Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Road Bike for about to turn unfit 50 year old?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Road Bike for about to turn unfit 50 year old?

Old 03-28-20, 08:16 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
Thanks. So the geometry looks sort of like a mountain bike. I say throw some Big Apples (or another balloon tire) on it and ride away.

I guess I am guilty of the sin for which I sometimes silently judge others: the sin of not reading an entire thread before crapping out my reply.
He could. Way back in 1997, I purchased my first bike since high school, a Bianchi Advantage hybrid. I bought it to do a charity ride with my wife, and was not prepared to buy a road bike just for 1 ride, hence the decision to go with one of the newfangled hybrids. I loved that bike but sometime around 06 or 07, I started to do some group rides and wondered if the stock tires, which were in those days referred to as "multitrack"style tires were slowing me down. So I went with Panaracer Paselas, which were a little faster. I did eventually buy a bike with drop bars, though. The Bianchi is still in service. I gave it to my cousin who uses it to ride around the Chicago lakefront.
Old 03-31-20, 11:03 AM
rnothog

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2; 2016 Giant Roam 1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Roubaix and Diverge. I have the Roubaix Comp Di2, so I am biased. Picked the Roubaix because I am seldom off pavement...but when I am, it’s on a Giant Roam 1.

Giant has better prices and discounts, but I fell for the Diverge first, and then rode the Roubaix, and it sold me. Di2 Is great. Future shock works well.
Old 03-31-20, 02:58 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
shed If you can swing that SL5, get it. That is a good looking bike and Shimano 105 has always been awesome. Disks seem like a pita but I'm a bit of a grouch. Sales are on now and looks like rim brake SL5 are quite a bit less. NOTHING LIKE A NEW BIKE TO GET YOU RIDING MORE THAN 4 TIMES A MONTH.
Old 03-31-20, 03:28 PM
SethAZ 

Bikes: 2018 Lynskey R260, 2005 Diamondback 29er, 2003 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 564 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 182 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
shed If you can swing that SL5, get it. That is a good looking bike and Shimano 105 has always been awesome. Disks seem like a pita but I'm a bit of a grouch. Sales are on now and looks like rim brake SL5 are quite a bit less. NOTHING LIKE A NEW BIKE TO GET YOU RIDING MORE THAN 4 TIMES A MONTH.
I personally have already owned my last rim-brake bike. It's like Di2: now that I've had it I wouldn't buy another bike again without it. I accept that it's just my opinion, but it seems to be an opinion that's growing by the month. My disc brakes haven't been any trouble at all, on either my MTB (which had them of course years before road bikes were doing it) or my road bike. Whatever PITA disc brakes seem like they'd be to you, I think they wouldn't seem so bad after all if you tried them.
Old 03-31-20, 03:52 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 2,004 Times in 1,105 Posts
Originally Posted by SethAZ
Whatever PITA disc brakes seem like they'd be to you, I think they wouldn't seem so bad after all if you tried them.
People say that about electric motor assisted bikes too. My reply was to the OP thinking if he wanted to get a nice bike within his budget. After all, we spend most of our time pedaling (not braking)
Old 04-03-20, 05:18 PM
sshakari

Bikes: Canyon Endurace, Merckx liege 75, Cinelli Vigorelli

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 61 Posts
I would recommend the Canyon Grail aluminum. It seems like price & the parts you would get its a great deal.
I do own the Endurace and which I had gotten the Grail. I would have saved some money, gotten a bike that can be taken offroad. Just sayin...
Old 04-03-20, 06:47 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2488 Post(s)
Liked 735 Times in 520 Posts
I'm a Trek loyalist, and I'm sure they have something that would work here, but I gotta tell y'all's. A Salsa Journeyman 650B is one sweet bike! I've seen two close up and I am in love. My favorite LBS only has the drop-bar models on the floor but they can order a flatbar for me. The price simply cannot be argued with, most dealers are letting them out the door for $699*. I'm 61 and in pretty decent shape IIDSSM and even I don't think I need a $2K road bike. A Journeyman is all the bike the o.p. needs and more. With their budget they can buy 2 and send me the other one. PM me for particulars.

*the Claris build. The Sora (9sp) is tempting, about $200 more. The red Trek in the photo is a Claris build.

Last edited by Leisesturm; 04-03-20 at 07:20 PM.
Old 04-05-20, 04:59 PM
jjames1452 

Bikes: Trek 720, Trek 620, Trek 520, Steel Schwinns, AD Puch, Kona, Nishiki Pro, All City Disc Spacehorse, Waterford

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 151 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 52 Posts
All City Spacehorse

All City Spacehorse

I love this bike!!