Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with frame ID- no decals etc

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-10-21, 05:58 AM
Tedbaz
Steel rider

Bikes: 83 RedK; 84 DeRosa; 95 Trek 750; 89 Univega Grantech; 78 Peter Mooney; 81 Schwinn SuperSport

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 5 Posts

I posted a few pics in the Gallery (tedbaz). It looks to be a 70’s or 80’s frame - Galli roller headset, Campy BB (English) and lots of braze-ons. BB is stamped with a serial # and a big letter “K”. More details in the gallery album ... any thoughts?
Old 04-10-21, 11:34 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Here's a few pix-assists: no idea but the forkcrown looks "Henry James-ish" a quality frame I'd say, what's the tseatpost size?

Old 04-10-21, 01:04 PM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Looks like a good quality frame, I'm guessing closer to 90's era. I hate to be the guy who always says "huh, reminds me of a Bianchi" but "huh, reminds me of a Bianchi"

Questions: Any markings on the fork ends or dropouts? What's the diameter marked on the seat post? What's the threading marked on the bottom bracket cup? Are there any thread pitch markings on the top nut of the headset?

Old 04-10-21, 05:16 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Looks like a great frame and I love that fork crown. It doesn’t look like a Bianchi to me

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Old 04-10-21, 10:32 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1422 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
OP says the Campy BB is "English", and apparently this "Henry James" style crown was also made by Everest. Now curious to have an ID for the dropouts: familiar looking but I draw a blank for a name.
Old 04-11-21, 04:46 AM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 192 Posts
Tedbaz, are there any cutouts in either the seat or head lugs? Also, are the top tube cable guides slightly offset to the left of the top tube centerline (they look so from one of the pictures but I wanted to double check)?

Everything I'm seeing from the pictures provided is consistent with frames built by Jim Redcay. The fastback stays, the stay end treatment, the serial number (with the accompanying "K"), use of Henry James/Everest crown and lugs, and the top tube cable guides that are (or at least seem to me in the pic) offset slightly to the left of center line.

Fastback stays:

Brake bridge:

Stay ends:

Offset top tube cable guides:

Serial number (this is the only picture I had. Even though it shows a 7 digit number, there were 6 digit numbers as well. The orange/yellow brake bridge pic is a frame that's still listed on eBay and its number is 331144):

Maybe some forum members who own Redcay bikes (like pcb) might weigh in on this one too.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 04-11-21, 04:48 AM
MauriceMoss

Originally Posted by unworthy1
OP says the Campy BB is "English", and apparently this "Henry James" style crown was also made by Everest. Now curious to have an ID for the dropouts: familiar looking but I draw a blank for a name.
I wonder if those dropouts are Shimano SFR (or some variant of)?

Old 04-11-21, 05:36 AM
Tedbaz
Steel rider

Bikes: 83 RedK; 84 DeRosa; 95 Trek 750; 89 Univega Grantech; 78 Peter Mooney; 81 Schwinn SuperSport

Originally Posted by francophile
Looks like a good quality frame, I'm guessing closer to 90's era. I hate to be the guy who always says "huh, reminds me of a Bianchi" but "huh, reminds me of a Bianchi"

Questions: Any markings on the fork ends or dropouts? What's the diameter marked on the seat post? What's the threading marked on the bottom bracket cup? Are there any thread pitch markings on the top nut of the headset?
Dropouts are Shimano; the seatpost is 27.2; the BB is 1.37 x 24; no pitch marks on the headset
This frame looks to be built for touring - there are three sets bottle braze-one in the down tube, two on top and one on the bottom, leaving no space for a down tube shifter. There are also cable stops brazed close to the head tube. All those details (I think) indicate bar end shifters.
Old 04-11-21, 07:09 AM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Everything points to Jim Redcay being the builder. He worked in Lambertville, NJ right across the Delaware River from New Hope, PA in Bucks county north of Philadelphia. It is a touristy art center. Jim learned from New Jersey builder Bill Boston and partnered or worked with Tom Kellogg of Spectrum. At one time they made the Signature series at Ross Bicycles. In the later 80's he went on to be technical editor of Bicycling magazine. Sometime in the early 80's or late 70's Bicycling magazine did a special on his frames. Included in pictures of his building progress was a photo of his dropout to stay treatment which showed the kind of scalloped shape shown on the burgundy frame. His head tube decal was a large red K (get it?). Around 1975, he showed me his gravity feed Binks Bullows paint spray gun (made in the UK). Because of his recommendation, I got one too. He told me he got a lot of orders from that Bicycling article.

