Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Anyone still a Sedis/Sedisport chain fan out there???

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Anyone still a Sedis/Sedisport chain fan out there???

Old 03-10-17, 01:53 PM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
I now have one on my Motobecane Champion. SedisColor. The gold one.
So...Fwench.

I think they also made chains for motorcycles, didn't they?
Old 03-10-17, 07:20 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Still love my Sedis chains on my bikes. I have one bike with a nickel finished Sedisport (For 6 speeds|) and the rest are sporting narrow Sedis/Sachs later model chains (For 7 speeds), with the beveled outer link plates. Only thing is, they occasionaly hang up on Maillard notched toothed
Old 03-10-17, 07:32 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
I run a NOS Sedisport on my fixed gear: NR 48T road chain ring w/ a an 18T 1/2 X 3/32 cog for 70GI, works a treat as it has for decades.

-Bandera
Old 03-10-17, 08:56 PM
altenwrencher

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nothing beats a red-headed girl on a Vincent machine.

But a Sedis silver on a Suntour freewheel comes close.
Old 03-11-17, 12:04 AM
davester

Bikes: 1981 Ron Cooper, 1974 Cinelli Speciale Corsa, 2000 Gary Fisher Sugar 1, 1986 Miyata 710, 1982 Raleigh "International"

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Quoted: 929 Post(s)
Liked 1,289 Times in 486 Posts
As noted above, SRAM bought Sedis so a new SRAM chain is the same thing as a Sedisport.
Old 03-11-17, 08:46 AM
Charles Wahl
Disraeli Gears

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked 369 Times in 214 Posts
Personal experience, I don't think that the SRAM is exactly the same as a Sedisport. I used the latter on a bike with a 7-speed Suntour Ultra freewheel, and it worked flawlessly. When I changed to an SRAM 870, it shifted fine, but there was a "catch" I could feel in a couple middle gears. Nothing wrong with the chain; maybe it was the master link catching. Never auto-derailed, but it was annoying enough that I switched to a 6-speed non-Ultra FW. By that time you couldn't buy a Sedisport except through eBay.
Old 03-11-17, 09:17 AM
crank_addict
Banned

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1361 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 282 Posts
The majority of my vintage bikes have Sedis. They connect to vintage classics

I just can't relate to the maker of that modern twist grip thingy for a classic.

(Ps. Sedis is a large supplier to the industrial / commercial markets.)
Old 03-11-17, 09:27 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
I'm using the Sachs PG (which is an 8-sp chain) on my 12-speed road bike right now, and it works great in friction mode. I don't ride index any more.
Ever since I snapped a SRAM PC-870, I have opted for older, heavier-duty chains. The PG is extremely hard to find, though, so next, I think I will try the Sachs/Sedis GT7, or, if I can find one, a Sachs/Sedis 6-speed chain.
The one thing I try not to be a weight weenie on is my chain.

I use the Sedis "3 Speed Special" SV3 chain on the Grubb, although there were other 1/8" chains I could have bought, like Brampton and Renold.

Last edited by 1989Pre; 03-11-17 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-11-17, 04:37 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,051 Times in 779 Posts
Updating and bumping for frenzy:
I found the box with the NOS "SACHS-SEDIS Sedisport ATB" chain.
it's 2-color with black inner and silver outer plates, marked 116 links on the box.
I can see nothing about this chain that makes it particular to an ATB versus a Road bike, not extra beefy looking or sealed with O-rings, but this is how they advertised it.
If I get any interest (even less than a frenzy) I'll post it for sale in that section. Even some pics!
Old 03-11-17, 06:55 PM
Chombi

Bikes: 1986 Alan Record Carbonio, 1985 Vitus Plus Carbone 7, 1984 Peugeot PSV, 1972 Line Seeker, 1986(est.) Medici Aerodynamic (Project), 1985(est.) Peugeot PY10FC

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 27 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
Updating and bumping for frenzy:
I found the box with the NOS "SACHS-SEDIS Sedisport ATB" chain.
it's 2-color with black inner and silver outer plates, marked 116 links on the box.
I can see nothing about this chain that makes it particular to an ATB versus a Road bike, not extra beefy looking or sealed with O-rings, but this is how they advertised it.
If I get any interest (even less than a frenzy) I'll post it for sale in that section. Even some pics!
I have that Sach Sedis chain at least two of my race bikes.
You are correct, there seems to be nothing dimensionally about the chain to make ATB specific, it is identical to the SC80 model road chain from Sedis Sachs......except for the ends of the link pins which have a slight domed shape to it instead of flat as on the road version of the chain. it also does not have the usual to Sedis, two shallow grooves that goes across the tip of the link pins of the road chain. I suppose that maybe the domed shape tips are meant to assist the chain to better go through the drivetrain which can get all gritted and built up with mud and sand on..
Otherwise, every other part on the "ATB" chain is identical to the road version........even weighs exactly the same, per my digital scale. Bonus with the ATB chain is, it usually sells for much less than the road chain (in nickel/silver) even when NOS, plus the side plates in silver and black, giving you the two tone effect that looks especially good on certain builds.

