Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Shimano UN55 Bottom Bracket Loose Adapter Cup Problem on brand new BB

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-12, 01:19 PM
lunarmike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have recently purchased two Shimano UN55 bottom brackets for our new tandem frame. On close inspection I have noticed that the UN55 adapter cups which slide onto the bb main body are a very sloppy fit. Space measured as 0.8mm! They certainly do not engage with grey mastic band inside the adapter.

I have an old, unused UN72 BB and the adapter cup is quite a tight fit on the body.

Both the UN55’s and the older UN72 adapter cups have a grey mastic band inside the loose adapter cup to grab the bottom bracket body when fully tightened. My old, unused UN72 is a tight fit in its’ adapter. The new UN55's are very loose in the adapter cups. The 0.8mm space on the UN55’s do not allow the adapter mastic to engage with the body at all.

Surely two adapters can’t be wrong. Am I missing something?

Comments on this problem would be appreciated.
Old 11-24-12, 08:17 AM
rogerstg
Fred-ish

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe you're trying to use a 68mm bottom bracket in a 73mm shell???
Old 11-24-12, 12:56 PM
onespeedbiker
Retro Grouch

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Shimano has gone through several designs for their left side "cups". Some appear to be a close fit uninstalled while some are loose. The only important thing is they are tight after being installed. Your UN55 is loose fitting until installed so torque it on and try not to worry. If it's the one I'm thinking of, there is usually some gray material at the bottom of the cup, but the cartridge does not appear to install that far down. When you install the cup however, the torque will press the end of the cartridge (like a pressed in bearing) all the way in.

Last edited by onespeedbiker; 11-26-12 at 07:23 PM.
Old 11-26-12, 02:33 PM
gyozadude

Bikes: Bridgestone RB-1, 600, T700, MB-6 w/ Dirt Drops, MB-Zip, Bianchi Limited, Nashbar Hounder

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you specifying radial slop? Or axial slop? Don't worry about the latter. As onespeedbiker notes, proper torquing, provided you have the right length BB shell (hasn't been machined too narrow) will put proper axial pressure on the bearing races and hold them in place. If you have 0.8mm radial slop, that's sounds like a LOT of slop and it shouldn't be that loose even with plastic cups. Check to see if the radial slop disappears because the plastic is slightly conical and will self-center when compressed.
Old 12-01-12, 01:33 PM
lunarmike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by onespeedbiker
Shimano has gone through several designs for their left side "cups". Some appear to be a close fit uninstalled while some are loose. The only important thing is they are tight after being installed. Your UN55 is loose fitting until installed so torque it on and try not to worry. If it's the one I'm thinking of, there is usually some gray material at the bottom of the cup, but the cartridge does not appear to install that far down. When you install the cup however, the torque will press the end of the cartridge (like a pressed in bearing) all the way in.
Thanks for your thoughts. Yes, I have observed the grey matter on the inside of the aluminum adapter. On my old UN72 BB that's where it grips the barrel. The UN55 BB body pushes right into that point without contacting the grey matter. That is where the excessive clearance is. All it will contact on tightening is the stepped circular rim in the adapter at that point. I wonder if the bevelled end on the BB body pushes into that stepped rim and deforms the aluminum stepped rim to hold the body end in place?
Old 12-01-12, 04:07 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5781 Post(s)
Liked 2,577 Times in 1,428 Posts
I suspect that Shimano redesigned the system to get around the problems that the old tight fitting sleeve had with corrosion. If water got into the BB the tight fitting overlap area would corrode, and the BB would be nearly impossible to remove. Reducing the contact area reduces the chances of the BB freezing together, but as noted by others, once it's in all the way, the ring makes a tight proper fitting contact with the BB unit.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.