Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Looking for a Midwest Frame Painter

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 04-13-21, 07:59 PM
jjhabbs 

Bikes: to many to list

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 294 Post(s)
Liked 1,028 Times in 255 Posts

Hey guys,
I'm going to break down and get a frame painted. I live in Illinois. Anyone have someone that they have used that they like? Looking for a straight black paintjob with some pinstriping around the lugs.

Other than waterford. Any suggestions?

John
Old 04-13-21, 08:05 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Franklin Frames in Ohio does very good work, from what I've heard. A local buddy had a Colnago repainted by them in the last couple of years, and I've heard them mentioned on the CR list without complaints.
not sure how to find them, but this appears to be their facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/franklinframe/

However... I'm curious to hear what Mr. Fattic has to say. I'm sure he knows who the local painters are.

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-13-21, 08:18 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
Jeffery Bock in Ames Iowa does phenomenal work.

Franklin frame

Yellow jersey?

Spectrum

@Doug Fattic?
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-13-21, 08:21 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 114 Post(s)
Quoted: 1283 Post(s)
Liked 1,836 Times in 1,110 Posts
John,
Depends on what you want to have as a finished product. I have been using Pro Kote Indy for my frames. They powder coat and then I can decal and clear coat after they are done. They don't do anything other than the coating of the frame, but they are good. They do a chemical clean and the media blast and then the coating. I have done about ten frames with them and they are top notch and for the $250 they do the frame fork and bottle cages for me. A bunch of hot rodders that are old school and they do parts for the race world, including short track dirt, and the monster truck races. They turned me onto an old school chrome plating shop that currently has my Masi fork in for repairs. I'm sure Doug has a painter he uses that is very good. Perhaps that ride on I-94 from you to Niles should be in your future. Smiles, MH
Likes For Mad Honk:
Old 04-13-21, 08:27 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by Mad Honk
John,
Depends on what you want to have as a finished product. I have been using Pro Kote Indy for my frames. They powder coat and then I can decal and clear coat after they are done. They don't do anything other than the coating of the frame, but they are good. They do a chemical clean and the media blast and then the coating. I have done about ten frames with them and they are top notch and for the $250 they do the frame fork and bottle cages for me. A bunch of hot rodders that are old school and they do parts for the race world, including short track dirt, and the monster truck races. They turned me onto an old school chrome plating shop that currently has my Masi fork in for repairs. I'm sure Doug has a painter he uses that is very good. Perhaps that ride on I-94 from you to Niles should be in your future. Smiles, MH
Thanks, Id like a one stop shop. Its my Raleigh Competition GS. Need the factory style pin striping and decal work. Not sure if Im thrilled with a powder coat. Sometimes it goes on to thick and you cant read the lable on the dropouts.
Definately need to get up to Niles.

JJ
Old 04-13-21, 08:31 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by merziac
Jeffery Bock in Ames Iowa does phenomenal work.

Franklin frame

Yellow jersey?

Spectrum

@Doug Fattic?
Sent a message to Jeffery Bock

Thanks
Old 04-13-21, 08:34 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Check with Dave Wages too.
​​​​​​https://www.elliscycles.com/
Old 04-13-21, 09:11 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by dedhed
Check with Dave Wages too.
​​​​​​https://www.elliscycles.com/
There is someone riding around my town with an Ellis. Sick bicycles!

JJ
Old 04-13-21, 09:26 PM
Doug Fattic 
framebuilder

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 1,905 Times in 647 Posts
Yes of course I can do it but I haven't had a chance to do much painting lately. Covid has brought more interest in learning how to build frames and I'm having trouble finding enough time to teach everyone that is interested in the craft. I have several frames waiting for me to find time to paint them. They only way that is fair to my painting customers is not to promise a finish date no matter how much they beg. My teaching and even new students always comes 1st. I'm one of few people that have both teaching degrees and experience and learned to build frames from a master in England in the 70's and only have a limited time before winter comes and I can't do it anymore. I haven't lost it yet but obviously none of us live forever. My goal as always has been to set a very high standard for potential builders and painters to get enough knowledge to excel in the future. I get students from all over the world.

Jeff Bock is an outstanding painter. As good as anyone in the States. We've been buddies for years and frequently swap painting and building tips. He would be the 1st choice if I didn't paint frames myself.

A few times some customers have come to do the hard and time consuming work of stripping the paint and sanding the different layers (painting should more accurately be called sanding). I do the spraying. The time I spend in the paint booth doesn't compare to how long preparation takes.

One thing I took time to build and paint this spring was a new frame/bicycle for my wife. We've been enjoying riding bicycle trails and after she tried my upright bicycle with north road handlebars she really really wanted one for herself. I built mine as an example of how to braze and build a frame for my framebuilding class students. Here is a picture of hers right after I put on the final clear ooats. She loves the 650B X 42 tires.

Old 04-14-21, 01:45 AM
Andy_K 

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 522 Post(s)
Quoted: 3228 Post(s)
Liked 3,853 Times in 1,436 Posts
+1 on Jeff Bock. He painted my Stella and it's beautiful.

As I recall, you may have better luck calling him than waiting for a email response.
Old 04-14-21, 07:30 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5877 Post(s)
Liked 3,445 Times in 2,066 Posts
Jeff is local to me and does terrific work. I see his bikes out on the local trails. They're beautiful. I've had him do some repair work from time to time and he does fine work. He does respond to e-mails and he has a facebook page where you can see his work and contact him as well:

https://www.facebook.com/JeffreyBock...ycles/?fref=nf

Last edited by bikemig; 04-14-21 at 07:36 AM.
Old 04-14-21, 10:37 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10902 Post(s)
Liked 7,391 Times in 4,148 Posts
Originally Posted by jjhabbs
Sent a message to Jeffery Bock
I built a frame in Jeff's class a few years ago and he painted that frame. As many have already said, Jeff does awesome work.
He can add anything you want before painting- cable guides, bottle bosses, frame straightening, etc.
Jeff usually doesnt do pin striping, but instead uses a local guy that is crazy good(ive seen a lot of intricate examples that are super cool).

