Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Was this how they built bikes in the 80s/90s?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Was this how they built bikes in the 80s/90s?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-24, 07:45 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3597 Post(s)
Liked 3,421 Times in 1,946 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
As I pointed out, early index derailleurs didn’t use compressionless housing.
True, but as more and more sprockets were piled onto the rear cluster, and longer housing runs used to mount shifters on handlebars became more common, indexed shifting performance became increasingly sensitive to housing compression, and compressionless housing was introduced to maintain decent shifting performance.
Likes For JohnDThompson:
Old 04-10-24, 07:47 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3554 Post(s)
Liked 2,971 Times in 1,799 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
True, but as more and more sprockets were piled onto the rear cluster, and longer housing runs used to mount shifters on handlebars became more common, shifting performance became increasingly sensitive to housing compression, and compressionless housing was introduced to maintain decent shifting performance.
Absolutely.
Old 04-10-24, 07:58 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 2,181 Times in 1,329 Posts
So about 15 years ago or so I bought some Kelly Take-offs with the idea that I would use them on my wife's bike. I opted for STI's. Tried them on another bike and hated them and tossed them in a bin.

However, I ended up putting the Take-offs on my road bike until I could find 8 speed non-Claris STI's (came close to using Tiagra 4700's, but that's another story). Everything shifted well and I am acclimating to them. It helps that the DT left shifter is spring loaded Ultegra, and the right is indexed.

I started having shifting problems and it turned out that the stupid noodle setup wouldn't accept a ferrule for the shift cable but the strands were pulling through; which I should have seen coming. I decided to use some Jagwire 5mm brake housing despite some misgivings. It is about 16" to the DT boss cable stop. So far I have not had any problems with the indexing and it is nice to keep my hands on the bars despite the required gyrations.

I think these are the original 4mm, but they are now 5mm.

John
Old 04-10-24, 08:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4218 Post(s)
Liked 3,904 Times in 2,328 Posts
There are a lot of mechanical designs that worked well when they came out, only to see improvements later. Andy (not saying more about this view of recent past)
Old 04-11-24, 09:21 AM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 343 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
I started having shifting problems and it turned out that the stupid noodle setup wouldn't accept a ferrule for the shift cable but the strands were pulling through; which I should have seen coming. I decided to use some Jagwire 5mm brake housing despite some misgivings. It is about 16" to the DT boss cable stop. So far I have not had any problems with the indexing and it is nice to keep my hands on the bars despite the required gyrations.
John
Had the same issue 2.5 years back.
Just got a 'new' 1982 Holdsworth Avanti so of course I checked it over and replaced the cables with fancy new Shimano ones.
Shifter cable kept pulling through the chain stay cable stop.

After some research I realised Shimano introduced 4mm shifter cables around 1984.
So of course my cable stops were for 5mm cables.

Replaced the cable outer with 5mm Shimano brake outer and everything was fine, and stayed that way - even works friction shifting 8 speed.
Old 04-11-24, 10:32 AM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 1,607 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Had the same issue 2.5 years back.
Just got a 'new' 1982 Holdsworth Avanti so of course I checked it over and replaced the cables with fancy new Shimano ones.
Shifter cable kept pulling through the chain stay cable stop.

After some research I realised Shimano introduced 4mm shifter cables around 1984.
So of course my cable stops were for 5mm cables.

Replaced the cable outer with 5mm Shimano brake outer and everything was fine, and stayed that way - even works friction shifting 8 speed.
There are narrow ferrules for 4mm housing that fit those holes in both cases.
Old 04-11-24, 11:17 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 419 Times in 277 Posts
5mm brake coil wound housing gets the steel ferrules.

4mm compressionless get the plastic ones. They may exist steel ones, but the plastic ones work fine.

