Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Trek Marlin 4 or 5

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Trek Marlin 4 or 5

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-20, 05:07 PM
cma379

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Trek Marlin 4 or 5

Just getting into mountain biking. Nothing crazy light to medium trails. Was looking at the Trek Marlin 4 and Marlin 5. Any one have any incite on either bike. I’m mainly a road rider and ride the Domane but looking for a little more off road capability for a decent price. Thanks
Old 04-15-20, 10:49 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
They are both serviceable entry level mtbs. For entry level, I usually don't recommend the top brand names. You can get a considerably better setup with a GT or Diamondback at the same price.
Old 04-15-20, 10:57 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by cma379
Just getting into mountain biking. Nothing crazy light to medium trails. Was looking at the Trek Marlin 4 and Marlin 5. Any one have any incite on either bike. I’m mainly a road rider and ride the Domane but looking for a little more off road capability for a decent price. Thanks
I just perused the Trek website and it listed the derailleurs as Shimano Tourney. and it is 7 speed, which probably means a freehub instead of a freewheel. Do what you want, but I don't know about taking a bike with entry level components like that into the woods.
Old 04-15-20, 08:17 PM
dontcallmebrave

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by qclabrat
They are both serviceable entry level mtbs. For entry level, I usually don't recommend the top brand names. You can get a considerably better setup with a GT or Diamondback at the same price.
Yup, I ended up getting a GT Avalanche Elite on sale for the same price after tax as a Marlin 7 before tax and it's got way better components.
Likes For dontcallmebrave:
Old 04-16-20, 06:59 AM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by dontcallmebrave
Yup, I ended up getting a GT Avalanche Elite on sale for the same price after tax as a Marlin 7 before tax and it's got way better components.
And the Marlin 7, has considerably better parts than the 4 or 5.
Most people get sticker shock at what $1000 brings to the table nowadays, especially in mtbs.
Looking at something half the price doesn't look terrible in comparison.
Old 04-16-20, 08:18 AM
BirdsBikeBinocs

Bikes: Giant Talon 29 - Specialized Diverge E5 Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 33 Posts
I haven't compared components so I'll just throw this out there....

Last early Fall I bought a Giant Talon 3 29'er new for $500. It is by far the most fun I've had on a bicycle. I really don't think 500 bucks could buy a better bike.

Ride before you buy. In the end it was how the bike handled that trumped all other considerations. One word.... Fun.
Likes For BirdsBikeBinocs: