Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

de Bernardi Build

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

de Bernardi Build

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-20, 05:11 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3886 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
You built up and are now riding a bike within a month of breaking your arm? That's impressive.
Old 08-31-20, 02:14 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Basso Arrenacia, 2001 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 53 Posts
It was "just" a radial head fracture (common injury for a "fall on outstretched hand," or FOOSH, as the clinic put in the report). Since it's not at risk of moving out of place, I only had to stay in a splint and a sling for two weeks. It's still stiff and sore as the bone and tendons continue to heal, but it's important to keep it moving so I can get all my flexibility back.

This bike's frame geometry is a little unusual, with a 58cm seat tube and 56cm top tube. The shorter reach is helpful with my left elbow still stiff and sensitive.
Old 08-31-20, 06:29 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Beautiful bike. Yellow doesn't seem to be that common.
Old 08-31-20, 06:58 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Thanks! True, I can't remember the last time I saw someone else riding a yellow bike... aside from those Ofo bike-shares. Everyone seems to want subtler colors, or just no colors at all.

I actually started with the red Helium wheels. I originally bought them when I was building the Smoothie a few years ago, thinking they would go well with the metallic copper, but it was a poor match. Once I was ready to start a new bike project, I looked for a colored frame that would look good with the red wheels I already had. Yellow was high on the list. When I saw that frame, yellow with red accents, I knew my search was over.
Old 08-31-20, 07:34 PM
LittleGinseng 
lurking nightrider

Bikes: '84 Lotus Supreme, '85 Club Fuji, '86 Schwinn Peloton, '87 DS Ironman Expert, '87 Maruishi Professional, '88 Takara

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Beautiful build! And going with the red Mavic rims was a great choice.
"If there hadn't been women we'd still be squatting in a cave eating raw meat, because we made civilization in order to impress our girl friends. And they tolerated it and let us go ahead and play with our toys." Orson Welles
Old 09-06-20, 03:21 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Tire clearance is really tight on this frame. I thought the little injection-molding nipples would wear off quickly on the tires, but a hundred miles in, they were still making this lovely little squeaking/ringing noise against the fork and frame as I rode. So I did a little toenail clipping this morning...

Old 09-16-20, 05:19 PM
iasinschi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hello, very nice bike!!! can you please advise the tire size that you have used? Is this 700c rim?
Old 09-16-20, 07:18 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Thank you, and yes, they are 700c Mavic Helium rims. The tires are 28mm, Vittoria Rubino Pro Endurance IV G2.0... I think that's the whole thing? I'm really impressed with these tires. Since moving to Arizona, I've never made it more than 100 miles without a flat without the help of tire liners or those super-heavy "thorn-resistant" tubes. These tires are closing in on 300 miles with regular tubes, and no flats!

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 09-16-20 at 07:26 PM.
Old 12-26-20, 04:29 AM
Dsheidlo

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck custom build; Cinelli Vigorelli single speed.

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Bb

Originally Posted by sced
I troll Ebay from time to time and have seen your frame or other NOS de Bernardis. The yellow looks tres fab and I look forward to seeing it all done up.
He must have had more than one, because I also bought one. I'm loading it up with a Campy Chorus Groupset from the same period (square taper cartridge BB). Did you have trouble with the BB or the seat post? Even with lots of grease it took a lot to get the seat post in (27.2). And the BB is Italian threaded as advertised but I find I am forcing the cups to go in.
Is there some prep this needs? The headset went in easy. I have not experienced this when building up other new frames but none were this old.
Old 12-26-20, 07:25 AM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Originally Posted by Dsheidlo
He must have had more than one, because I also bought one. I'm loading it up with a Campy Chorus Groupset from the same period (square taper cartridge BB). Did you have trouble with the BB or the seat post? Even with lots of grease it took a lot to get the seat post in (27.2). And the BB is Italian threaded as advertised but I find I am forcing the cups to go in.
Is there some prep this needs? The headset went in easy. I have not experienced this when building up other new frames but none were this old.
I bought a restored Ciocc frameset for my wife off Ebay to replace her Bianchi that cracked through the lower headtube lug. She only weighs 118 lb so go figure. Anyway, the Ciocc's threads needed chasing so I called the shops around me and found one that had the correct taps and had it done perfectly for $45.
Old 12-26-20, 08:36 AM
Dsheidlo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sced
I bought a restored Ciocc frameset for my wife off Ebay to replace her Bianchi that cracked through the lower headtube lug. She only weighs 118 lb so go figure. Anyway, the Ciocc's threads needed chasing so I called the shops around me and found one that had the correct taps and had it done perfectly for $45.
thanks. I guess that's what I have to do. The park tool for this is over 600 so I hope I find a shop that's got the chases.
Old 12-26-20, 12:36 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

thanks. I guess that's what I have to do. The park tool for this is over 600 so I hope I find a shop that's got the chases.
I hope you're able to find one. I gave up on finding a shop willing to do it for me.

The frame was bead blasted before paint was applied, and not all of the tiny glass beads were cleaned out from inside the frame. Some of those beads wound up in the overspray in the BB threads, which made things difficult, but I eventually got it. I used lots of grease, and every time it snagged, I backed the cup out, cleaned it up, and kept going with new grease.