Last edited by Chombi; 03-11-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 03-11-17, 07:23 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The Sedisport quickly became the chain of choice shortly after its 1981 introduction. It was the most laterally flexible chain on the market, resulting in less shift force and quieter running. The secret was the bushingless construction. Instead of bushings, the inner plates were swaged and the rollers ran directly on the swages. This construction also made the chains less expensive to manufacture. The bulged and chamfered plates also facilitated shifting but the idea had been stolen from Shimano's UniGlide chain, though the Sedis applied it to the inner plates, while Shimano used it on the outer plates. The combination of low cost, quieter running and easier shifting made Sedisport chains an easy aftermarket sale.

Given that they are a consumable aftermarket item, NOS chain prices do tend to go though the roof after production is discontinued. I remember the same thing happening with NOS Regina Oro chains. NOS inch pitch chain is also quite expensive. Never having adopted Dura-Ace 10, I've never gone looking for its dedicated, 10mm pitch chain but I imagine it's also quite rare and expensive.
Old 03-12-17, 11:47 AM
styggno1
Steel is real

Bikes: 40 - accumulated over 40 years

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 375 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 303 Posts
I have got a stash.

Bought while they were still modern and standard issue. That says something about me. I almost never cleaned a chain back then. I just switched to a new one. Often. That meant that I bought chains in bulk - and I still got a stash of NOS ones and sh*tload of used ones that have few miles on them. I could start to clean the used ones but I will probably not get around to it until the NOS ones are used...

One silver and five gold

Some Regina Oro and Record

Nickel plated Regina America SL (three new and at least four slightly used ones somewhere)

Old 03-14-17, 07:14 PM
hujev
I'm one of the freaks.

Location: Lake Superior country, Upper Peninsula of Michigan. Periodically leaves/returns to Alaska for good.

Bikes: Woodrup: '85 Giro Touring & '16 custom touring. Stanforth: '17 Kibo & '19 Skyelander. '93 Longstaff trike. Trek: '84 830 & '89 420. '83 cannondale ST-500. Stumpjumpers: '82 tig'd, '82 lug'd, '84. '83 Univega Gran Turismo. etc.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We, the stashers (maybe most of us here), salute you and your chain stash .. but if we offer you a beer, watch our other hand if we're near that stash...
Old 03-14-17, 10:00 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,051 Times in 779 Posts
I just posted the one Sedis-Sachs "ATB" chain I have in the For Sale section...go git it!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Sedis_Chain_2.jpg (99.9 KB, 346 views)
Old 03-14-17, 10:23 PM
Dboyle

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hujev
Threadcomancy, I guess they call this.

Anyway, Sedisports were the best, can still be had from time to time, for example, now in March 2017, Boulder Bicycle has some, ~$25, which, considering inflation, is about what they cost in 1983.

But these days I'm using their descendants, the Sram PC-8xx series, every bit as good as Sedisport, very similar design if not identical (buy may be). Made in Portugal.

I use 5,6,7 cog freewheels on all my bikes, and now trike (mostly Suntour Winner versions), all work fine with Sedisport or Sachs PC-8 series. Friction shifting - because it's so easy to shift, the time required to maintain a click-click mech working would be more time-consuming than the subconscious automatic overshift one does with friction.

A blessing of ze velo-gods that such perfect, basic, no nonsense high quality items still exist and made in the 1st world. Geez, if they'd only continued the Maillard freewheels (I could use a few cogs for the modified double freewheel on my Longstaff tricycle - which has a very newish early 90s Sedisport), and New Success mechs!

I've got a few in stock, but maybe ought to get a few more, just in case they stop making them, or shift to china.

I tried a Wippermann chain on my touring bike a dozen years ago, broke it on the first tour first week (and another link a couple weeks later!!), and immediately after the tour) replaced with a PC-850 and have never looked back.
I restore a lot of vintage bikes. It is always great to include a Sedis chain on a bike that should have a Sedis chain. The reality is that, unlike frames or other components, chains wear out. That leaves the limited number of Sedis chains in high demand. Given the high cost of restoring a classic, it seems totally reasonable to use a SRAM chain given it is a descendent of the origianal. In another four or five years there will be no more Sedis chains available without spending a fortune. They are expensive enough now given that a more modern chain works and looks just as good.
Old 03-28-20, 12:16 AM
sacr

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
helicomatic needs sedis chain

The original sedis chain that was supplied with my helicomatic free wheel had bulges on the inner links which I believe make it the only chain compatible with the helicomatic. I have come to learn this the hardway, a new shimano chain just floated on the higher cogs when shifting. People say sram are the same thing now, but when I look at something like the sram pc 830 I dont see any "bulges" on the inner links and visually it possibly wouldnt perform any better than the shimano?

My old sedis was only just at the wear limits and still worked fine, possibly best to keep using it.

