Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

2018! The “How was your commute?” thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-18, 11:31 PM
BikingTech

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
My ride home was nice. No wind around mid 30s with increasing fog. When I finally got home, viewing distance was about 1/8 mile. People at intersections were shaking their heads at me and I'm surprised nobody yelled at me saying I was @^#% crazy or whatever.
Old 11-29-18, 06:14 AM
mchb

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Foggy ride into work yesterday morning!
Old 11-29-18, 07:24 AM
mgw4jc

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, Trek 5000 TCT, Giant OCR

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 18 Posts
Cool pic @mchb. Some fat tires too!

Left a little later than I like due to adding some air to the tires and lube to the chain. But cutting out one slight longer / more uphill section got me to work on time just fine.

Low 20s this morning. The coldest I've ridden in this season. My toes got cold, but not really until the last 2 miles. Sunny and getting up to 50 this afternoon.
Old 11-29-18, 07:48 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Derailleur replaced and the winter beater back on the road. Perfect temp and no wind but hit the train for 30 minutes. Got to talk to a walker I've seen for the last 2 years though so not all bad.
Old 11-29-18, 08:12 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2597 Post(s)
Liked 1,924 Times in 1,208 Posts
Originally Posted by esmith2039
Perfect temp and no wind but hit the train for 30 minutes. Got to talk to a walker I've seen for the last 2 years though so not all bad.
Erm, "hit the train?"
Old 11-29-18, 08:19 AM
pdlamb

Seems like every autumn there's a night when I wake up and think, "How did I sleep through that? Surely there was a massive ka-WHOMP when all those leaves hit the ground?" Last night was that night, about 6" of leaves all over the back yard this morning. (Come to think of it, maybe that's what woke me up...)

So I started out the ride with two concerns. What's the minimum amount of work I need to do today, so I can get home early and get the leaves up before the rain hits and they get all wet? And how to get to work today without taking the MUP, which is probably covered over since it's been too cold for the runners to clear off the last few days -- and it probably got re-covered with leaves last night.

Naturally, it started raining a mile from the house. Not too heavy, probably less than a quarter inch in 40 minutes, but I don't have to worry about getting the leaves up before they get wet -- too late now! And my routing concern changed to how do I get to work the fastest from HERE? Took a few streets I almost never ride, then up and over the hill to miss the MUP, and the rain stopped before I hit the downhill.

Not the best of rides, not the worst of rides.
Old 11-29-18, 09:01 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 320 Post(s)
Liked 174 Times in 115 Posts
The 40% chance of freezing rain they predicted yesterday turned into a 100% certainty for last night's ride home. Glad I rode the winter bike with studded tires.

This morning the ice was even thicker. When I was on the main thoroughfares it wasn't bad because the city had put down ice melt and the traffic was keeping things wet but not frozen. The back roads and MUP, however, where 90% of today's ride occurred was pretty treacherous. Temp wasn't bad at 23F and the breeze was light. I took my time and made it to work without incident.

About 1/2 mile from home it occurred to me that my feet didn't feel right. I looked down and realized out of habit I had put on my clipless shoes even though my winter bike has platform pedals. I was so focused on dealing with the ice that I hadn't noticed until this point. I didn't feel like backtracking across even more ice, so I just decided to live with it. The cleats kind of slid around on the platforms, but I survived.
Old 11-29-18, 09:37 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Windy! Last night, the wind was still a crosswind, slightly in my face, but I had some segments when it was at my back. Even the in-my-face segments were tolerable, so no complaints. There was one short segment when I was facing it directly, and it took a lot of effort to keep moving.

By this morning, the direction shifted slightly, and the intensity has increased. The city has issued a high winds warning. It was more in my face this morning than yesterday morning. A couple of side gusts nearly knocked me down. So this evening's ride should be fun. The people coming the other way this morning looked like they were flying.