I bought my frameset from the eBay store of Zar International, an official importer of several small Italian brands, including De Bernardi. They always have several for sale, mostly newer than mine.

The bike is still going strong. I have 1,150 miles on it so far. This is from yesterday morning's ride:

Last edited by scratchpaddy; 12-26-20 at 12:42 PM. Reason: added link
Likes For scratchpaddy:
Old 12-27-20, 04:31 AM
Dsheidlo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I'll post photos once I am done.
Old 12-27-20, 06:45 AM
Dsheidlo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Just starting.

Likes For Dsheidlo:
Old 12-27-20, 12:03 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

The twin!! That's awesome! When you said he had more than one, I thought you just meant another De Bernardi. Is the fork chromed like mine, too?

Oh, be careful. The paint is really soft.
Old 12-27-20, 01:28 PM
Dsheidlo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I lucked out on the fork. I have not built this yet. Should I clear coat it to protect the paint?

Old 12-27-20, 02:12 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Oooh, I'm a little jealous. A chrome fork is nice and all, but it doesn't tie in to the rest of the bike as well as a painted one. Plus I really like the pearlescent greenish-yellow paint. The more, the better.

Maybe someone else would know a thing or two about protecting fragile Italian paint. I've never tried applying clear coat. I can only verify that if one of your tools taps this paint, it will chip.

One more thing. I mentioned running 28mm tires, but the rear is very tight, and I had to cheat to get them to fit in the fork at all. It's super tight at the top. I made 2mm spacers so the wheel sat slightly further out in the dropouts and the tire cleared the crown. Every hundred miles or so the wheel would shift slightly somehow (probably due to the soft material of the spacers) and the tire would start rubbing. So, I gave the nice 28mm tires to another bike, and now I'm running 25mm Schwalbe Durano Plus tires. The fork is still very tight with 25mm tires.
Old 12-30-20, 02:08 PM
Dsheidlo

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Since it is not built up yet, I threw a few light coats of clear coat on it yesterday. Should help with the paint. I am putting 25's on it as the Campy Chorus Groupset I got on eBay (used) came with a set of built up wheels with Campy hubs.
Old 12-31-20, 08:34 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy
Oooh, I'm a little jealous. A chrome fork is nice and all, but it doesn't tie in to the rest of the bike as well as a painted one. Plus I really like the pearlescent greenish-yellow paint. The more, the better.

Maybe someone else would know a thing or two about protecting fragile Italian paint. I've never tried applying clear coat. I can only verify that if one of your tools taps this paint, it will chip.

One more thing. I mentioned running 28mm tires, but the rear is very tight, and I had to cheat to get them to fit in the fork at all. It's super tight at the top. I made 2mm spacers so the wheel sat slightly further out in the dropouts and the tire cleared the crown. Every hundred miles or so the wheel would shift slightly somehow (probably due to the soft material of the spacers) and the tire would start rubbing. So, I gave the nice 28mm tires to another bike, and now I'm running 25mm Schwalbe Durano Plus tires. The fork is still very tight with 25mm tires.
These DeBernardis look so good!
I have a similar issue on my old Cannondale - not surprisingly, there's not a lot of clearance and 28s work, just (I was also using Schwalbe Durano Plus, which I like). They're worn, so after I do my winter repainting project, I'll replace with some Vittoria gravel tires that someone suggested which come in a *26* size, so I'm looking forward to that.
Old 12-31-20, 12:59 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Since it is not built up yet, I threw a few light coats of clear coat on it yesterday. Should help with the paint. I am putting 25's on it as the Campy Chorus Groupset I got on eBay (used) came with a set of built up wheels with Campy hubs.
Good on you for finding a proper Campagnolo group for your Italian frame. I felt a little guilty putting Shimano on mine, but even Dura-Ace is much easier to find at a price I like.

Originally Posted by Charliekeet
These DeBernardis look so good!
I have a similar issue on my old Cannondale - not surprisingly, there's not a lot of clearance and 28s work, just (I was also using Schwalbe Durano Plus, which I like). They're worn, so after I do my winter repainting project, I'll replace with some Vittoria gravel tires that someone suggested which come in a *26* size, so I'm looking forward to that.
Bigger is always better, I say. Unless they don't fit.

It's bath time!

It's been almost 700 miles since I cleaned this poor bike. You folks who live in places where water and ice occasionally fall from the sky are going to scoff at this, but it's filthy!

Likes For scratchpaddy:
Old 05-21-21, 01:17 PM
iasinschi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Can you please provide some info on the bottom bracket, what type did you use, length? Thank you
Old 05-21-21, 05:08 PM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Originally Posted by iasinschi
Can you please provide some info on the bottom bracket, what type did you use, length? Thank you
It's Italian thread, 70x109.5. Nothing unusual. I used a Shimano BB-5500 to match the Octalink V1 interface on the cranks (Ultegra FC-6500).
Old 07-10-21, 11:04 AM
iasinschi

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thank you, finally installed the same BB
Likes For iasinschi: