Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Putting foot out on clipless or no

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-21, 04:37 PM
milesf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

I have noticed that a lot of people and even some pro racers put their foot out on corners or slippery parts of the trail just to make sure they don't fall over. I have always used clipless and was wondering if this is something worth doing with clipless(unclipping to do it and then clipping back in later) or whether it was really only a flat pedal technique.
Old 02-22-21, 04:42 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Originally Posted by milesf
I have noticed that a lot of people and even some pro racers put their foot out on corners or slippery parts of the trail just to make sure they don't fall over. I have always used clipless and was wondering if this is something worth doing with clipless(unclipping to do it and then clipping back in later) or whether it was really only a flat pedal technique.

If you have to unclip , do it -- better than falling. I rode on very sandy trails and having to unclip and re-engage 50 feet later is a fact of life
Likes For DMC707:
Old 02-23-21, 12:25 AM
Chris Pringle

Bikes: '12 Rodriguez UTB Custom, '83 Miyata 610, '83 Nishiki Century Mixte (Work of Art), '18 Engin hardtail MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 18 Posts
Your legs/feet are part of your balancing regardless of type of pedal. So, unclipping (or taking foot off flat pedal) to further increase your balance is important. It won’t make you less of a rider or something should you use to go clipless. In fact, it shows that you know what you are doing to keep yourself safe. The tricky part, especially for beginners on clipless pedals, is being able to unclip/clip fast enough on technical sections.
Likes For Chris Pringle:
Old 02-23-21, 06:48 AM
metz1295

Bikes: '97 Cannondale M500; '14 Specialized Secteur Compact; '21 Trek Roscoe 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 12 Posts
If I had to guess, I would say the pro's plan where they will unclip and clip back in to help improve their time through certain situations. However, I can't think of a good example.
Old 02-24-21, 07:54 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 2,537 Times in 1,433 Posts
Typically, “dropping a foot” in a corner is not done to actually touch the ground with your foot but to change you balance on the bike. Putting a foot out to catch yourself “just in case” is usually a really bad idea.

It is useful sometime, but whether and when it is worth doing really comes down to how fast you are at getting back in the pedal, and what it is like riding before you do.

I use Frogs and can be clipped back in by the end of the next pedal stoke, so I drop a foot in a corner whenever it feels good.

Last edited by Kapusta; 02-24-21 at 07:57 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 02-24-21, 08:07 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
I usually just fall over and take my bruises as a sign of pride that I NEVER unclip. it's never worth it to let other riders know that you're not hardcore.
Old 02-24-21, 10:37 AM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Keep your feet on the pedals, clipped in or not. I ride motorcycles off road a lot, and if you have to dab a foot, you have already lost. No sense in getting your lower leg ran over in the process.
Old 02-25-21, 04:08 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by c_m_shooter
Keep your feet on the pedals, clipped in or not. I ride motorcycles off road a lot, and if you have to dab a foot, you have already lost. No sense in getting your lower leg ran over in the process.
Really? Very few people are racing all the time so there's no 'losing'. Nor is there any risk of getting run over. For the OP...do you really need to ask about this? Just try it and see, if it works for you it works. If it doesn't, don't do it.