Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Today I (v2):

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 11:24 AM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Bikes: Swobo Sanchez 3x1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 137 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by SquidPuppet
You should be able to manage or "stay ahead" of the pain if they gave you strong enough meds. Staying ahead of the pain will help you heal much faster too. I learned that the hard way 25 years ago when I was trying to be a tough guy by not taking pain meds. I'd at least call the orthopedic surgeon to ask if what you are going through is normal.
yeah, i'm not really sure how to do that tho when i'm already taking the max prescribed dosage of everything.

pain is a little bit more managed today, i think i just can't really get up more than once or twice or longer than 5 minutes. its kind of a different type of pain now, more constant. its all just kind of weird how a few days ago the pain started getting way better and then it crashed again.

Last edited by bike_galpal; 06-19-16 at 11:30 AM.
Old 06-19-16, 11:25 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Bikes: 3 Chinese Gas Pipe Nerdcycles and 2 Chicago Electroforged Boat Anchors

Mentioned: 75 Post(s)
Quoted: 2358 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 26 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyTrash
yeah, i'm not really sure how to do that tho when i'm already taking the max prescribed dosage of everything.
Then I'd call your Doc sooner rather than later.
Old 06-19-16, 11:42 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4346 Post(s)
Liked 3,983 Times in 2,661 Posts

pain is a little bit more managed today, i think i just can't really get up more than once or twice or longer than 5 minutes. its kind of a different type of pain now, more constant. its all just kind of weird how a few days ago the pain started getting way better and then it crashed again.
Call your doctor! 100 times out of 100 call your doctor even if you think it is a stupid question or they might not be able to do anything. They need to know what is going on so they can try to help or at least keep tabs especially after surgery or something like that.
Old 06-19-16, 11:42 AM
hockeyteeth

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You should be able to manage or "stay ahead" of the pain if they gave you strong enough meds. Staying ahead of the pain will help you heal much faster too. I learned that the hard way 25 years ago when I was trying to be a tough guy by not taking pain meds. I'd at least call the orthopedic surgeon to ask if what you are going through is normal.
I'm curious why it is so beneficial to minimize sensation of pain. I would have assumed the pain keeps you from exceeding your damaged body's capabilities during healing to avoid exacerbating the injury. What's the rationale here?
Old 06-19-16, 12:10 PM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by hockeyteeth
I'm curious why it is so beneficial to minimize sensation of pain. I would have assumed the pain keeps you from exceeding your damaged body's capabilities during healing to avoid exacerbating the injury. What's the rationale here?
In a few of my injuries the pain was so severe that it caused my muscles to be in a constant state of spasm, causing inflammation and knotting. It's my understanding that this can restrict blood flow to the area which slows healing. If the inflammation is bad/big enough it'll irritate other things in the area. I was also told that the reduction of range of motion due to pain slows the rehabilitation process in certain injuries. For example, if you just stopped using your right arm for six weeks. It would atrophy and be weak and sore when you started using it again.

Of course what you say is true and important and common sense needs to be applied to each individual situation. Just because HappyTrash is on enough meds to be pain free doesn't mean it's OK for him to do squats or ride a bike until his knee heals.

On my recent fractured heel bone I was on enough dope to be pain free, but I didn't dare put my foot on the ground until enough weeks had passed to allow the bone to heal. During those weeks I was able to do range of motion exercises which prevented damage to my Achilles tendon which can occur due to immobility.

Pain is definitely mother natures way of preventing you from making an injury worse . But pain doesn't facilitate the healing process.

Last edited by SquidPuppet; 06-19-16 at 12:17 PM.
Old 06-19-16, 12:15 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3587 Post(s)
Liked 3,399 Times in 1,933 Posts
Originally Posted by hockeyteeth
There's a fine line here. While pain does help prevent you from additional injury, it can also prevent you from mobilizing the joint, which can lead to range of motion issues. Having worked in in-patient orthopedics, we would give patients pain medication prior to their physical therapy sessions to help prevent these problems.

OP: are you doing any physical therapy? I would contact the MD in any case, as increased pain after surgery can be a sign of a problem.
Old 06-19-16, 03:02 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
@seau grateau that Ridley is an amazing value.
Right? Even though it;s a Tiagra build, I couldn't believe how cheap it was. Sometimes it's tough to even find a good singlespeed at that price.
Old 06-19-16, 04:02 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2632 Post(s)
Liked 3,145 Times in 1,655 Posts
Ya, and honestly, Tiagra is totes fine imo. Sora is pretty crappy, but Tiagra > Sora in more than a few ways.
Old 06-19-16, 06:49 PM
Kindaslow

Bikes: SWorks Stumpy, Haibike Xduro RX, Crave SS

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
Finishing off Father's Day going to see the Rock and that other guy in their new movie. Probably going to be a stupid movie, but funny stupid...
Old 06-19-16, 11:13 PM
TenSpeedV2

Bikes: Felt TK2, Felt Z5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
My face when I grease the seat post and then the only sound I can hear is the tires on the road....

Old 06-19-16, 11:20 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by TenSpeedV2
My face when I grease the seat post and then the only sound I can hear is the tires on the road....