The lugs, bottom bracket shell and fork crown are all Henry James. Because the back of the head lugs don't have any tips, these are early model Henry James lugs. Hank added the tips sometime before 1985. The Everest look alike fork crown was narrower than the Henry James crown. The width of this crown indicates it is a Henry James.
Likes For Doug Fattic:
Old 04-11-21, 07:19 AM
francophile 
PM me your cotters

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 1137 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
I wonder if those dropouts are Shimano SFR (or some variant of)?

Curious, the stay treatment and SFR dropout you've posted here, looks like one of the 80s era SBDU frames?

Old 04-11-21, 06:50 PM
Tedbaz
Steel rider

Originally Posted by Doug Fattic
Everything points to Jim Redcay being the builder. He worked in Lambertville, NJ right across the Delaware River from New Hope, PA in Bucks county north of Philadelphia. It is a touristy art center. Jim learned from New Jersey builder Bill Boston and partnered or worked with Tom Kellogg of Spectrum. At one time they made the Signature series at Ross Bicycles. In the later 80's he went on to be technical editor of Bicycling magazine. Sometime in the early 80's or late 70's Bicycling magazine did a special on his frames. Included in pictures of his building progress was a photo of his dropout to stay treatment which showed the kind of scalloped shape shown on the burgundy frame. His head tube decal was a large red K (get it?). Around 1975, he showed me his gravity feed Binks Bullows paint spray gun (made in the UK). Because of his recommendation, I got one too. He told me he got a lot of orders from that Bicycling article.

The lugs, bottom bracket shell and fork crown are all Henry James. Because the back of the head lugs don't have any tips, these are early model Henry James lugs. Hank added the tips sometime before 1985. The Everest look alike fork crown was narrower than the Henry James crown. The width of this crown indicates it is a Henry James.
Thank you all for your input and expertise. Little did I know when I pulled this frame from the pile at a local recycle center that I had rescued a classic from an American master frame builder. The frame also was carrying Cinelli bars and stem, Campy Nuovo Record RD (brev 81) Campy record brakes and levers with Mathauser ridged shoes and glued-on pads, and Campy Record cranks. A local frame builder (Ted Wojcik) did not recognize the frame at first, but perked right up when I mentioned the builder. This will be an interesting project!
Likes For Tedbaz:
Old 04-11-21, 08:09 PM
MauriceMoss

Originally Posted by francophile
Curious, the stay treatment and SFR dropout you've posted here, looks like one of the 80s era SBDU frames?
Indeed they do, good eye. This was the only clear shot I could find to reference.
Likes For MauriceMoss:
Old 04-11-21, 08:25 PM
P!N20

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 924 Posts
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss
Everything I'm seeing from the pictures provided is consistent with frames built by Jim Redcay.
The rest of us don't stand a chance with @MauriceMoss around.
Likes For P!N20:
Old 10-10-21, 07:04 PM
Tedbaz
Steel rider

Built out Redcay

This is the 1984 James Redcay described above. I built it out with Shimano Arabesque components ( cranks, derailleurs, brakes, and brake levers) with Malliard 500 hubs and Suntour Symmetrik shift levers. The sunlight just happened to light up the cranks and chainrings! I recently added black brakehoods.
Old 10-10-21, 07:09 PM
Tedbaz
Steel rider

Early 80s DeRosa

The campagnolo cranks brakes and derailleurs referenced in the thread above went to this bike. This is an early 80s DeRosa.