Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

26 inch Rigid fork: Soma vs. Carver

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-21, 03:09 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 98 Times in 39 Posts

My current (suspension) fork A2C measurement is 410mm. Both replacement offerings are available in 440mm, but the Carver is also available in 410mm. From what I've read, 30mm isn't a huge enough difference to be really concerned about the change in steering angle.

The first obvious difference is the price, the Soma I've seen priced at a few retailers for around $150 or $160 ish. While the Carver through Bikeman is priced at $79. Even though the Soma is about double the price, it's not prohibitively expensive.

I may run a front rack or basket(no fenders), but I'm not worried about having a certain setup, so just some/ any eyelets will be fine.

The bike will be ridden decently hard, I have a lot of good mountain biking trails of all levels of difficulty local to me.

Both forks seem to weigh close enough to each other as well.

Is the Soma price tag just paying for brand name tubing? Or is it likely that the Soma is really quite a bit nicer than the Carver? Butting, finish, welds etc. From people's experience on the forums, the Carver forks are quite good as far as cheap forks go.

Just looking for overall thoughts on these choices...

Oh yeah this is the bike:
Old 03-31-21, 11:41 PM
JacobLee 
Total Scrounge

Bikes: 71 International 72 Super Course 83 Gap

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 924 Times in 310 Posts
I bought a Carver and I like it just fine. I’d base the decision on whether you’d want to look at straight or curved blades on that particular bike.
Old 04-01-21, 07:48 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
The mid-blade mounts on the Carver are a bonus. I think the straight blades would look at home on your frame.
No experience with either. When I needed a fork for my Stumpjumper, I found a chrome Tange in the basement of the LBS. It was cheap and it works.
Old 04-01-21, 08:19 AM
mechanicmatt
Hoards Thumbshifters

Bikes: '23 Black Mtn MC, '87 Bruce Gordon Chinook, '08 Jamis Aurora, '86 Trek 560, '97 Mongoose Rockadile, & '91 Trek 750

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 246 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 192 Posts
The Soma brand tends to make their forks out of Tange Infinity tubing which I think is meant to be lighter, and being curved would have some theoretical damping due to the nature of the curve. The Carver is based off the old Kona P2 fork designs, which are nice forks too, and having a midfork eyelets is pretty nice.

If it were my money I'd probably take the Carver, I have a P2 Kona at 410mm on an old Mongoose and I think it's great. Save the money for more fun parts.
Old 04-01-21, 10:39 AM
2old

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 883 Post(s)
Liked 823 Times in 622 Posts
I purchased a Carver and had some difficulty fitting it, but can't remember exactly. Anyway, it's held up well for a couple of years. If I were looking for a rigid fork now, first place would be Surly, then Of Spirit bikes (Mark Slate's company).
Old 04-01-21, 10:56 AM
daverup 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 871 Times in 417 Posts
Originally Posted by RALEIGH_COMP

My current (suspension) fork A2C measurement is 410mm. Both replacement offerings are available in 440mm, but the Carver is also available in 410mm. From what I've read, 30mm isn't a huge enough difference to be really concerned about the change in steering angle.

The first obvious difference is the price, the Soma I've seen priced at a few retailers for around $150 or $160 ish. While the Carver through Bikeman is priced at $79. Even though the Soma is about double the price, it's not prohibitively expensive.

I may run a front rack or basket(no fenders), but I'm not worried about having a certain setup, so just some/ any eyelets will be fine.

The bike will be ridden decently hard, I have a lot of good mountain biking trails of all levels of difficulty local to me.

Both forks seem to weigh close enough to each other as well.

Is the Soma price tag just paying for brand name tubing? Or is it likely that the Soma is really quite a bit nicer than the Carver? Butting, finish, welds etc. From people's experience on the forums, the Carver forks are quite good as far as cheap forks go.

Just looking for overall thoughts on these choices...

