Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

1992 Trek 1400

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

1992 Trek 1400

Old 03-28-20, 06:03 AM
CykelFlicka
little ring

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Veloce, 1980-something Bianchi Axis Pro, 2003 Cannondale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
1992 Trek 1400

Hey all-
Still trying to find a road bike for around town and longer rides. The Mongoose I referred to in another thread is in seller purgatory (guy is possibly out of the country), so my fruitless search in Australia continues.

Newest candidate: 1992 Trek 1400 (red frame), 2x7 Shimano 105SC, downtube shifters (meh). Looks to be in good shape. My dad actually has a similar model (1990s Trek 2000, same color scheme, I think he later upgraded it to STI so it may have been 91.). I've ridden it, was a much different feeling than the hunk of Bianchi steel I was used to (namely, much lighter, faster, and could feel every bump). He's asking $110 AUD (~$70 USD).

I'd likely want to "upgrade" to barcon shifters - I know 7 speed ones are as rare as hen's teeth, but Harris and other sources say 8 speed ones are fine. If it has a cassette (I'm assuming it does), I'd entertain the option of putting in 8 speed spacers to make it more smooth. Not worth cramming an 8 speed upgrade in there, the dropout is only 126 and it's apparently "doable," but seems like a ton of work.

The usual question - I know for sure it'll take a compact, but will it take a triple? Microshifters' barcons offer a 2/3 for the front but I don't know if it'll allow for friction (my barcons on my Bianchi are friction for front and it's a lot easier to deal with.). New BB, new crank, new front derailleur?

Thanks for your help!

-KC

Last edited by CykelFlicka; 03-28-20 at 07:00 AM. Reason: Fixed model #
Old 03-28-20, 06:25 AM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
Originally Posted by CykelFlicka
Hey all-

Newest candidate: 1992 Trek 1400 (red frame), 2x7 Shimano 105SC, downtube shifters (meh). Looks to be in good shape. My dad actually has this exact same bike, same year but upgraded to STI. I've ridden it, was a much different feeling than the hunk of Bianchi steel I was used to (namely, much lighter, faster, and could feel every bump). He's asking $110 AUD (~$70 USD).
-KC

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 03-28-20, 06:52 AM
CykelFlicka
little ring

Bikes: 2002 Bianchi Veloce, 1980-something Bianchi Axis Pro, 2003 Cannondale R2000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Old 03-28-20, 07:03 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
I've had/worked on a few of these, they are very nice bikes. Yes they will take a triple, other variants were offered as such. You'll need a triple derailleur, of course, and the bottom bracket spindle length could change. I would't stress over the 126 to 130 spacing in the back; being an older aluminum bike, the stays have a little give and you should be able to (slightly) squeeze a 130 hub in there no problem. And while I personally don't have experience doing it, consensus in many threads I've seen is that 7 and 8 speed cog spacing is close enough so that you can run 8 speed shifters with a 7 speed cog. You just effectively lock out the extra click with the limit screws at the derailleur.