Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Packing your racks in a bike box

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-18, 09:05 PM
white pass

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey folks, packing up for our first tour and having a hell of a time packing my surly nice front rack into my bike box, or even a suit case for that matter.

What do you do with your big racks when you pack up? We are using hard sided pro boxes we borrowed from friends.
Old 04-04-18, 04:56 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,520 Times in 7,324 Posts
I literally have Big racks--Nitto Big front and rear rear models. The Nice rack is not unlike the Nitto Big front, although not overbuilt like the Nice. They both fit inside my CrateWorks box along with my 60cm LHT. Your boxes sound like they are undersized for that sort of thing.
Old 04-04-18, 05:55 AM
saddlesores

Bikes: inferior steel....and....noodly aluminium

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 229 Posts
if you can't manage to fit the big/nice racks, consider buying a
couple sets of lowriders.

nashbar has theirs on sale now for $25, amazon has some for $20.
easy to pack, 600-700 grams lighter.
use 'em once, then sell 'em on craigslist for $15.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVO-Low-Rid...k/263576560876

Last edited by saddlesores; 04-04-18 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-04-18, 07:22 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Not really sure what you are using for a box, but I used standard bike packaging boxes. I put some foam pipe wrap/pool noodle around my top tube and zip tied the rack hanging over that. Metal couldn't touch metal, and once in the box, it kept it from swinging around too much.
Old 04-04-18, 09:02 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I like the Tubus Tara and Tubus Ergo racks. Of those two, the Tara is probably more packable. On my expedition bike I have another rack that I would not recommend, so that rack I won't name.

I gave my Surly front rack to a bike charity about 4 or 5 years ago.
Old 04-04-18, 10:36 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
I cope with other peoples gear, pack & ship for bikes left fot that serrvice @ LBS ,

something like the surly front rack , in a reused cardboard box I would put it upside down

in the bottom of the bike box..

We are using hard sided pro boxes we borrowed from friends.
you may need to use a second box for things that wont fit in a hard case made for race sort of bikes without racks..

Old 04-04-18, 11:02 AM
white pass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
One box is a hard sided, rectangular Thule, the other is basically the same.

I like the rack (just bought it), because it offers low riding panniers, with a nice platform on top for my camera stuff.

The problem is the way the box packaging is layered: wheels in the bottom, layer of heavy form, bike frame and other stuff, layer of foam, top. No combination of two layers fits between the rack either.

Anybody ever just carry the racks on the plane?
Old 04-04-18, 11:26 AM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
I like the Tubus Tara and Tubus Ergo racks. Of those two, the Tara is probably more packable. On my expedition bike I have another rack that I would not recommend, so that rack I won't name.

I gave my Surly front rack to a bike charity about 4 or 5 years ago.
I agree.

My Tubus Tara folds flat, and stows neatly on the rear rack.

Why not ditch the hard cases, and use a cardboard box?
Old 04-04-18, 12:08 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3458 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
Originally Posted by white pass
Anybody ever just carry the racks on the plane?
I have brought my helmet onto the plane, I did not want to pack it where it might get damaged. And I have brought things like pedals on a plane.

Surly rack would probably fill up the carry-on size checking bin if you are lucky. Do you have a fabric bag about the size of a carry-on that you could put the rack into, then put the other stuff that you were going to put into a carry-on into that bag?

Most airlines do not have a weight specification for carry-on, in that regard you are lucky.

I have no clue if a TSA inspector would think the rack is a weapon. If so, you lose the rack.

I mentioned above that I used to have a Surly rack. When I switched to Tubus low rider racks, I bought the little Nashbar rack that bolts onto the fork cantilever brake mounts. But more and more newer bikes lack the cantilever mounts. This way I get the low rider rack and the platform rack. And for riding around home, I take the low rider rack off but keep the platform rack.