Ferrules ends are a MUST. There are naysayers here that claim they are not required, they can believe what they want as long as they don't touch my bikes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
ferrules.jpg (49.3 KB, 134 views)
Old 04-11-24, 12:27 PM
Aubergine 
Bad example

Bikes: Peugeot: AO-8 1973, PA-10 1971, PR-10 1973, Sante 1988; Masi Gran Criterium 1975, Stevenson Tourer 1980, Stevenson Criterium 1981, Schwinn Paramount 1972, Rodriguez 2006, Gitane Federal ~1975, Holdsworth Pro, Follis 172 ~1973, Bianchi '62

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 844 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 116 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean

4mm compressionless get the plastic ones. They may exist steel ones, but the plastic ones work fine.
I can't agree. The wires in the compressionless housing shift over time, and they are sharp. They'll poke right through the plastic ferrules. Even the metal 4mm ferrules can be distorted by the wires. Whenever I tune a bike I'll check and trim the ends of the derailleur housings to get rid of the poke-y wires, and cap them with good metal ferrules.
Old 04-11-24, 08:46 PM
Kontact

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 4469 Post(s)
Liked 1,607 Times in 1,056 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean

Ferrules ends are a MUST. There are naysayers here that claim they are not required, they can believe what they want as long as they don't touch my bikes.
You're aware that Shimano brake levers and road calipers do not and cannot use ferrules?

Last edited by Kontact; 04-11-24 at 08:50 PM.
Likes For Kontact:
Old 04-12-24, 09:50 AM
smd4

Originally Posted by Kontact
You're aware that Shimano brake levers and road calipers do not and cannot use ferrules?
A bit of a misleading blanket statement. Mine do. That's how I'm able to use compressionless housing.

Last edited by smd4; 04-12-24 at 10:23 AM.
Old 04-12-24, 02:20 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2157 Post(s)
Liked 3,426 Times in 1,211 Posts
Originally Posted by Kontact
Jagwire POPS and others that have a reduced insert circumference work fine.
But yes, many Shimano brake calipers were designed to work well without a ferrule.
Old 04-13-24, 05:29 PM
Kimmo

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1529 Post(s)
Liked 718 Times in 510 Posts
Never come across this 'laminated' housing; the fourth kind that Suntour talks about, where the liner and outer sheath are somehow 'mechanically locked' with the housing wire... Suspect it wasn't really a thing.

One type of housing not mentioned here is the segmented stuff. Tried a few; I like Nokon Slimline and Jagwire Elite Link.

The segmented stuff seems spendy, until you realise it never dies; you can just replace the liners, and unlike any other housing, invisibly extend it.
Old 04-13-24, 08:08 PM
KCT1986

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 348 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
Never come across this 'laminated' housing; the fourth kind that Suntour talks about, where the liner and outer sheath are somehow 'mechanically locked' with the housing wire... Suspect it wasn't really a thing.

One type of housing not mentioned here is the segmented stuff. Tried a few; I like Nokon Slimline and Jagwire Elite Link.

The segmented stuff seems spendy, until you realise it never dies; you can just replace the liners, and unlike any other housing, invisibly extend it.
The info from Suntour was from the late 80s when there were many problems with Accushift equipped bikes. One of the issues was probably from the continued use of brake housing instead of the specified housing.

What Suntour called 'laminated' is probably similar to the higher quality wound brake housing that we currently have, (think Jagwire CGX).

At the time of the document, brake housing was often made as described in the document as 'lined'. The liner was not fixed to the steel spiral winding and could be pulled out.
Old 04-15-24, 12:16 PM
sweeks

Bikes: Airborne "Carpe Diem", Motobecane "Mirage", Trek 6000, Strida 2, Dahon "Helios XL", Dahon "Mu XL", Tern "Verge S11i"

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 982 Post(s)
Liked 587 Times in 403 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
It wasn't until later that the "SIS" compressionless cable with linear wires came along (which, in a twist, some of us now use for brakes).
Be sure to distinguish between Compressionless Brake Housing and the compressionless housing used for shifting. The latter may rupture under the higher forces used for braking; the consequences could be, as Albus Dumbledore might say, severe.
Likes For sweeks:
Old 04-15-24, 12:50 PM
smd4

Originally Posted by sweeks
Be sure to distinguish between Compressionless Brake Housing and the compressionless housing used for shifting. The latter may rupture under the higher forces used for braking; the consequences could be, as Albus Dumbledore might say, severe.
Good point.