Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Conti GP 4000 on front. Tougher tire on rear?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-21, 06:45 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts

I have an orphan 28mm Continental GP 4000 that didn't fit under the fenders of my bike. I was thinking of pulling the fenders this summer and putting this on the front. It looks like the GP 4000 has given way to the GP 5000 and the prices are up. I was thinking that I would find a rear tire with a little more puncture resistance as I was firmly in the Clydesdale camp before I added the Covid 15. I've been riding 28mm Panaracer Gravelking slicks with out any flats and I'm looking to improve on this ride quality, so I don't think I need to go to a Gatorskins. Are the Continental GP 4 Seasons the happy medium I'm looking for? Thanks

Last edited by bark_eater; 03-28-21 at 08:42 AM.
Old 03-28-21, 08:06 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
The GP 4 Seasons are a *very* happy medium! Durable, moderate rolling resistance (better than you'd think), excellent durability, and long life. I ride these in the off seasons when it's cold and flatting would be a real PITA, or when I don't have a local support system and want to reduce the chance of flatting. Based on your description I think they're an excellent choice.
Old 03-28-21, 08:41 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Originally Posted by dmanthree
The GP 4 Seasons are a *very* happy medium! Durable, moderate rolling resistance (better than you'd think), excellent durability, and long life. I ride these in the off seasons when it's cold and flatting would be a real PITA, or when I don't have a local support system and want to reduce the chance of flatting. Based on your description I think they're an excellent choice.
Any idea of the actual size of 28mm 4 seasons? The GP 4000s end up at 30mm on my rims. I'm after that extra 2mm of cush.
Old 03-28-21, 09:16 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
Any idea of the actual size of 28mm 4 seasons? The GP 4000s end up at 30mm on my rims. I'm after that extra 2mm of cush.
They seem pretty true to size, but remember that the actual width will depend on the wheel it's mounted on. If you want a wider tire, they also come in 700x32. But at that width you'll need to verify frame clearance.

I'm running a set of 25s right now and they're not bad at all.
Old 03-29-21, 11:35 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts
Originally Posted by bark_eater
I had a 28mm 4 Seasons on a Mavic Open Pro, it was about 26.5. Later I switched that for a 32mm, it was about 30.5. But that tire was ticklin' the underside of the calipers, had to make a change.
Old 03-29-21, 11:45 AM
bark_eater 

Originally Posted by BCDrums
I had a 28mm 4 Seasons on a Mavic Open Pro, it was about 26.5. Later I switched that for a 32mm, it was about 30.5. But that tire was ticklin' the underside of the calipers, had to make a change.
I'll have to get the fenders off and swap the GP-4000 back and forth to see what the tolerances realy are I'm running 28mm actual tires under fenders right now, but its tight. 30.5mm should fit but I'm going to confirm before ordering. Thanks for the data point.