Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Use of dropper post?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Use of dropper post?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-20, 09:22 PM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Hasn't this nonsense gone on long enough? As the OP I can state plainly that I did do google searches in regards to my question. Moreover, I spoke to LBS folks as well. My question on this forum was to see what cyclists here had to say. After all, this is a discussion forum. Where does this idea of laziness come from? I suggest that prj71 have a beer and chill out for a bit. And thanks to those who shared their experience with me. Time to take a break and lie down on the sofa so as not to exhaust myself after the strenuousness and bother of typing this post.
Likes For jackb:
Old 03-14-20, 09:58 PM
qclabrat

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked 70 Times in 63 Posts
Originally Posted by jackb
Hasn't this nonsense gone on long enough? As the OP I can state plainly that I did do google searches in regards to my question. Moreover, I spoke to LBS folks as well. My question on this forum was to see what cyclists here had to say. After all, this is a discussion forum. Where does this idea of laziness come from? I suggest that prj71 have a beer and chill out for a bit. And thanks to those who shared their experience with me. Time to take a break and lie down on the sofa so as not to exhaust myself after the strenuousness and bother of typing this post.
just noticed you are in MT, what are the good trails in your area? Kinda jealous for someone grounded in the NE NYC grind
Old 03-15-20, 11:42 AM
jackb

Bikes: Trek Domane SL5, Trek Checkpoint SL5, Cannndale Trail SE 4, Specialized Langster

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 162 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
qclabrat,

I responded earlier but apparently my post was not posted, so here I go again. I moved to Missoula in Dec. so have not ridden the many trails in the area, though Missoula abounds in good mtn biking trails. The Rattlesnake area about a mile north of town is reputedly one of the best areas. If you ever come to Missoula just stop in one of the many bike shops for trail information. Most mtn biking has not yet started for the season as the trails are still wet and muddy. I'm told things dry out in April. I'm looking forward to getting out on my new mtn bike. Missoula is a great town for any kind of outdoor activities but especially for mtn biking and hiking. By the way, I was born and grew up on the Jersey side of the Hudson but haven't gone back in decades.
Likes For jackb:
Old 03-16-20, 02:25 PM
theraddude

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
The way ive seen it used is just mostly from youtube videos but the concept is simple enough. When youre going downhill on knarly terrain or big jumps, you can put that seat down, standing up on the pedals then take the turns slide the rear tire around when rear tire is locked up from braking then dab, dab with yur foot. Steering around all fast like a spider monkey on crack. Then, get back to putting power down, pedling hard, raise that seat back up.

so, its similar in functionality to an office chair but way more knarly. I'll have to get one of those myself oneday.

Last edited by theraddude; 03-16-20 at 06:45 PM.
Old 03-17-20, 09:11 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by theraddude
The way ive seen it used is just mostly from youtube videos but the concept is simple enough. When youre going downhill on knarly terrain or big jumps, you can put that seat down, standing up on the pedals then take the turns slide the rear tire around when rear tire is locked up from braking then dab, dab with yur foot. Steering around all fast like a spider monkey on crack. Then, get back to putting power down, pedling hard, raise that seat back up.

so, its similar in functionality to an office chair but way more knarly. I'll have to get one of those myself oneday.
OMG (i can't believe I just used that lol), locking the back and sliding back tires do horrible trail damage, yeah it looks cools in vids but as someone who volunteers regularly on trail maintenance locally, I don't recommend it.
Old 03-17-20, 09:12 AM
qclabrat

Originally Posted by jackb
qclabrat,

I responded earlier but apparently my post was not posted, so here I go again. I moved to Missoula in Dec. so have not ridden the many trails in the area, though Missoula abounds in good mtn biking trails. The Rattlesnake area about a mile north of town is reputedly one of the best areas. If you ever come to Missoula just stop in one of the many bike shops for trail information. Most mtn biking has not yet started for the season as the trails are still wet and muddy. I'm told things dry out in April. I'm looking forward to getting out on my new mtn bike. Missoula is a great town for any kind of outdoor activities but especially for mtn biking and hiking. By the way, I was born and grew up on the Jersey side of the Hudson but haven't gone back in decades.
I'm also on Jersey side, Somerset County to be somewhat exact.
Spouse isn't big on the outdoors, so Montana would be more of a destination stop if we every get there
Old 03-21-20, 07:38 PM
luismboc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Uphill: seat up, so you can exert proper pressure on pedals.
Downhill: seat down, so you can push your body back and bring your torso closer to the frame without hitting your chest on the saddle.