Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

And So It Begins

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

And So It Begins

Old 03-21-20, 06:11 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by John E
Note that the smoking rate is 40% higher in Italy than in the US. In Asia, where most men smoke and most women don't, the COVID-19 death rate was far higher for men than for women.
Now that you mention it I was surprised at how prevalent smoking was in Italy when we visited there.
Old 03-23-20, 02:06 PM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
There is no ban yet on cycling here in the UK but there is a recommendation to respect the social distancing principle i.e. don't ride in groups and don't ride too close to others. This is not a problem for me as I prefer solo cycling but there are loads of idiots who cannot accept this advice and need the comfort of their club/group around them. Over the weekend the weather was really good and there were lots of pics on tv and in the papers of crowds of walkers and cyclists.

This selfish and arrogant attitude, and the inability to act with consideration for others, is likely to lead to more draconian measures being introduced as they have been in some European countries. There is a rumour that our P.M. in his daily briefing on tv tonight is going to announce greater restrictions.

if it happens I will be a bit fed up, and I have taken a step that I thought I would never do as someone who hates indoor cycling...I have bought a turbo trainer to use indoors in the rain and in the garden when it is dry.

Update: now officially moved to a lockdown. Don't go outside unless essential for work or shopping for medicines/essentials. Shops closed except food and chemists. Voluntary restraint has not worked.

Quite trivial to be worrying about cycling at a time like this, but people are allowed out once each day for exercise - specifically mentioned walking, running and cycling. (Not in groups and not sure how they will monitor the once each day).

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 03-23-20 at 04:26 PM.
Old 03-23-20, 02:45 PM
rm -rf
don't try this at home.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 972 Post(s)
Liked 509 Times in 349 Posts
For now, I'm still riding. We plan to ride on country roads, with very little traffic even on normal days, and even fewer vehicles now. I noticed I'm going slower and being much more careful, on downhills or on rough roads. This isn't a time to be training hard for a big event ride. Just getting out is calming.

I think the safest ride is either solo or two riders side-by-side. No drafting. On extreme side winds, we'll split up. I might ride with four riders total, but it would need to be two pairs, with big separation between the two sets. That "6 foot distance" advice doesn't take wind into consideration. Even walking near other people, I'm keeping much more than 6 feet distances, and keeping the wind direction in mind.
Old 03-23-20, 04:04 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Our governor announced stay-at-home orders for Indiana today. We are allowed to walk, run or bike ride with social distancing. I went for a modest solo ride prior to that this morning. Our club has cancelled organized rides for the time being. My riding will be solo or with spouse for the foreseeable future. And caution will be a main ingredient of our riding styles.