Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike trainer recommendation

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-20, 03:22 PM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have bad allergies this time of year so I normally use the gym/bike at work but they closed it due to the virus.
I cleared out space in a spare room to set up my bike with a bike trainer. Would like some suggestions on the bike trainer.
I have two Sirrus hybrids and a Cannodale CAAD8 road bike. I could use either.
I found three trainers on CL, a Kurt Kinetic, a Cyclops Fluid2 and a TREK CycleOP2, all about the same price.
I know nothing about trainers, have never needed on. Which one would work best? Any failure modes I should be on the look out for?
I'm thinking of ~30-45 minutes every other day.
I Thank you.
Old 03-26-20, 04:15 PM
AdkMtnMonster
Airplanes, bikes, beer.

Bikes: Road bikes, mountain bikes, a cx bike, a gravel bike…

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked 788 Times in 339 Posts
Fluid is generally considered best, magnetic second, wind third, with a few exceptions of course. Get a fan to blow cool air across your body, get a towel to wipe sweat, put something under the whole rig yo keto sweat off the floor, cover your stem/headset to help keep corrosion (from sweat) to a minimum. Also, there’s a sub forum dedicated to indoor trainers now.
Old 03-26-20, 05:43 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 715 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
And check Craigslist. Lots of buyers don't use their trainers much, and some of those try to sell them.
Old 03-27-20, 08:00 PM
zjrog

Bikes: 1986 KHS Fiero, 1989 Trek 950, 1990 Trek 7000, 1991 Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo, 1992 Trek 1400, 1997 Cannondale CAD2 R300, 1998 Cannondale CAD2 R200, 2002 Marin San Rafael, 2006 Cannondale CAAD8 R1000, 2010 Performance Access XCL9R

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 207 Posts
Kurt Kinetic fluid is a good choice. And they offer a sensor to provide power and speed if you decide to ride with Zwift later on.