Oh yeah this is the bike:
I overhauled my wife's older aluminum Gary Fisher hybrid. It had a blown front suspension fork, I went with the Soma,

Old 04-01-21, 08:12 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

Bikes: 78 raleigh competition 70's Gitane Hosteller, '85 StumpJumper, 90's Rockhopper Commuter, '68 Raleigh Sports, 2018 Giant Talon 2

Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning more toward the Carver now I think. It comes in 410mm, the strait blades will look better on the frame, and money saved can go into some nicer tires. Thanks again for the input, always helps to get extra opinions when decision making.
Old 04-02-21, 05:12 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
I purchased a Carver and had some difficulty fitting it, but can't remember exactly. Anyway, it's held up well for a couple of years. If I were looking for a rigid fork now, first place would be Surly, then Of Spirit bikes (Mark Slate's company).
I couldn't find a picture of the Of Spirit fork any where. The Of Spirit page had a price but no pictures that I could find.

P.S. I found this: https://www.amazon.ca/OS-Bikes-Mount.../dp/B07P1BN293

Last edited by bark_eater; 04-02-21 at 05:18 AM.
Old 04-02-21, 10:30 AM
2old

Originally Posted by bark_eater
I couldn't find a picture of the Of Spirit fork any where. The Of Spirit page had a price but no pictures that I could find.

P.S. I found this: https://www.amazon.ca/OS-Bikes-Mount.../dp/B07P1BN293
That looks like it. I was on a weight weenie kick 10 or so years ago, changed the fork to a Niner carbon, and can't remember the one before that. BTW, the SOMA looks great and I've always liked curved forks since they provide the illusion of some bump absorption (possibly only an illusion though). Depending on your budget and goals there are less expensive alternatives. I purchased a Sunlite fork for about $30 for my daughter's e-bike, and, while mild steel, it's very serviceable (she rides bike paths and street only.

Last edited by 2old; 04-02-21 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-03-21, 07:26 AM
bark_eater 

Bikes: Road ready: 1993 Koga Miyata City Liner Touring Hybrid, 1989 Centurion Sport DLX, "I Blame GP" Bridgestone CB-1. Projects: Yea, I got a problem....

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 753 Post(s)
Liked 737 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by 2old
That looks like it.
Absolute thread drift here, with disk brake content. When I went looking for a picture of this fork, which apparently is a 29" fork, I found the geometry charts on the OS website and a random forum discussion of how the fork is short and has a relatively high rake, and the OS bike with the ridged fork has a very low trail number for a 29" mountain bike. I'm going to have to go back and re-read some things, but this fork might be a good candidate for running a 29" fork on a 26" frame and ending up with a a reasonable trail number.
Old 04-03-21, 01:56 PM
2old

Notice the fork is constructed with three different AC lengths; the shortest 435mm is about an inch longer than many rigid 410 mm 26" forks.
Old 04-19-21, 09:27 AM
RALEIGH_COMP 

I got the Carver!

Just got the fork installed, only had the chance to ride around the block. First impressions compared to the original fork: lighter and more precise feeling. I'll take some more pictures and let you guys know how it handles out on the trails.

Next will likely be a new handlebar/stem combo, something with a good amount of rise and sweep. Maybe the velo orange klunker bars, or a Jones Hbar. It would just be nice to shorten the steerer some more! Lol
Old 04-22-21, 07:04 PM
RALEIGH_COMP 

I like it

The fork feels great! Rides much like it did before, but without that *BOOIING!!* feeling when you hit bumps. Lol. But I'd say perfect for an old short travel 410mm A2C suspension fork replacement.
Likes For RALEIGH_COMP:
Old 05-29-21, 03:21 PM
mike_in_nyc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Hello. I’m in a similar situation as the original poster and was hoping to get some advice. I have a 2001 Marin Hawk Hill which I use primarily for riding around town and on rail trails. I would like to swap out the insync grind 328 fork for a rigid fork. The axel to crown measures 450mm with me not in the bike. I can’t find specs on the fork but I think it’s 80mm of travel. To me the bike sits a little high in the front so I wouldn’t mind it being lowered a little but I don’t want to totally mess up the handling. I was hoping to get an inexpensive fork on Amazon but they all seem to be around 395mm or less.

The forks I have identified as possibilities are;

Carver 410mm
Carver 440mm
Soma 440mm
Surly Troll 420mm
Dimension 395mm

If I take into account 15-20mm of sag it seems I would be between 410 and 440mm. Any thoughts on which way to go? Also, I’m currently riding Schwalbe Marathon tires in 26x1.5 so I don’t need massive amounts of tire clearance and don’t ever anticipate needing it.

Thanks for your help.