Any other suggestions would be great
Old 03-28-20, 10:15 AM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1970s Carlton Kermesse, 1982 Peugeot PB 12

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 154 Posts
sacr-

I use a Sedisport on my 6 speed Helicomatic cluster as well and it shifts very nicely. It has bulged inner plates as you describe. If you need a new one, Boulder Bicycle sells bulk chains, black and with bulged inner plates (see photo below) for $27 US or boxed ones for $38 here:

Sedisport Black Chain bulk package new but no box

Old 03-28-20, 10:19 AM
IsleRide

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by WNG
They are great shifting and quiet running chains. Especially with Suntour New Winner freewheels. And I still have mine on my 79-80 sport tourer, and Vitus 979, and they perform fine. I remember an article testing chains in the 80s and the Sedisport won the Rockwell hardness test.
+1 on that. Just disassembled a '79 Trek running a Sedis chain that shifted effortlessly on the Suntour freewheel.
The bike is very original but I don't know how old the chain is. It is not worn and will be re-used when the bike goes back together.

For new builds I use KMC.
Old 03-28-20, 11:31 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1134 Post(s)
Liked 1,726 Times in 950 Posts
Originally Posted by sacr
The original sedis chain that was supplied with my helicomatic free wheel had bulges on the inner links which I believe make it the only chain compatible with the helicomatic. I have come to learn this the hardway, a new shimano chain just floated on the higher cogs when shifting. People say sram are the same thing now, but when I look at something like the sram pc 830 I dont see any "bulges" on the inner links and visually it possibly wouldnt perform any better than the shimano?

My old sedis was only just at the wear limits and still worked fine, possibly best to keep using it.

Any other suggestions would be great
The Sram you are talking about has beveled inner plates that serves very similar to the old Sedi bulge plates.
Old 03-28-20, 02:58 PM
sacr

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
The Sram you are talking about has beveled inner plates that serves very similar to the old Sedi bulge plates.
Ok, thanks for that, I was only going by pictures I could find on the net(which seldom show the profile of the chains from this view) (note people selling nos sedis on ebay(include a pic where we can see this because not all sedis has this?) for the small price of the sram pc 830 I will give it a go

Note: to anyone selling anything on line - when you take photos, think about how you examine something when you buy it in a shop, "you pick it up, turn it around and have a good look at it from every angle"....do the same taking high res photos, if you are like me, 99% of items online dont get my sale because I cant see what Im buying.
Old 03-28-20, 03:32 PM
IsleRide

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 49 Posts
Originally Posted by altenwrencher
Nothing beats a red-headed girl on a Vincent machine.

But a Sedis silver on a Suntour freewheel comes close.
Agreed but still partial to my MGB GT......"she's a runner now............."
Old 03-28-20, 06:21 PM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1560 Post(s)
Liked 1,282 Times in 853 Posts
Sedisport chain was at one time the most flexible chain, but by today's standards it is much more rigid laterally.

So it is still perhaps the best chain to use with older derailers where a large chain gap exists between the pulley and the cog.

And I found Sedisport to be the best chain for use with Helicomatic freewheels after testing a few (modern) others.

SediSport chain is notably long-lasting, and seemed to be the best-performing chain in most newer applications until the arrival of Shimano's "UG Narrow" chain around 1987.
Old 05-08-20, 08:30 PM
sacr

Ok, thanks for that, I was only going by pictures I could find on the net(which seldom show the profile of the chains from this view) (note people selling nos sedis on ebay(include a pic where we can see this because not all sedis has this?) for the small price of the sram pc 830 I will give it a go
Ok, some good news, eventually got around to putting on a sram pc 830(grand cost of $7 US) and all the skipping issues with the shimano chain(new HG40) and the helicomatic seem to have vaporised!
Ive only done a quick test ride so far, but the acid test is trying to change up to the bigger cogs when one has got bogged down on a gradient, always sure to cause a problem with the shimano chain, clicked in without a problem with the sram, fingers crossed for the future.
Old 11-12-20, 06:11 PM
sacr

Ok, some good news, eventually got around to putting on a sram pc 830(grand cost of $7 US) and all the skipping issues with the shimano chain(new HG40) and the helicomatic seem to have vaporised!
Ive only done a quick test ride so far, but the acid test is trying to change up to the bigger cogs when one has got bogged down on a gradient, always sure to cause a problem with the shimano chain, clicked in without a problem with the sram, fingers crossed for the future.
Update, been running the same pc830 since mar. Once the initial factory lube of the chain got it filthy dirty, I cleaned and relubed with parrifin wax. Found that unless it was very recently lubed then all the skipping issues on the rear cogs reappeared, (like fresh wax at least once a week), yes I can live with that, but not quite like the original sedis where it could be abused(in terms of not regular lube or clean) and still shift perfectly. it would be great if sram just reproduced the 1980s sedis product.
Old 11-13-20, 10:21 AM
Steel Charlie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 523 Times in 275 Posts
I've used Sedis chains since they hit the market. Had a nice stash of NIB's but am now down to two. I currently have them on the Caylor (Ultra6), Colnago (6spd), and both Masi (both 8spd), and two ATB's (3x8). I was going to put one on a 9spd thing but the chain is too wide for that spacing - but it does work just fine on the 8spd.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.