Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

fix for old chronic lyme rider?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-21, 11:54 AM
qkcam

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hi
i was trying to put some upright handle bars on an old Marin mountain bike to take the pressure off my neck when i ride. I noticed the frame has a hairline crack at the bottom of the head just above the fork. . darn!
I have chronic lyme and not much energy.. was hoping to just be able to get the handlebars on and go out for a nice easy bike ride... ( i used to ride my bike all the time growing up for hours and hours all day in the summer) Now i will be lucky to be able to ride around the block.. without body setting me back.

I have been thinking about trying to make a little fix to the frame for just some light riding..(ALLOY FRAME)

JB WELD marine and 2 hose clamps .. any idea if that will work for a light weight rider?
i hate to invest in a new / used bike only to find out I wont be able to really use it. the body seems to have it's own agenda.
thanks
seems i can't yet post any pictures.. thanks
Old 04-02-21, 01:45 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3667 Post(s)
Liked 5,420 Times in 2,756 Posts
Doesn't sound like a good idea.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 04-02-21, 02:17 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4201 Post(s)
Liked 3,857 Times in 2,305 Posts
This forum requires at least 10 previous posts before links and photos can be displayed. However some will write out a link (to a photo sharing site) with "dot" for "." or "at" for "@". This is to discourage spam and other un needed crud.

Cracked head tubes generally don't fail in a manor that results in instant loss of control. Just the same we are talking about one's steering so...

Sorry to hear of your Lyme. I have a friend who had it real bad for years. It took some of that time for her to be diagnosed and by then it had gotten into her organs. She's much better now although her spine lost a few inches of length! Andy
Old 04-02-21, 06:08 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 448 Times in 337 Posts
If I said yes and the frame failed and you got hurt I'd have a hard time living with myself.
Old 04-02-21, 06:17 PM
qkcam

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
This forum requires at least 10 previous posts before links and photos can be displayed. However some will write out a link (to a photo sharing site) with "dot" for "." or "at" for "@". This is to discourage spam and other un needed crud.

Cracked head tubes generally don't fail in a manor that results in instant loss of control. Just the same we are talking about one's steering so...

Sorry to hear of your Lyme. I have a friend who had it real bad for years. It took some of that time for her to be diagnosed and by then it had gotten into her organs. She's much better now although her spine lost a few inches of length! Andy
thanks Andy I dont have any photo sharing site.. but over all it sounds like not a good idea..so i guess i will start over handlebar modifaction on a different cheapy bike if/ when i find one.
Sorry to hear about your friends Lyme and her spine! it is encouraging that she got better. how did she do that? it is so hard to get an "offical " diagnoises.. most mainstream medicine dr's do not believe in "chronic lyme" and the only dr's that believe and will Rx for it are $1000 for first visit.
crazy what happened with your friend .. I have been dealing with this for 20 years..and almost just can't take it any more. too much of life to miss you know
Old 04-02-21, 09:35 PM
themp

Bikes: Specialized Crosstrail

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 44 Posts
My daughter-in-law has had great success with this doctor:

https://www.jemsekspecialty.com/

The key is you have to follow and do exactly what they prescribe. No short cuts or putting things off. It was not easy and took dedication to the process to overcome the disease.
Old 04-03-21, 10:32 AM
qkcam

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by themp
My daughter-in-law has had great success with this doctor:

The key is you have to follow and do exactly what they prescribe. No short cuts or putting things off. It was not easy and took dedication to the process to overcome the disease.
thank you for the link I will check them out. I am on the west coast and alot of the LLMDs are now looking at CIRS from water damaged buildings as a reason why lyme patients dont get better. CIRS = chronic inflammatory response syndrome.. will be interesting to see what Jemsekspeciality has to offer. trying to get away from "mold" seems nearly impossible. . it is always good to hear of people that have made recoveries . thanks again!
Old 04-03-21, 10:56 AM
qkcam

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I hear that! thank you
Old 04-03-21, 10:57 AM
qkcam

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by oldbobcat
If I said yes and the frame failed and you got hurt I'd have a hard time living with myself.
i would probably have a hard time living with myself too. last thing i need is more injuries.
Old 04-03-21, 01:22 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
Originally Posted by qkcam
thanks Andy I dont have any photo sharing site..
Try this one....... BIKE FORUMS Gallery

It's a tab near the top of the site page you are looking at right now. Might also be a limit on how many times you can post in 24 hours. You might be up against that too now. But upload to the gallery and maybe we'll find it under your user name.