Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Impact of Pandemic on Racing

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-20, 10:08 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Ice cream shops in CT still let ppl walk in
Old 03-29-20, 10:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Heard on the Sunday Morning show from a doc that says an added benefit of testing ppl w/o symptoms can show which of us had the virus w mild or no symptoms, no longer have it, but now have immunity, & these are the ppl that can be introduced back into the workforce
Likes For rumrunn6:
Old 03-29-20, 12:36 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,468 Posts
I went for a solo ride yesterday. Saw one small group and they were spread out. Several solo riders and very little car traffic. Went up a canyon to the top and sat on a retaining wall just amazed at how quiet it was. Another guy rode up and stopped 25 feet away to play with his phone. Descending the other side there were some supercars screaming uphill spewing their noxious fumes. An old couple in a Mercedes was going about 25mph and 2 of the race cars were stuck behind them, then it was quiet again.
Today I went out for a short spin around the neighborhood and there were tons of walkers and runners all around the area. There are 2 parks near here and there were plenty of people out but many seemed to be keeping their distance from each other.
Old 03-29-20, 08:33 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
I've been skiing a lot. The resorts are closed which means we have to earn it. This is basically my only social outlet during the week. We're outdoors, and stay pretty far apart on the skin track up. I'm skiing with the same friends every week who are social distancing. We're not carpooling and not hanging around drinking. I've stepped my risk way back so i don't get hurt and don't cause an avalanche. So many goals i wanted to go after this spring skiing, but probably not gonna happen.

A bunch of friends did a zoom happy hour on friday. Which went on for like 5 hours and ended up with me pretty toasted at home alone. Was actually way more fun than I thought it would be.

Y'all should give this a watch too. It's a simulation with theoretical data, but this could go on way longer than we think.

Old 03-29-20, 10:40 PM
big john

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I've been skiing a lot. The resorts are closed which means we have to earn it. This is basically my only social outlet during the week. We're outdoors, and stay pretty far apart on the skin track up. I'm skiing with the same friends every week who are social distancing. We're not carpooling and not hanging around drinking. I've stepped my risk way back so i don't get hurt and don't cause an avalanche. So many goals i wanted to go after this spring skiing, but probably not gonna happen.
Are you cross country skiing or are you hiking up to alpine ski?
Old 03-30-20, 06:34 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by big john
Are you cross country skiing or are you hiking up to alpine ski?
I do both. This time of year I'm touring. Skins and downhill skis.

Just got notice the resort I've been hiking up and down at is shutting down their uphill access. Means I'll be venturing into the proper back county again, that's all.
Old 03-30-20, 08:21 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
It goes without saying, but be extra careful out backcountry skiing. Don't want to be in need of a rescue right now.

I used to backcountry ski regularly and I really miss it, especially the lack of people. I do xc-ski now but it isn't the same.
Old 03-30-20, 09:49 AM
big john

Originally Posted by Ttoc6
I do both. This time of year I'm touring. Skins and downhill skis.

Just got notice the resort I've been hiking up and down at is shutting down their uphill access. Means I'll be venturing into the proper back county again, that's all.
Originally Posted by cmh
It goes without saying, but be extra careful out backcountry skiing. Don't want to be in need of a rescue right now.

I used to backcountry ski regularly and I really miss it, especially the lack of people. I do xc-ski now but it isn't the same.
What's the difference? Do you use different skis?

I did a little xc type skiing on trails in the mountains. Not enough to get good at it but I always wanted to do more. I did some snowshoeing, too. My ex and I would pack a picnic lunch and a camera and trudge through the forest. That was fun stuff.
Old 03-30-20, 10:05 AM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Originally Posted by big john
What's the difference? Do you use different skis?

I did a little xc type skiing on trails in the mountains. Not enough to get good at it but I always wanted to do more. I did some snowshoeing, too. My ex and I would pack a picnic lunch and a camera and trudge through the forest. That was fun stuff.
Xc skiing users dedicated skis. For classic you've got some sort of skin, scales or grip wax to keep you from sliding back as your feet stay parallel ( most of the time). There is another technique (skate) where your feet are in a "v shape". No grip wax, maintain momentum to keep going forwards. If you watch Biathlon in the Olympics, its the skate ski they are using. Faster, but not as efficient.

