Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

It seems like you can't trust much at all these days

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

It seems like you can't trust much at all these days

Old 03-09-20, 11:33 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,201 Times in 2,357 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
How ever since I maintain my bike and trike by lubing all the mechanical parts, they are virtually noiseless as I ride.
Feel free to lubricant as much as you like but don’t pretend that it is absolutely necessary to have a bike that looks like it was pulled through the Deep Horizon oil spill. A little grease goes a very long way and a lot of grease just serves as a trap for grit that you have to clean off later.

By the way, all 13 bikes in my garage are virtually noiseless as I ride and I haven’t lubricated a jockey wheel is well over 2 decades.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 03-09-20, 11:49 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4789 Post(s)
Liked 3,915 Times in 2,546 Posts
Simple math. 100 RPM. 52 tooth chainring. 12 tooth pulley. In 100 revolutions, the chain travels 100 X 52 links = 5,200 links. 5200 / 12 = 433 revolutions.

Ben
Old 03-10-20, 06:06 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Think about how much fitter you are for having all that drive train friction. You're lucky they didn't charge you for it