Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Aero or traditional levers with Tektro 559s?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-21, 03:57 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 421 Posts

For a 650b conversion, what levers would give the best braking with a set of Tektro 559s? I like the look of traditional levers with looped over the bars housings, but want to use whatever will give the most brakeing power. Any suggestions? thanks.
Old 03-06-21, 04:10 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
For a 650b conversion, what levers would give the best braking with a set of Tektro 559s? I like the look of traditional levers with looped over the bars housings, but want to use whatever will give the most brakeing power. Any suggestions? thanks.
Aero levers have become better but they are always a compromise. Get a traditional lever with a shape you like and a cast body.
Old 03-06-21, 04:53 PM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Are there any traditional levers that are particularly good? I've got a bunch of options.
Old 03-06-21, 04:55 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3869 Post(s)
Liked 6,456 Times in 3,192 Posts
I've mounted Tektros on three bikes, and went with vintage Campy non-aero with each. "No regerts."

Here's one, my '60 Schwinn with Super Record levers.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 03-06-21, 05:26 PM
bark_eater 

I might have a set of campy levers, but I'm kind of saving those as part of a cobbled groupset. How are Mafac levers? I also have a set of first generation shimano 600 levers.
Old 03-06-21, 09:04 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2152 Post(s)
Liked 3,401 Times in 1,203 Posts
Have a lot of first hand experience with this.
I would say, if you want truly superior braking ability and modulation, then buy Tektro levers to go with your Tektro brakes. It’s a system.
My preferece are the R200L levers, long out of production but copied by Cane Creek as SCR5’s.
Second choice is any Shimano SLR lever. They even made some non aero SLR’s (1050 and 6400).
In my experience, Campagnolo and earlier Shimano levers like 6207/6208’s just don’t have the stopping power of SLR types.
Yeah, talk all you want about braking from the drops vs from the hoods, but bottom line isthe later stuff is just better.
Old 03-06-21, 10:02 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
OP asked about "better braking," and a modern dual-pivot is going to work/brake/stop better with a modern-ish aero lever. Non-aero levers will still stop you fine, but not better.
Old 03-07-21, 07:37 AM
bark_eater 

Thank you Gentlemen, I have a set of the Tektro aero levers, that I was going to use before I ended up with Nitto b135 bars. I'll keep my eyes open for a set of the non aero SLR levers, which sounds like the best of both worlds as far as leverage and cable routing.
Old 03-07-21, 09:17 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2420 Post(s)
Liked 4,381 Times in 2,090 Posts
Originally Posted by pcb
OP asked about "better braking," and a modern dual-pivot is going to work/brake/stop better with a modern-ish aero lever. Non-aero levers will still stop you fine, but not better.
Work or feel? Aero brakes and dual pivots, in my experience, are both on the spongier side of brake feel, even though (I believe) this is also a function of better mechanical advantage.

Just the same, sometimes giving up a bit of that mechanical advantage on one side or another of the braking system isn't unreasonable if you prefer a firmer lever feel.

Sometimes, ideal lever feel doesn't come with matched systems or manufacturers either (as it relates to the claim from some that conventional pull isn't always the same amongst brands), not to mention that rims and pads also factor greatly into the overall performance. Case in point, my favorite braking combination to-date - admittedly, for upright bars, not drops - are Sturmey-Archer BLS92 4-finger levers with a Tektro 800A (front) and 900A (rear). Pads are generic Shimano-cartridge style three-compounds off Amazon.

The combo stops phenomenally well. Yet, change the pads or levers to others that are otherwise supposed to be compatible - including within the same brand - and I dare say the combo won't work as well. Tektro's CL530-AC levers, for instance, are supposed to be compatible, but I've always been underwhelmed by the available lever travel.

-Kurt

Old 03-07-21, 11:50 AM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 626 Times in 286 Posts
Point taken. There are many performance-related hardware issues I'm relatively insensitive to. I sometimes feel like I'm among folks having a very nice conversation about, say whiskey, and all I can offer is "Paul like whiskey!!!! Feel good when drink!!! Feel good when drunk!!!! Throat burn feel goood!!!! Whiskey gooood!!!!!"

It's been a while since I last paired non-aero levers with dual-pivot calipers, and all I recall is they felt crappy. That's the extent of my vocabulary there. Crappy. But dual-pivot with aero levers feel good! Aero levers gooood! I don't do much mix/match. Mix/match bad!!!

I've got an aero lever, with a 'cross lever, paired to a long-reach Campy Record front caliper as the only brake on my '71 Raleigh Pro Track bike. It "stops better" for me than that same caliper with a matching Campy Record non-aero lever, w/o the 'cross lever. I think there's a lot rolled into that. The aero lever fits my hand much better, there's no loop of cable casing flapping around, and having the 'cross lever right there means I never have to lunge for the brake lever. Riding in traffic with a single brake, that means something. I really wish I could leave the Campy lever on, because it looks so much cooler, but it sucks riding it that way. Aero lever better!

What I'm not paying much attention to, I suppose, is whether the levers feel spongy or firm, or lever travel for that matter. Almost every drop-bar I have with aero levers has 'cross levers, and the pull on those levers never really match. It's just kinda background noise to me. Any differences in lever feel is something I adjust to after one or two blocks of riding.

I guess that's a very long-winded way of saying my cloddish sensibilities about some things means I should talk less and listen more when those things are discussed.

Self-reflection goooood!!!!

Paul go ride**********

Originally Posted by cudak888
Work or feel? Aero brakes and dual pivots, in my experience, are both on the spongier side of brake feel, even though (I believe) this is also a function of better mechanical advantage.

Just the same, sometimes giving up a bit of that mechanical advantage on one side or another of the braking system isn't unreasonable if you prefer a firmer lever feel.

Sometimes, ideal lever feel doesn't come with matched systems or manufacturers either (as it relates to the claim from some that conventional pull isn't always the same amongst brands), not to mention that rims and pads also factor greatly into the overall performance. Case in point, my favorite braking combination to-date - admittedly, for upright bars, not drops - are Sturmey-Archer BLS92 4-finger levers with a Tektro 800A (front) and 900A (rear). Pads are generic Shimano-cartridge style three-compounds off Amazon.

The combo stops phenomenally well. Yet, change the pads or levers to others that are otherwise supposed to be compatible - including within the same brand - and I dare say the combo won't work as well. Tektro's CL530-AC levers, for instance, are supposed to be compatible, but I've always been underwhelmed by the available lever travel.

-Kurt