Tuesday evening while I was struggling against a headwind, a thin woman on a bike with panniers passed me easily, and I wondered how she managed that. Then I saw she had an electric hub in her rear wheel.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-29-18, 09:48 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Woke up to 30F with freezing rain and sleet. Headed out on the studded tire bike and then turned around and switched to regular commuter. The streets and MUP had patches of ice but mostly clear. The bridges were pucker factor 10 but no falls. I so hate riding my "winter" bike that I'd rather fall than ride it. I really need to get a different winter bike.
Old 11-29-18, 10:38 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
45F, gray, clammy. My shoes this morning had not dried out from the rain of Monday's commute, despite taking the insoles out. I knew I should have stuffed them with newspapers.
Old 11-29-18, 10:50 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
after the big snowfall on sunday night, i rode today for the 1st time this week. 6 miles of my 8 mile commute route are along the north shore channel path from lawrence up to church st. in evanston.

the chicago portion of the path had been half-assed plowed, but not salted so it was an icy rutted-footprint mess in spots, covered by the 1/2" of new snow we got last night for extra wintertime fun. praise jeebus for my schwalbe marathon winters and their 248 studs per tire!!!

north of devon, up in lincolnwood/skokie the path had been plowed and salted, so conditions were much better, though still with some significant patches of icy ruts that the salt didn't get to along the way there too, so the marathon winters proved their worth there once again.

even with all of the icy danger, it was still a hell of a lot more fun than riding metra commuter rail!
Old 11-29-18, 03:40 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
I just checked the wind map. The direction has shifted even further in my favor for my trip home this evening, but the speed has subsided a bit. Oh well, I'll take it.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 11-30-18, 07:19 AM
locolobo13 

Bikes: Trek Mtn Bike

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 281 Post(s)
Liked 2,624 Times in 944 Posts
Got a good wake up ride this morning. A car actually hit me from behind this morning. It's dark but I have my rear blinkie and reflector and was sitting at a well lit light waiting for it to turn. When it turned green I was just starting when Bam somebody hits me from behind. He was turning right. There was plenty of room so he must have just missed seeing me. He was going slow so no worse than being pushed by a schoolyard bully. Afraid I said some bad words. We both went our separate ways.

The bike was fine. The rear tire feels like it may have lost air. I just filled it up yesterday. I'll check before I go home tonight.

2 mile later, the light turns green, I start, and the NB left turner tries to beat all of us SB people. There were cars SB too. For a second I thought he was going to hit me too. Said some more bad words.
Old 11-30-18, 08:12 AM
mgw4jc

Wow, glad you're okay @locolobo13. That could've been much worse.

A good 20+ degrees warmer than yesterday morning. Shorts were sufficient for the ride to work. A good ride except for kind of losing energy and getting really hungry at the end.

When I get to my building I take my bike inside and park it under a stair well. I have no problem opening the door to the stairs as I walk my bike in. But occasionally there is a lady there talking to a friend and if she sees me coming she'll step over and open the door for me. One time I joked with the guy she talks to that I have a personal doorman. Today she didn't see me right away but when she did she went to open it as I said, "Don't be slacking on your duties now!"
Old 11-30-18, 09:13 AM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
My first post into this thread and this is about my ride home on Tuesday night. I was about 2 miles from home, riding my year-old Kona Rove DL and started hearing an aweful clunking noise. It worsened when I stood on the pedals. My first thought was a bottom bracket issue or a loose crank. I stopped to check and everything related to the cranks seemed fine, so I continued to the house. I did notice that there was now a wobble to my bike. I couldn't quite figure out where it was coming from. Once at home, I put the bike on the rack and started going over it. Eventually, I found that the drive-side chain stay was broken, right where it joins with the seat stay (just in front of the rear axle). Yikes!

I purchased this bike in October 2017, so it is barely a year old. Luckily, I did register it at Kona.com, so the frame has a lifetime warranty. My LBS, where I bought it has already ordered my replacement frame and I'll drop it off on Saturday morning. In searching the web, I've not found any indication that this is an on-going issue with their bikes, so this really is the purpose of the warranty--to cover defects in one of their products.

In the meantime, I drug my old commuter bike (1986 Austro-Daimler Mixte) out of the garage and immediately wondered how I ever put so many thousands of miles on it. The geometry and fit just felt weird. It took about a day and a half to readjust to it. She feels good now and I'm happy to go old-school until my current ride is back in action.
Old 11-30-18, 09:35 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Bikes: '81 Panasonic Sport, '02 Giant Boulder SE, '08 Felt S32, '10 Diamondback Insight RS, '10 Windsor Clockwork, '15 Kestrel Evoke 3.0, '19 Salsa Mukluk

3rd day of icy pavement. Tomorrow they're talking up to 10" of snow, so I guess winter has officially arrived. 30F this morning and lots of fog.

