Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What to look for when buying vintage?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What to look for when buying vintage?

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-20, 11:47 AM
The Golden Boy 
Extraordinary Magnitude

Bikes: 1978 Trek TX700; 1978/79 Trek 736; 1984 Specialized Stumpjumper Sport; 1984 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1985 Trek 620; 1985 Trek 720; 1986 Trek 400 Elance; 1987 Schwinn High Sierra; 1990 Miyata 1000LT

Mentioned: 84 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2608 Post(s)
Liked 1,699 Times in 935 Posts
Originally Posted by bolshlife
Hi all! New to cycling, especially vintage, and looking for guidance.

What are the most important things to look for when buying a vintage bike online?

I know to look for wear on the gears and brake pads, check for cracks or bends in the frame, and to look for brand names like Campagnolo, Shimano and SunTour to determine quality/hierarchy.

I am thinking of buying a vintage bike for short commutes to work, but I'm concerned that I'll end up sinking a ton of money into repair and replacement parts. Which parts are most costly to replace?

I found an old Bianchi Axis on eBay. I like the steel frame, and the parts look ok, but the cassette seems worn. Anything else I should look out for?
ebay.com/itm/Bianchi-Axis-Celeste-52cm-Road-bike/383468820367

Cheers!
If you're in Madison- you're pretty much at the vintage bike ground zero, there's Class A and B bikes figuratively falling out of the trees there; until you figure out what you REALLY want- there would be no need to deal with eBay.

You got some really great suggestions here!!!

Commence to jigglin’ huh?!?!

"But hey, always love to hear from opinionated amateurs." -says some guy to Mr. Marshall.
Old 03-28-20, 01:38 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Originally Posted by The Golden Boy
Things change over time- both Shimano's and Suntour's hierarchical lines changed some.

For Suntour, Superbe (or Superbe Pro- {I'm still not entirely sure Superbe and Superbe Pro were just different names or separate lines}) was top of the line, early on- Cyclone was underneath that, later it was Sprint, later it was SL. Groups changed a LOT underneath Cyclone- with a lot of pieces on the same level.

The MTB stuff is just as kooky- The original TOTL MTB/ATB group was XC (just "XC"), beneath that was XC Sport, Later on, XC Pro became the TOTL and XC Comp was directly beneath that- but there were loads of other lines that showed up and disappeared. The old MOMBAT site had an EXCELLENT chart of the timeline and the hierarchy.

If you google "Shimano hierarchy" or "Suntour hierarchy" you'll get some nice charts and some nifty timelines.
Actually, I have Suntour Superbe Tech GT on my top of the line 1983 Univega Alpina Ultima.

Ten minutes on google and anyone can be an expert. Vintage Suntour Hierarchy
Vintage Shimano Hierarchy

Disraeli Gear site is a good one for rear derailleurs, but not complete.

1983 Univega Alpina Ultima by wrk101, on Flickr

Last edited by wrk101; 03-28-20 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-28-20, 01:47 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
In looking for websites that contain all the vintage knowledge you are seeking, realize all of the vintage sites were started by volunteers. They took the time to buy and collect all of the brochures, scan them in, host them, and then give them to us for free. We all owe them our gratitude for sharing!

If you see value in a web page with all the hierarchy provided, be that person to collect, scan and host.
Likes For wrk101:
Old 05-06-20, 02:55 PM
bolshlife

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Back with an update!

Hi all,
Thanks so much for your great recommendations! I have learned a lot in the past few weeks.

I ended up choosing the Panasonic DX 3000. I added a new saddle, bar tape, cable housing, and hood covers. It's a perfect fit, smooth shifting, and dreamy to ride!

Now I am working on learning how to clean and detail the components and slowly replace parts to really get it looking sharp. I think a new seatpost may be next.

I initially purchased the blue 1978 Trek, but after a few rides, I found the 53cm frame to be too small for me. (Now I'm trying to sell it on CL). I feel a lot more comfortable on the 55/56cm frame sizes, which was a bit unexpected, but I'm glad I took the time to try out different options to find what works for me.

Thanks again!
Likes For bolshlife:
Old 05-06-20, 04:50 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
Originally Posted by bolshlife
Hi all,
Thanks so much for your great recommendations! I have learned a lot in the past few weeks.

I ended up choosing the Panasonic DX 3000. I added a new saddle, bar tape, cable housing, and hood covers. It's a perfect fit, smooth shifting, and dreamy to ride!

Now I am working on learning how to clean and detail the components and slowly replace parts to really get it looking sharp. I think a new seatpost may be next.

I initially purchased the blue 1978 Trek, but after a few rides, I found the 53cm frame to be too small for me. (Now I'm trying to sell it on CL). I feel a lot more comfortable on the 55/56cm frame sizes, which was a bit unexpected, but I'm glad I took the time to try out different options to find what works for me.

Thanks again!
Excellent choice. Those are very nice riding bikes with well made frames, good finish and solid parts. A perfect Everyman bike.