Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

New to SPD pedals, is there a trick to keeping the pedals in the correct orientation?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

New to SPD pedals, is there a trick to keeping the pedals in the correct orientation?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-12, 08:14 AM
JustinNY

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Shimano 105 SPD pedals, Shimano R087g shoes with 3 hole cleats.

I found no difficulty unclipping, and the ride quality is substantially improved over toe clips but after clipping in my right foot, once I was moving, I found myself struggling to get the left pedal oriented correctly to clip in. This meant I was taking me eyes off the road to look down at the pedal.

Is there a trick to doing this? Possibly an adjustment I can make to the pedal itself, or technique I can use when unclipping to keep the pedal oriented correctly?

Or is this just one or those things that naturally over time you find a rhythm?
Old 04-26-12, 08:20 AM
fstshrk

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
At least with Look Keo's, it is a matter of grabbing the pedal with the front of the shoe and rotating them until I am ready to clip in. I have gotten used to it.

Speedplay-s do not have this problem.
Old 04-26-12, 08:23 AM
Elevation

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
practice clipping in while on a trainer or leaning against something. I found SPD's harder to clip in at first that look pedals because you really cant see when you're about to clip in.
Old 04-26-12, 08:26 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sounds like you're enjoying the "fun" of realizing that the pedal naturally rests "upside down"? My trick is to use my toes to turn the pedal over and then slide my foot forward and then it's easy to clip in. Just practice in a parking lot a couple dozen times and you'll get the hang of it.
Old 04-26-12, 08:27 AM
pallen
Descends like a rock

Bikes: Scott Foil, Surly Pacer

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Seems like I remember the bearing being a little stiffer when they were new. After some break-in, they should always point up when you're unclipped. You catch the loop sticking up with your cleat while moving your foot forward across the pedal. It never gets to 100% - sometimes they are swinging too much and I still have to look down to see what's going on.

EDIT: Wait. I just realized you're probably talking about the SPD mountain pedals and not the SPD_SL road pedals. Disregard - my comments apply to the road style.
Old 04-26-12, 08:39 AM
KevinF
Keep on climbing

Bikes: 2004 Calfee Tetra Pro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pallen
Seems like I remember the bearing being a little stiffer when they were new. After some break-in, they should always point up when you're unclipped. You catch the loop sticking up with your cleat while moving your foot forward across the pedal. It never gets to 100% - sometimes they are swinging too much and I still have to look down to see what's going on.

EDIT: Wait. I just realized you're probably talking about the SPD mountain pedals and not the SPD_SL road pedals. Disregard - my comments apply to the road style.
The OP mentioned having 3-hole cleats, which would be the SPD-SL (road) kind. SPD (mountain) kind have two bolt holes.
Old 04-26-12, 08:43 AM
Andy Somnifac 

Bikes: Too many.

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 86 Posts
SPD-SLs just take practice. With that practice, you'll get to the point you can flip the pedal and clip in with one motion, without looking.

SPDs are double sided (unless you get one of the hybrid flat/SPD pedals out there), so being upside down doesn't matter.

Last edited by Andy Somnifac; 04-26-12 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-26-12, 08:44 AM
JustinNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pallen

You were right the first time, they're 3-hole cleat SL road pedals
Old 04-26-12, 08:45 AM
JustinNY

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[h=1]Shimano 105 PD-5700 Road Bike Pedals (Black)[/h]
Old 04-26-12, 08:49 AM
dtrain
L-I-V-I-N

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
All the weight is at the back, so they tend to point up when hanging. You won't have luck 'stomping' down on them. Rather, you have to get the feeling of rolling them over as you catch the top with the toe of the cleat. You'll get it (but not 100% as mentioned).

'14 carbon Synapse - '12 CAAD 10 5 - '99 Gary Fisher Big Sur
Old 04-26-12, 08:52 AM
Right Said Fred

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the same pedals and the same issue. Even after a year and about 2500 miles using them, I still usually have to glance down to lock back in when taking off from an intersection just to be sure I will get it engaged on the first try. Otherwise it's just as likely I'll be fumbling around blindly and that takes even longer and is less secure than making sure the road is clear, glancing down to lock in, and then get up to speed. I thought about trying a different pedal style that could be easier to engage without looking, but I'm not sure I really want to spend the money to change.
Old 04-26-12, 09:10 AM
AlphaDogg
I let the dogs out

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Roubaix 1.0, 2003 Ti Merlin Solis, & 1994 Raleigh MT200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I switched over from double sided SPD to road SPD-SL's, I had a hell of a time getting the pedal in the correct orientation so I could clip in. I almost fell a few times at stoplights, but now I'm a lot better (2 week later). I have the feel for when my foot is oriented correctly with the pedals and I can unclip for a red light and immediately go for a green light without delaying to clip in.