Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Comfortable Road Bike Reccomendations

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 03:50 PM
shed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Requirements:
1) Good for 20-60 mile casual road rides (up to rolling hills, probably not mountainous)
2) Step change in performance from my Hybrid Trek DS3
3) Comfortable
4) Disc Brakes
5) Can withstand some rough and tumble bad roads without puncturing, hurting me, or requiring a ton of maintenance

About me
1. Overweight unfit 50 year old
2. Only averages about 10mph typically on my DS3
3. 5'8" though slightly longer legs for my height
4. Bikes about 3 times a month on weekends. Mostly on own and some of those casual 50K untimed rides that cities have.
5. Price: <$2,000
6, Looking to improve, but probably not step change.

Not sure what I should look at:
Candiates from online research: Specialized Roubaix, Trek Domane SL5, Specialized Allez.

Really looking to narrow to 3-5 that I should test drive.

Thank you ever so much in advance.
Old 03-26-20, 04:12 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 611 Times in 376 Posts
What's wrong with your current bike?

What bikes can you test ride easily?

One person's comfort is another person's disaster. Responders to your query can tell you what they like, but not what you will like. You really need to make a choice between deciding to test ride and deciding to take a reco from the Internet and liking it, whether it feels good or not. I recommend the test rides. Bike shops around here are open.

If you're over 200 lbs, you may be able to get some insight from the Clydesdales/Athenas forum.
Old 03-26-20, 04:39 PM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
This is a duplicate thread. OP posted the same thread on the over 50 forum.
Old 03-26-20, 04:53 PM
shed

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
What's wrong with your current bike?

What bikes can you test ride easily?

One person's comfort is another person's disaster. Responders to your query can tell you what they like, but not what you will like. You really need to make a choice between deciding to test ride and deciding to take a reco from the Internet and liking it, whether it feels good or not. I recommend the test rides. Bike shops around here are open.

If you're over 200 lbs, you may be able to get some insight from the Clydesdales/Athenas forum.
1. I'd like to go a little faster
2. My fave LBS focuses on Specialized and Trek, so would prefer those
3. Definitely want to test drive - just want to get a feeling
4. 220lb
Old 03-26-20, 05:32 PM
Geezerdan

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You might want to consider a hybrid style bike.
Old 03-26-20, 05:57 PM
Jicafold

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 360 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 89 Posts
Jamis Ventura A1

https://www.jamisbikes.com/usa/venturaseries.html
Old 03-26-20, 06:31 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Spec and Trek offer two bikes (one each) which are probably geared toward your needs .... the Trek Domane (https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...domane/c/B221/) and the Specialized Roubaix (https://www.specialized.com/us/en/sh...baix/c/roubaix)

I would recommend a Giant Contend or a Fuji Sportif (Defy and Gran Fondo in carbon) over either (better value---less money for the same equipment, IMO.) But you specified Trek and Specialized.

The Domane and the Roubaix come with built-in mini-shock absorbers which might make a difference if you regularly run very bad roads, but also offer more places for breakdown and expensive repair. Always a trade-off .... but if you aren't planning on riding cobblestones or bad chipseal (is there good chipseal?) , i'd question the utility.

I assume you want a drop-bar bike. If you prefer a flat-bar bike, let us know.

I weigh more than you and have asthma and a bad heart .... but I love riding my bike. So .... you are unfit by your standards, but probably fine, by comparison.

And any aluminum-framed endurance-geometry bike with Sora or Tiagra running gear would probably work fine.

For $2,000 you should be able to get discs. For a few dollars more, a carbon frame, which might or might not actually be an upgrade. A good Al frame with better running gear and wheels, particularly, is better than an entry-level CF frame with bad parts.

Ask the dealer about actual tire clearance. I hear that most of the bikes mention ed can easily fit 32s or 35s, which should be fine for anything paved, however badly, and even hard-packed earth.

if you plan to ride more off-road than on, or want a flat-bar bike, then a whole new search will be required, so ... let us know.
Old 03-26-20, 07:46 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 641 Post(s)
Liked 1,517 Times in 549 Posts
I recently upgraded from a 2009 Roubaix to a 2019 version and have to say it was one hell of an upgrade. I ride in rural areas with some of the crappiest pavement you'll likely to ever come across. Roads that haven't had a repave in the 39 years I've lived here. Just patch on patch on patch. I've put about 700 miles on the new bike so far and am really happy with it. Besides the future shock in the fork, the vertical compliance of the frame is incredible. It is way more comfortable than the older model and is almost better than my old rigid mtb with 1.75" tires. Besides the comfort, I like the disc brakes over rim and like being able to run bigger tires.

Since your shop has both Spec and Trek, I would definitely compare the Robaix to the Domane. I have not ridden a Trek but hear lots of good things about them. One may just be a better fit for you.
Old 03-27-20, 03:18 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by MRT2
This is a duplicate thread. OP posted the same thread on the over 50 forum.
Whats your point ?? He wants to get more exposure and this is one of the larger sub-forums.

Originally Posted by philbob57
One person's comfort is another person's disaster. Responders to your query can tell you what they like, but not what you will like. You really need to make a choice between deciding to test ride and deciding to take a reco from the Internet and liking it, whether it feels good or not. I recommend the test rides. Bike shops around here are open..
This is good advice here as well as from Maelochs who is in the same boat or a little worse off and they get by just fine with the hand they are dealt. Everyone is different and thus comfort is personal. Find something you like to look at, get the LBS to adjust it for you and take it for a long spin. If you don't love it then try another. As far as your '1 -5 requirements' you will not get those in a bike off the rack, they will come with proper adjustment and additional equipment purchased. IMO a 60 mile ride when you say " Bikes about 3 times a month on weekends." is asking to get hurt.
Likes For daviddavieboy:
Old 03-27-20, 06:56 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
All Road

Gravel