Whats really neat is that Jeff does a lot of refinishing and has a long standing connection to older Raleighs.
He still provides chroming thru a company he works with that chromes the racks he builds, which from what I have read, is less than common in certain areas due to regulations.
Old 04-14-21, 11:16 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,705 Times in 1,393 Posts
I was just at YJ. Andrew was showing off some recently painted frames. Nice stuff.
Old 04-14-21, 11:18 AM
iab

Mentioned: 200 Post(s)
Quoted: 2992 Post(s)
Liked 3,705 Times in 1,393 Posts
Lead time at Franklin is about 10 weeks. YJ is 2-3. Can't say for the rest.
Old 04-14-21, 11:45 AM
jjhabbs 

I talked with Jeff bock today. I am going to confirm that the frame set is not cracked. If it's not I will send it to him for paint and decals. Seems like a great guy.

I think everybody for their suggestions and recommendations. This bike will look awesome when it's finished.

Of course I'll have a video on it much to the chagrin of many that don't like watching my videos. Lol

JJ
Old 04-14-21, 01:09 PM
droppedandlost 
small ring

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 437 Post(s)
Liked 925 Times in 370 Posts
Of course I'll have a video on it much to the chagrin of many that don't like watching my videos. Lol

JJ
There's nothing wrong with your videos. I would just suggest adding a short summary / description so we know what it's about. A drive side pic (if it's a bike) would be nice too. If there's just a video and nothing else, I'm probably not clicking.
Old 04-14-21, 01:17 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4493 Post(s)
Liked 6,298 Times in 3,633 Posts
I talked with Jeff bock today. I am going to confirm that the frame set is not cracked. If it's not I will send it to him for paint and decals. Seems like a great guy.

I think everybody for their suggestions and recommendations. This bike will look awesome when it's finished.

JJ
Assuming you know that he is the guy if its cracked too.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-14-21, 02:33 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by droppedandlost
There's nothing wrong with your videos. I would just suggest adding a short summary / description so we know what it's about. A drive side pic (if it's a bike) would be nice too. If there's just a video and nothing else, I'm probably not clicking.

Thanks for the suggestions. Take a look at my Raleigh competition GS video and let me know if that's more in line with what you're talking about.

Thanks
JJ
Old 04-14-21, 03:28 PM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts

JJ
I don't understand why people get bent out of shape about your videos. I think they're nice. It's a great way to share your enjoyment of the stuff you enjoy with people that enjoy the same stuff.

Maybe people think you're making money off the videos...

I'd do it if I had cool ****.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Likes For The Golden Boy:
Old 04-14-21, 04:46 PM
jjhabbs 

Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
I don't understand why people get bent out of shape about your videos. I think they're nice. It's a great way to share your enjoyment of the stuff you enjoy with people that enjoy the same stuff.

I think some people assume I'm making money on them. I do not monetize my channel even though I have plenty of subscribers and watch hours. I also think when you do video you expose yourself definitely then when you're using text and pictures. Truth of life is not everyone likes everybody. So I open myself up to more scrutiny. As a whole most people have been very gracious towards me here. Only a few people have issues.

JJ
Old 04-14-21, 04:52 PM
jjhabbs 

According to the list of bicycles on your profile you have a lot of cool ****! Love the 620s 720s as well as the Miyata 1000! I have the 720 and 1000 on my wishlist. Unfortunately I have either bad timing when I come across one or they are in bad condition.

JJ
Old 04-14-21, 04:59 PM
Olefeller77 

Bikes: Trek Marlin 6 29r - Scattanti road bike w carbon fork - Trek 6500 - Univega Alpina 503 - Specialized Sworks M4 made in USA

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 57 Posts
I live in Illinois and I have a can of black and a brush. lol ( I'll charge a ton of money if you want to feel like I'm pro)
Likes For Olefeller77:
Old 04-14-21, 06:05 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1820 Post(s)
Liked 3,330 Times in 1,564 Posts
Originally Posted by Olefeller77
I live in Illinois and I have a can of black and a brush. lol ( I'll charge a ton of money if you want to feel like I'm pro)
I suspect that a black paint job might allow more errors without being visible (or not from a distance).

If you know the right folks, the paint job can be cheaper. A local friend had his Gianni Motta painted at a local auto paint shop. It helped that the fellow doing the painting was a friend and was a cyclist too... and was into older bikes also. Not exactly a common situation, but you never know.

a quick shot of the Gianni Motta and the black paint job...

Steve in Peoria
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-15-21, 09:04 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,678 Times in 926 Posts
According to the list of bicycles on your profile you have a lot of cool ****! Love the 620s 720s as well as the Miyata 1000! I have the 720 and 1000 on my wishlist. Unfortunately I have either bad timing when I come across one or they are in bad condition.

JJ
I’ll yap people’s ears off about my bikes all day long and get into every microscopically stupid minutiae of component choices- My pictures are usually terrible, I can only imagine any video I’d make would be more terrible-er.

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 04-15-21, 09:27 AM
jjhabbs 

I’ll yap people’s ears off about my bikes all day long and get into every microscopically stupid minutiae of component choices- My pictures are usually terrible, I can only imagine any video I’d make would be more terrible-er.
I hear ya. I dont choose to debate component choices myself... God bless

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.