Back country skiing usually uses a standard downhill ski with a skin (kinda like velcro for the snow) and a special binding that has two modes. One for walking up hill where your heel is free. One for locking your heel in for going downhill. Skin up to the top, take the skin off, lock your heel down and have some fun on the way down.

Originally Posted by cmh

Oh definitely. Stepping risk wayyy down. Been taking advantage of the resorts being "closed." This weekend was pretty crazy out here in Utah. Something like 42 skier triggered slides with 14 people getting caught and carried. A couple happened at the closed resorts where people were skinning up.

My XC skiing ended early this season. Lost motivation after my only race I did this year. But I've been touring a lot which is awesome. The solitude is real nice.

Likes For Ttoc6:
Old 03-30-20, 12:55 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Snake Alley and the rest of the Quad Cities memorial Day classics have officially cancelled. The rest of the races in May have cancelled except for mine which is scheduled for May 17. Village doesn't want to cancel it yet.... Even if we got the OK I don't think anyone would show up. I'm kind of over racing for this year. Like you guys I think Cross might be a stretch but man that would crush us.

Old 03-30-20, 01:43 PM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 2627 Post(s)
Liked 3,144 Times in 1,654 Posts
I'm happy to report we have bidets installed on both toilets of our apartment. So next time you go to the store and see no TP, know it's not my fault!!!
Likes For TMonk:
Old 03-30-20, 03:13 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/30/healt...ins/index.html

My wife worked on the TV commercial for Dr. Goodrich's CNN documentary, and on the internal documentary about his work.

She found out today on the daily call with the hospital president that Dr. Goodrich died early this morning.
Well its a good thing old people don't matter.
Old 03-30-20, 03:38 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Ugh. Sucks.

People just don't understand the numbers. I was messing around with conservative scenarios with the best numbers I could find a while back and was coming up with something like 3 Million dead in the US by the end of this. Let's all just hope that was woefully wrong and that I should never do stuff like this but that was a 40% transmission through the population and then a mortality rate of 1.7% I believe. Something like 90k-120k people in the Chicagoland area.

Using the same numbers of 40% transmission and then 1.75% mortality I can expect to have 11.4 of my facebook friends die because of this.

It's pretty widespread thought the area at this point. My wife just came and picked up the kids and said, "had a definite one today and about 4 probable. Definite one was all 'I just have bronchitis. This is all just Fake News!' so we took a chest x-Ray. He's screwed. We transferred him by ambulance."

Old 03-30-20, 10:13 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by TMonk
I'm happy to report we have bidets installed on both toilets of our apartment. So next time you go to the store and see no TP, know it's not my fault!!!
Old 03-31-20, 05:57 PM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
I moved the thread from the Lounge back to the 33 and changed the name. I should have been on this earlier but I was not following all the changes being proposed pertaining to Covid 19. We felt that consolidation of the Covid 19 threads into one spot made sense.

If anyone feels that it should not be here, it can always be moved back or deleted. In general, we do not like to delete threads since posters put in a lot of time to write responses.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 03-31-20, 09:10 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4230 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
I just HAD TO go out for a ride. The temptation of empty roads and overcast skies was too much to resist.

Wondering who's going to pick all that produce. Empty roads sure are nice though.
Old 03-31-20, 09:11 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
Wifey teleconferencing w Art Ed colleagues. one of them had a pet bird that kept chiming in

That's been one of the more terrible parts of my experience of this whole thing. Older faculty who don't know how to mute their damn mics during online meetings. Especially the ones that ***** about other people's mics not realizing their own is on. Of course, when they have tenure and I don't...
Old 04-01-20, 05:27 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by himespau
mute their damn mics
well the bird wasn't so bad & kinda added a fun & funny human aspect to this inhuman crisis we're enveloped by. the co. I work for has a simple phone based tele conference every morning & background sounds in ppl's homes & or laughing or speaking out of turn makes it very difficult & is quite annoying, I agree. I had to call a customer on her cell yesterday morning early, she was in her kitchen & I was in my bedroom office. it was OK until her young child needed help with their on-line class. it was a minor interuption & the kid walked away & we were able to finish. I prefer to handle everything by email, but it was an OK moment, cuz it was rare. it would be annoying if it was a regular occurance & interfered with the volume of details I need to manage

wondering what today will bring ... I think I already have a headache
Old 04-01-20, 12:10 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My wife has to furlough all her employees. Sadly there are a lot of people we know that are now out of work; we always hear about the ones with poor social skills or no education that are in and out of jobs. These aren't those people. Some that have been at the same place for 20+, have degrees, established socially, etc. The ones near retirement are the ones I worry about the most. Getting laid off a then having to get back in the pool and compete with people 20 years younger is going to be rough, all the while having your 401k decimated.