In the attached photo I have the Tubus Ergo and the Nashbar rack on one of my bikes. (The wiring looks sloppy because the tour lasted two weeks, the light was only installed for a two week period so I did not try to make the wiring look pretty.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
20IMGP0469.JPG (168.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 04-04-18, 12:31 PM
indyfabz

One box is a hard sided, rectangular Thule....
What model Thule? This one?:

https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/lugga...port-_-1683467
Old 04-04-18, 02:23 PM
white pass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
What model Thule? This one?:
Yea pretty much, an older version. My friend bought it from a guy who sold it because it didn't fit his large 29er. I'm packing a large 700.

I'm too new to post links haha. (It even blocked me from quoting the URL)
Old 04-04-18, 02:28 PM
indyfabz

Well...The current version pretty much has the same dimensions as my CrateWorks box that holds my large LHT 700c and both my Big racks (and my stove and fuel bottle). Maybe it's all that padding that Is taking up space. My box has a large main compartment with tie down straps and no padding. Then there is a separator that goes on top of the frame, etc. On top of the separator go the wheels. I have a LBS pack my bike. I know they add various types of foam protection and bubble wrap.
Old 04-04-18, 03:39 PM
fietsbob
Banned

hard cases are something you either have to store , then come back to, or ship to a different place from where you depart.

cardboard boxes can be abandoned at the airport or hauled to 1st night's lodging where you will put your bike back together

then recycled there..
Old 04-04-18, 04:24 PM
white pass

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
hard cases are something you either have to store , then come back to, or ship to a different place from where you depart.

cardboard boxes can be abandoned at the airport or hauled to 1st night's lodging where you will put your bike back together

then recycled there..
Sure. If you can find another one to get your bike home. And I've seen too many what airlines can do to things not packed properly, I don't mind the minor hassle of finding a place to leave it.

Besides, your cardboard box doesn't have wheels
Old 04-04-18, 04:32 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Airports in Europe have abundant luggage trolleys.
Old 04-05-18, 07:22 PM
Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sure. If you can find another one to get your bike home. And I've seen too many what airlines can do to things not packed properly, I don't mind the minor hassle of finding a place to leave it.

Besides, your cardboard box doesn't have wheels
I love my hard cases and I have used them alot in the 80's and nineties. However my bicycle is 16kgs and my wifes with the Rohloff is 18kgs with racks. The hard cases are 12kgs and 14kgs. Our weight limit is 23kgs. Currently I am experimenting with two "Ground Effects Body Bags" which weigh 1.2kgs each. I hope to add our panniers to these bags to assist in protection along with perhaps some cardboard if we can keep under the limit. Last time I flew with bicycles (2005) I had a generous 30kg limit,, that is not possible this time.

The beauty of these bags is we can put our bikes together at the airport and fold up the bags to an A4 size package.

Bear
Old 04-05-18, 07:43 PM
gauvins

Bikes: Custom built LHT & Troll

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Dark Arrow
Currently I am experimenting with two "Ground Effects Body Bags" which weigh 1.2kgs each.
Please update. We currently use a padded bag. Flown 10+ times. Works well. Rolls to the size of a large/cheap sleeping bag, i.e. takes a considerable amount of space such that even though it is perfectly possible to ride an open-jaw with the bag tied on top of the rear rack, this is not ideal. We also have ultra light rinko bags but used them only once, in Japan, to take the train. Storing a touring bike in them is not trivial (we have to remove both wheels and racks, in addition to the stem and saddle).

The body bag seems spacious and protecting the frame with pipe insulation should do the trick. (now, carrying these foam tubes is no better than carrying a padded bag. But it might be reasonable to fly unprotected or to use clothes on the return leg.)

Anyhow. I'd be interested to read what you think.
Old 04-05-18, 08:46 PM
Doug64

This box was on 5 different flights before we reached our destination. The bike was just fine

We usually use open jaw flights, and while getting a box for the return can be a challenge, we try to plan our return flights where boxes are sold at the airport, e.g., Schiphol Airport, near Amsterdam.

A well packed bike usually comes out just fine.
Old 04-05-18, 09:16 PM
Dark Arrow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64

A well packed bike usually comes out just fine.
I am curious how one packs hydraulic brakes? Is there any special concerns? I have bar end shifters and trying to figer out a way to protect them as they stick out from the bar lol

Bear
Old 04-05-18, 09:20 PM
Dark Arrow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins

The body bag seems spacious and protecting the frame with pipe insulation should do the trick. (now, carrying these foam tubes is no better than carrying a padded bag. But it might be reasonable to fly unprotected or to use clothes on the return leg.)

