Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Can any bike be converted for use?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-16, 01:27 PM
elbandito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've got an 80's Nishiki International that I'd like to turn into something more... versatile. It's a decent enough touring bike and it makes for an okay road bike but I feel like I could get a whole lot more use out of it if I could make it a more "all-purpose" ride. Do you all have any definite "no-no" type things to look out for when converting a bike? Thanks
Old 08-01-16, 01:29 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The main thing is clearance for tires.
Old 08-01-16, 01:42 PM
elbandito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
The main thing is clearance for tires.
Please elaborate. I'm a newb.
Old 08-01-16, 01:48 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,361 Posts
What size were the original wheels/tires? 700c or 27"?

You might also be able to go to 650b if the diameter is close. Then the width will come into play, but many of the older frames may at least have moderate clearance for wider tires.

Brakes can be a bit of an issue for changing rim sizes.

Older frames might not be as rugged as newer purpose-bult cross frames, but may be just fine for gravel.

Measure your frame experiment some, and have fun.

Originally Posted by elbandito
The issue is that many old frames weren't made for really large tires. You may have to experiment some. Converting from 27" to 700c will give you slightly better tire clearance, but also may require new long-reach brakes.
Old 08-01-16, 01:59 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Originally Posted by elbandito
The fatter the better for off road or unpaved roads. If you can't fit anything bigger than 28mm wide tires, I would pass.

[edit]

As an example, for my first season of CX, I converted a 1989 Trek 660. That was a very fine race bike in its day, designed for 23mm tires. I scoured the internet for the skinniest knobby tires I could find (Kenda Kwicks), which just barely cleared the brakes in the front and the chain stays in back. It was fine for its first CX race in September when it was hot and dusty. Not so great when it was rainy and muddy in November. Mud got so jammed up that the wheels literally would not turn and I had to run most of the course. The next season I bought a proper CX frame.

Last edited by caloso; 08-01-16 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-02-16, 10:11 AM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
The tire clearance issue is to the side. I have a road bike built for 700x23 tires. It will fit 25's, but they're tight. 28's will not fit (they hit the chainstays). This frame was built for the road and nothing else, it'll never be a good gravel grinder.

OTOH, many of the older 27x1.25" tired bikes can fit a 700x35 tire because they were built with extra clearance. These are good targets for conversion.
Old 08-02-16, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Sure Its just like the old days Before all that Pavement was Laid down..

It's already all Purposed , Just Marketing Makes you feel you Need a special bike for riding on un paved roads.
Old 08-02-16, 01:18 PM
bulldog1935
Banned.

Bikes: '74 Raleigh International utility; '98 Moser Forma road; '92 Viner Pro CX upright

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 939 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I found this, this bike is ready to go on gravel
https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/...page_id=191462

With those little side pulls he shows, you could go to long-reach side-pulls and do the 650b conversion, which would let you run 38 if not 42mm tires.
Old 08-04-16, 10:47 AM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

It's already all Purposed , Just Marketing Makes you feel you Need a special bike for riding on un paved roads.
People weren't riding skinny tire carbon racing bikes a century ago when the roads were laid down. Skinny tires don't work very well at all on dirt and gravel.
Old 08-04-16, 11:45 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 11012 Post(s)
Liked 7,543 Times in 4,218 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob

Absurd.
I could take my sport-touring bike with 32s out and ride 40mi of gravel roads with it, but it wouldnt be fun. Fenders chattering for hours, squirrely sliding on turns, tires that dig in rather than roll over looser ground...doesnt sound like fun to me.

I have that for day rides with friends on paved trails all over my region.

Marketing didnt tell me I need anything. Quite the opposite, considering I only have steel frames and my newest completed bike is from 1990. But somehow because I recognize I enjoy gravel rides and wanted a bike which is better set up for it, I bought into the marketing hype.
Again, absurd.

Your absurd comment could apply to mountainbiking. Why develop that entire segment of cycling? We should have just continued to hop on heavy steel clunkers and ridden them down Mt Tam! All this specialization to geometry and equipment is dumb. right?

Oh, or touring- why should there be a segment of bikes with thicker tubing, relaxed geometry, and lots of mounting points?!? People should just slap a backpacking bag on their backs and ride that aggressive 23mm tire road bike!

etc etc etc.