On a 33 related note, we still have about 20 doing Tuesday Night Worlds; more than anything that kills me. That's basically my social life during this time of year, but right now its probably a 3rd of the size it usually is.
Old 04-01-20, 12:58 PM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 678 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
On a 33 related note, we still have about 20 doing Tuesday Night Worlds; more than anything that kills me. That's basically my social life during this time of year, but right now its probably a 3rd of the size it usually is.
Sorry to hear about your wife and her coworkers.

Also, could you clarify about TNW. Are you saying you're upset because you're only able to socialize with 20 people instead of 60 or that 20 people are still doing it while you are not?
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 04-01-20, 01:41 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Well, for me and the wife, my "worlds" each week and her "camp gladiator" stuff being shut down kills the only social thing we had going out of the house.

I'm doing a long solo ride Thursday night. Trying to figure out how to have some kind of fun with it solo.

What "kills me" is that we're doing our part and have been probably sooner than others around us..........then we see at risk folks and older "boomers" who should be at home........out bee bopping around like normal. Hey, **** wits, people have lost their livelihoods for you!
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 04-01-20, 05:52 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
Sorry to hear about your wife and her coworkers.

Also, could you clarify about TNW. Are you saying you're upset because you're only able to socialize with 20 people instead of 60 or that 20 people are still doing it while you are not?
More that I'm not doing it; I've been riding with some of those guys for 10 years. I could, but being asthmatic (which is under control via meds) I'm going under the assumption if I get Covid its not going to end up well so I'm avoiding riding in groups. Right now I have a false sense that I'm well but I've been hospitalized (3x via ambulance) due to asthma. So I'm not sure if I get it that my respiratory issues will come roaring back.

burnthesheep Our 71 year old neighbor is still having multiple family members over each day. Definitely concerns me and I'd love to bring it up but I know it will fall on deaf ears.
Old 04-02-20, 01:02 PM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1020 Post(s)
Liked 463 Times in 293 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Wondering who's going to pick all that produce. Empty roads sure are nice though.
That was on a Saturday. Farm hands are essential workers in California, so the fields are being tended and the produce picked.
Old 04-02-20, 01:55 PM
himespau 

Originally Posted by eja_ bottecchia
That was on a Saturday. Farm hands are essential workers in California, so the fields are being tended and the produce picked.
Oh you guys have enough workers? I'd heard that because agricultural visas had been shut down to prevent spread, everyone who left to get theirs renewed wasn't able to get back in and had been under the impression that most of the fieldhands were folks here on ag worker visas.
Old 04-03-20, 08:19 AM
kensuf
My idea of fun

Bikes: '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '02 Kona Lavadome, '07 Giant TCR Advanced, '07 Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by furiousferret
I've been very proactive in trying to prevent getting this. Being asthmatic I'm 'high risk', so I'm going under the assumption it won't go well for me. We're all aware of social distancing and hand washing but imo there are a few other things we can do, specifically builidng the immune system. Here is some things I do:

Exercise a lot:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y-2PtSxbCQ
  • Get at least 30 minutes of sunlight a day for Vitamin D
  • 8 hours of sleep
  • 2 Oranges in the morning (from my orchard)
  • Multivitamins, but not relying on it and trying to get it from natural sources (veggies, nuts, fruits, chicken)
  • 6g a day of spirulina (which may or may not help but the study is promising)
  • **EDIT** almost forgot. Breathe through your nose when possible. Its the natural way, and designed to filter. (Obviously we can't do that training)

If anyone else has something to add I'm all ears.
This is pretty similar to my routine. I'm also taking Zicam twice a day, just to make sure I'm getting Zinc into the system. I haven't been taking spirulina, but I'll do the reading and make a decision.
Likes For kensuf:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.