Anyhow. I'd be interested to read what you think.

We are thinking of using our Ortlieb Classic panniers as some packing. I don't think my wife's bike will be able to get under 23kg with all her bags though so maybe on mine but hers is a bit heavier with the rohloff hub. We have 1 extra bag paid for both to and from our destination but it is only 23kgs as well. we can spread the load out but trying to find decent protection for bikes that weigh more than 15kgs is proving a bit of a puzzle.

Bear
Old 04-05-18, 09:31 PM
Doug64

I am curious how one packs hydraulic brakes? Is there any special concerns? I have bar end shifters and trying to figer out a way to protect them as they stick out from the bar lol

Bear
I don't have any experience with disc brakes. I am also wondering about bar end shifters. I have to pack by daughter's LHT for a trip this summer. I am going to try using the pipe insulation on the bar ends, covering the shift lever.

We are thinking of using our Ortlieb Classic panniers as some packing. I don't think my wife's bike will be able to get under 23kg with all her bags though so maybe on mine but hers is a bit heavier with the rohloff hub. We have 1 extra bag paid for both to and from our destination but it is only 23kgs as well. we can spread the load out but trying to find decent protection for bikes that weigh more than 15kgs is proving a bit of a puzzle.

Bear
This is the method we use for air travel. The bike and the empty panniers go into the bike box. We empty our panniers into large light weight duffel bag and the empty panniers go on the racks as padding. The duffel bags are checked, and the rackpack and bar bags go as carry on baggage.

A well packed bike can be placed in any position.

Last edited by Doug64; 04-05-18 at 09:48 PM.
Old 04-05-18, 10:44 PM
Dark Arrow

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
I don't have any experience with disc brakes. I am also wondering about bar end shifters. I have to pack by daughter's LHT for a trip this summer. I am going to try using the pipe insulation on the bar ends, covering the shift lever.

This is the method we use for air travel. The bike and the empty panniers go into the bike box. We empty our panniers into large light weight duffel bag and the empty panniers go on the racks as padding. The duffel bags are checked, and the rackpack and bar bags go as carry on baggage.

A well packed bike can be placed in any position.

You must be flying out of or into the US or have extra bags. We are only allowed 1 bag each, of which our bikes count as and our carry ons. We purchased an extra bag all the way to and fro but it cost a bit. We are envious

Bear
Old 04-05-18, 10:59 PM
saddlesores

Originally Posted by gauvins
...The body bag seems spacious and protecting the frame with pipe insulation should do the trick. (now, carrying these foam tubes is no better than carrying a padded bag. But it might be reasonable to fly unprotected or to use clothes on the return leg.)....
should be easy enough to source some foam or pool noodles or bubbly wrap
in the departure city.

scrap cardboard will work.....this box was cobbled together from used postal
shipping boxes. one taxi, two trains, one van, four flights with no damage.

by DIY'ing according to airline size restrictions, could leave on rear rack and
saddle, and fork and front lowriders, and fenders.
Attached Images
Picture 010.jpg (606.6 KB, 53 views)
Picture 013.jpg (701.7 KB, 53 views)
Picture 016.jpg (641.4 KB, 53 views)
Picture 017.jpg (761.7 KB, 53 views)
Picture 018.jpg (738.0 KB, 52 views)
Old 04-05-18, 11:07 PM
saddlesores

front end, and final package:
Attached Images
Picture 011.jpg (778.7 KB, 53 views)
Picture 019.jpg (610.9 KB, 53 views)
Old 04-06-18, 10:15 AM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts

Bear

My friend had hydro brakes when we went to Iceland last year, all he did was to get some of the pad spacers new bikes are shipped with from the LBS before he packed it up. No issues at all.

As far as bar ends, pack like Doug has his handlebars, and they shouldn't be a concern. I didn't have an issue with mine, I'd be more worried about brifters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.