Are you sure that is not your, "I just filled my diaper and it isn't bugging me yet" face?
Old 06-20-16, 07:03 AM
Unkle Rico

Bikes: CENTURION / LOOK / Bianchi

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 214 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
It was so hot here in Denver yesterday that my Bern helmut started to bubble
Old 06-20-16, 08:55 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

Originally Posted by Kindaslow
Are you sure that is not your, "I just filled my diaper and it isn't bugging me yet" face?

^That is my new chain face.

And this is my strong headwind face

Old 06-20-16, 08:57 AM
jacobsever

Bikes: Super Pisa, Vigorelli, Scrambler

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Unkle Rico
It was so hot here in Denver yesterday that my Bern helmut started to bubble
Yeah, yesterday was easily a "stay at home" kinda day. I bought a new rear wheel & installed it, then took it on a short little 2 mile ride through the neighborhood. That was enough for me.
Old 06-20-16, 10:45 AM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Then I'd call your Doc sooner rather than later.
Originally Posted by veganbikes
Call your doctor! 100 times out of 100 call your doctor even if you think it is a stupid question or they might not be able to do anything. They need to know what is going on so they can try to help or at least keep tabs especially after surgery or something like that.
called in last night and after talking to someone a lot about the pain i was told i'd get a call early this morning to let me know when i could come in later today. didn't happen, had to call them myself. talked to a few different ppl again and now waiting for a call back from the actual surgeon. definitely glad i'm gonna get to talk to her soon but she might be in surgery so it could be an hour or 2.

anyway i have a follow up appointment in another week, i'm pretty sure i'm gonna get more oxy (like an actual higher dose) but i might wait to go in. i have to move from my girlfriends house to my dads house today so thats already gonna cause me enough pain when it catches up with me.

i took the brace and the wrap of today (which i'm allowed to do) and its really terrible under there.... so upsetting. the wrap had gotten a little messed up so my muscle had actually gotten some malformed bumps on it. and theres a ton of bruising, not from the accident itself, i guess its just how compression bandaging works. all of its on the underside of my leg.
Old 06-20-16, 10:47 AM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
omg, i can't believe my dad actually guilted me for not doing anything for fathers day.

like hi, i'm alive ok i'm doing my best here.
Old 06-20-16, 10:52 AM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
In a few of my injuries the pain was so severe that it caused my muscles to be in a constant state of spasm, causing inflammation and knotting. It's my understanding that this can restrict blood flow to the area which slows healing. If the inflammation is bad/big enough it'll irritate other things in the area. I was also told that the reduction of range of motion due to pain slows the rehabilitation process in certain injuries. For example, if you just stopped using your right arm for six weeks. It would atrophy and be weak and sore when you started using it again.

Of course what you say is true and important and common sense needs to be applied to each individual situation. Just because HappyTrash is on enough meds to be pain free doesn't mean it's OK for him to do squats or ride a bike until his knee heals.

On my recent fractured heel bone I was on enough dope to be pain free, but I didn't dare put my foot on the ground until enough weeks had passed to allow the bone to heal. During those weeks I was able to do range of motion exercises which prevented damage to my Achilles tendon which can occur due to immobility.

Pain is definitely mother natures way of preventing you from making an injury worse . But pain doesn't facilitate the healing process.

i'm a girl just fyi

i've heard all this too, but i'm a little worried that a few times when the painkillers actually worked, i got excited and did too much and ****ed something up, cause the pain was way worse later...
Old 06-20-16, 11:13 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

. and theres a ton of bruising, not from the accident itself, i guess its just how compression bandaging works. all of its on the underside of my leg.
I'm not a doc but I'm pretty sure all that bruising is normal. It's just a delayed appearance. It usually gets much worse looking before it gets better. Let us know what the doc says.
Old 06-20-16, 11:17 AM
SquidPuppet
Calamari Marionette Ph.D

i'm a girl just fyi..
Well you still shouldn't do any squats or biking yet.

Yeah, don't be fooled by the comfort of the pain meds. You still have to follow doc's orders about movement and weight bearing.
Old 06-20-16, 11:31 AM
bike_galpal
Banned.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well you still shouldn't do any squats or biking yet.

Yeah, don't be fooled by the comfort of the pain meds. You still have to follow doc's orders about movement and weight bearing.
what? didn't you know us girls can do squats at any time, under any circumstances? its like using a powerup in an RPG

no but i am, i'm being very careful with it. the doctors instructions are actually pretty lenient, some weight bearing is allowed even right after surgery. tho i guess its not a weight bearing bone so that makes some sense.
Old 06-21-16, 04:48 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Today the new layout is strange and uncomfortable.
Old 06-21-16, 05:16 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Ding dong, a package from China arrived at my door

Well, I had only been back from grocery shopping for a couple of minutes when my door bell rang. Thought it might just be a salesperson or Mormon missionary, but to my surprise it was a box from China with my Heavy Pedal Tempo wheelset that Scrod ordered for me six weeks ago. I must say these wheels are really nice and I think well worth the cost. Total weight with tires, tubes, cog and lockring is about 5.3 lbs. Now, all I need is my Wrath frameset to arrive, and I can build a bike !

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 06-21-16 at 06:15 PM.
Old 06-21-16, 06:19 PM
Carcosa

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 332 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
I'm too old for change.
Old 06-21-16, 06:21 PM
websterrr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seau grateau
Old 06-21-16, 06:35 PM
Kindaslow

Originally Posted by Carcosa
I'm too old for change.
Change is bad and evil...except when it means NBD!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.