My rear derailleur that started causing the chain to jump on Wednesday has been quickly getting worse. Jumped so bad this morning that it bounced the chain right off the sprocket. Unfortunately it was as I was trying to turn left through an intersection when suddenly I had no power. Had to waddle the bike around the turn as traffic stared at me, feeling like a complete idiot. Once around the corner I pulled to the curb and got the chain back on.

My old derailleur is so rusty and nasty looking that it's surprising it works at all. I can barely make out the brand and model through the corrosion (Shimano Altus.) The jockey wheels are almost round with little pointed nubs. The cage is kind of crooked after repeated crashes where I've had to try and straighten things back out. A decade of winter riding has finally taken its toll on this old thing. I ordered a new derailleur last night. Just have to milk this one for a few more days. It was only about a buck more to upgrade one group level higher, so I went with a Shimano Acera this time around. Probably won't notice a difference, but why not?
Old 11-30-18, 10:04 AM
arsprod 

Bikes: Fairdale Weekender Drop, Motobecane 29LTD, Cannondale H400, Basso Coral

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by locolobo13
Got a good wake up ride this morning. A car actually hit me from behind this morning. It's dark but I have my rear blinkie and reflector and was sitting at a well lit light waiting for it to turn.
Damn man - bad words are the least you could do. You sure there's not a target on your shirt?! Much warmer today, 41F, foggy, almost no wind. I'm grateful for the mild weather at the end of this week - I need some easy riding!
Old 11-30-18, 10:17 AM
pdlamb

A band of showers came through this morning, so I got wet. Warm, upper 50s, so I was wondering if I should wear the rain jacket downstairs to rinse the sweat off in the shower, but I decided there was a limit to my dorkiness.

Originally Posted by Tundra_Man
My rear derailleur that started causing the chain to jump on Wednesday has been quickly getting worse. Jumped so bad this morning that it bounced the chain right off the sprocket. Unfortunately it was as I was trying to turn left through an intersection when suddenly I had no power. Had to waddle the bike around the turn as traffic stared at me, feeling like a complete idiot.
Did you remember to yell, "Yabba-dabba doo!"?
Old 11-30-18, 10:30 AM
HardyWeinberg
GATC

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
43F, multilevel weather

Old 11-30-18, 10:57 AM
Tundra_Man 
The Fat Guy In The Back

Originally Posted by pdlamb
Did you remember to yell, "Yabba-dabba doo!"?
I think my words were closer to Yosemite Sam's than Fred Flintstone's.
Old 11-30-18, 01:39 PM
RidingMatthew
Let's Ride!

Bikes: --2010 Jamis 650b1-- 2016 Cervelo R2-- 2018 Salsa Journeyman 650B

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 327 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 24 Posts
Had a great ride home yesterday without super strong winds like earlier in the week. Rode home to a date night with daughter. we had a great time together catching up. It was pretty fun to just have a good conversation with a 15yo.

Rode in this morning and was so thankful for the newly installed albeit not correctly fenders on my bike. They will fix this weekend but the sunrise was quite pretty today and this is why riding a bike is better. .

Sunrise on Nov 30, 2018

Major interstate closed for 2 years as they rebuild

the view east of two demolished bridges.
Old 11-30-18, 07:44 PM
greg3rd48 

Bikes: '19 Fuji Gran Fondo 1.5, '72 Peugeot PX10, '71ish Gitane Super Corsa, '78 Fuji Newest, '89 Fuji Ace, '94 Cannondale R600, early '70s LeJeune Pro project

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 101 Posts

A small roadblock on the trail heading home.
Old 12-03-18, 04:05 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Slightly windy seaside day as expected from this time of year!
Old 12-03-18, 07:38 AM
esmith2039

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Glad I ride a bike.. a lot of wrecks on bridges this morning due to ice. The studs have no problem with that. Overheating lately and not sure why.
Old 12-03-18, 07:45 AM
mgw4jc

Damp roads, but not enough to kick up spray. Cool and clear for a nice ride in this morning. Though there was more roadkill than normal.

Forecast is for a high of 67F this afternoon, but then only 51 or less the rest of the week.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.