Old 06-16-16, 11:44 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I think I must agree. A small issue the 920 comes with racks. change to brifters on the 920 about the same price, about the same wt.
Yeah, but with the Salsa you get to pick whatever rack system you want. You aren't paying for racks you might not use if you're bikepacking, and you aren't paying for racks you might not necessarily pick if you were speccing the bike yourself.
Old 06-16-16, 02:14 PM
Tim_Iowa

Bikes: 1997 Rivendell Road Standard 650b conversion (tourer), 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10 (gravel/tour), 2013 Foundry Auger disc (CX/gravel), 2016 Cannondale Fat CAAD 2 (MTB/winter), 2011 Cannondale Flash 29er Lefty (trail MTB)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by janine1
I still have a lot to learn about Dynamo lights and to save up to buy all the panniers and camping gear. But happy riding everyone!!

janine
Congrats on the Marrakesh!

Regarding dynamos:
Schmidt SON are the acknowledged best, and most expensive.
Shimano offers many dynamos at different price levels, but even their best (-80 series) are considered not as good as a SON (a touch more drag, etc).
SP is a newer manufacturer (5 years, maybe?), and their dynamos are considered better and lighter than Shimanos at a nice low price.

I have two Shimano dynamos (DH-3N80 and a DH-T780), and they work great. They can be found for excellent prices from European bike websites; I paid less than $70 for the 3N80 and $175 for a complete T780 wheelset.
I also have a SP PD-8 wheel that I found used, and it works great as well.
I can't feel any difference in performance between the Shimano and SP dynamo hubs.

For lights, more lux means a brighter light, but some lights have better or worse beam patterns. I've bought all my lights from the German bike shop websites for great prices.

Here's some more reading on dynamos and lights:
Lighting systems
https://momentummag.com/what-you-nee...namo-lighting/
https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/te.../index_en.html
https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/be...%5D=vis360plus

Regarding panniers:
I've tried a couple and my favorites are Ortliebs, because they're waterproof and their attachment system is very, very easy to use. Again, best deals are found overseas, but they do come on sale on REI and other US stores from time to time.
Old 06-17-16, 02:46 PM
enigmaT120

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Fargo 2, Rocky Mountain Fusion, circa '93

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth_Firebolt
The Marrakesh looks like a cool bike, but isn't the Fargo more similar to the 920?
Old 06-21-16, 06:17 PM
janine1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Atv's

Originally Posted by Squeezebox
The bill is about changing ATV's from once a month , on a Wed. to every Wed. There's a state rep that takes seniors and disabled vets for a ride on the trail. Handicapped tags required. I jumped to the same conclusion, but changed my mind fairly quickly. There's a thread about this from a few months ago.

No it will rut the trail.

There are also 2 places on the trail that allow horses within a certain range of 2 commercial horse stables.
Personally I think the ATV's should be limited to a certain range around this person's set up. Not the whole trail.
I don't think it's gonna be a bunch of rednecks with shotguns on their ATV's running over bicycles.

Well I've never heard of any place on the Katy allowing atv's and all the media states they aren't allowed currently. I've been following as I have friends that have a bike shop on the Katy.
Old 06-21-16, 06:18 PM
janine1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Forgot

Originally Posted by janine1
Well I've never heard of any place on the Katy allowing atv's and all the media states they aren't allowed currently. I've been following as I have friends that have a bike shop on the Katy.

Atv's mess up the trail by rutting it is the issue not guns. It's about the integrity of the trail.
Old 06-21-16, 06:28 PM
janine1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Tim

Originally Posted by Tim_Iowa
Congrats on the Marrakesh!

Regarding dynamos:
Schmidt SON are the acknowledged best, and most expensive.
Shimano offers many dynamos at different price levels, but even their best (-80 series) are considered not as good as a SON (a touch more drag, etc).
SP is a newer manufacturer (5 years, maybe?), and their dynamos are considered better and lighter than Shimanos at a nice low price.

I have two Shimano dynamos (DH-3N80 and a DH-T780), and they work great. They can be found for excellent prices from European bike websites; I paid less than $70 for the 3N80 and $175 for a complete T780 wheelset.
I also have a SP PD-8 wheel that I found used, and it works great as well.
I can't feel any difference in performance between the Shimano and SP dynamo hubs.

For lights, more lux means a brighter light, but some lights have better or worse beam patterns. I've bought all my lights from the German bike shop websites for great prices.

Here's some more reading on dynamos and lights:
Lighting systems
https://momentummag.com/what-you-nee...namo-lighting/
https://swhs.home.xs4all.nl/fiets/te.../index_en.html
https://www.bikelightdatabase.com/be...%5D=vis360plus

Regarding panniers:
I've tried a couple and my favorites are Ortliebs, because they're waterproof and their attachment system is very, very easy to use. Again, best deals are found overseas, but they do come on sale on REI and other US stores from time to time.
Thanks for all the great info. I went to Peter Whites site first off but so much info there!! I did read an article comparing one of the sp models to the son showing the same quality. I'm gonna take time to study it all so I understand. I live in the country and love good lights.

I have one ortleilb pannier backpack although wearing it riding was weird bc it was a bit tall for me. But it works great. I was leaning towards the arkel bc of the compartments easier to organize stuff for me.

Thanks for all the info tho the gear for touring's gonna cost more than the bike! Lol!

I haven't fingered out the photo thing yet or would post a pic of my new ride.

Cheers!!
Old 06-21-16, 06:32 PM
janine1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could be true

Originally Posted by enigmaT120
The Marrakesh looks like a cool bike, but isn't the Fargo more similar to the 920?

I haven't really looked at it. I was essentially looking for a fully loaded touring road bike. I loved the look of the 920 and thought I could use it for both. My salesman at my lbs thought it would work for bike packing but for tech trails I can't see it. I do have a specialized fsr Myka.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.