Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Classic and Vintage use in trainers?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Classic and Vintage use in trainers?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-20, 07:30 PM
Manny66 

Bikes: 1973 Colnago Super, Litespeed Classic , Automoto , Pinarello Gavia TSX,Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra,Eddy Merckx EMX-5 , 1982 Moser SL, Concorde TSX, Vitus 979 KAS. Diamant SLX,60's Meteor

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 327 Posts
I rode a old Carbon bike (TREK 2500) as well as a Steel bike on a trainer for years without issues. No cracks or breakage to be found anywhere.
Old 03-27-20, 08:55 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Careful using older bikes in a trainer. I had a problem with the tire getting hot and blowing out.(Ok, I'm a hammer head at times.) Wider tires help. Right now I'm using 700+23. I wish the bike could take a larger tire.
I dont see the correlation between the age of your bike and the tire popping.
Trainer tires are often 23mm wide. I would use that same tire regardless of if the trainer bike was old or new.
Old 03-27-20, 09:05 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
A spare room in our basement holds my setup. Its an '89 Tange 1 frame with 9sp 105/tiagra drivetrain.
I am 230# and the Tange 1 frame being locked into a cyclops fluid trainer has lasted for multiple winters without any noticable issue. Ive seen lots of online concern over classic Tange 1 and my size, but so far so good. I use the bike outside too, but it's not a frequent rider, so it's perfect for the trainer.

I put foam insulation around the top and bottom tubes to eliminate the issue of rust from sweat.