Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

Bike options for Clydesdales - Cheapo

Search
Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Bike options for Clydesdales - Cheapo

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-06, 12:30 PM
BigCatDaddy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Mat

Nevis was a blast. Time now down to 1 hr 36 min (kind of bummed---was aiming for 1.5 hr or less. I flogged the swim. Tough thing to swallow is I was in the pool and lake all summer with TI technique and made little swimming time improvement other than endurance. I was much more fit this year and my time likewise improved. Congrats on your times.

Mine (estimates)
swim 14+ min (man was I slow)
bike 45+ min
run 30+ min
plus t1 and t2

I hired a local college coach to review my TI drills and review my technique quarterly over the next year and also review video of my stroke I send her. I'll be at a 9 min swim or less, even if it kills me. Aiming to go sub 40 on the bike and near 25 on the run. Gonna go to Buffalo, MN again next spring and will be doing the Detroit Lakes Tri (about a 1/2-2/3 Olympic distance) the week after Nevis next year.

Let the winter training games begin!!! The code word this year will be endurance, endurance, endurance.

As the prior poster has said...the best investment you can make is in your engine. By next spring, mine will be lugging around 20 less pounds.

Heard of the Tri in Walker, Minn? Canoe, Mt. bike, run? I'm gonna take a stab at that also.
Old 08-24-06, 03:18 PM
MatL

Bikes: none yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
dgasmd: I like your quote. but rplong beat me to the answer.

rplong: -- thanks for the answer-. As far as the names go, I think the Athena's got the better end of the deal.

not2fast: I hope you are correct. IF I dropped 16% weight by spring I will be out of Clydesdale category. I will keep my watersports based wetsiut until then.

fa63: Thanks for sharing your experience and based on your results -- a budget triathlete CAN do well. I think that you were one of the top 2 newbies is AWESOME... Doing it for under $400 is phenominal. Also I was really impressed that the swim was last. (I know that I would be worried that I would be out of gas by then -- thus fearing that I would swallow 1/2 the lake by the time I was done.) Skipping the tri specific wetsuit is OK -- as long as the lake is warm enough. Otherwise you could always ask a friend who waterski's to borrow the wetsuit for a couple weeks in the early season.

judson: I think you scored a HUGE bargain on that bike since it included shoes that fit you. You may have fell into this sprint triathlon thing a bit backwards, but with your goal to reach 175 -- I think you found a good sport to get you there. After all since you are training for 3 sports, your workouts won't get boring. Plus there will be a lot of goals and accomplishments along the way. I would suggest searching for some local events now and find out when the 2007 sign-up opens. As for the "Percheron" class -- I'm thinking 200+ lbs and under 5' 9" - let me know your thoughts?

BigCatDaddy: Look here for your 'official' numbers https://onlineraceresults.com/race/vi...p?race_id=3765 Nevis was a nice race. I enjoyed it. SO you've thrown down the gauntlet.... "I'll be at a 9 min swim or less, even if it kills me." With the way that course is set up -- your official swim time stops when you get to the top of the hill -- so you will really be swimming a 8:40 and running for 20 seconds. I hope you shatter the 8:40 mark. I will probably borrow a friends copy of TI to really see what this is all about --- although I may be better off figuring out the run and working on endurance, endurance, endurance as well.

Look forward to seeing you at Buffalo next year, but I doubt I will make DL. I may sign up for Nevis again -- if my coworker will let me crash at his cabin again. The Walker canoe - mtb - run sounds fun. I may try it sometime, but don't have a canoe yet. Let me know how it goes for you.

Last edited by MatL; 08-24-06 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-24-06, 05:04 PM
judson

Bikes: Scott Team MTB, Trek Hilo 1000, Bianchi Denali

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey MatL,

Yeah, I thought so too. I have the reciept for when the guy bought it all....almost 2k before taxes. The only problem is my knees are hitting my gut when I ride it, but I'm working on it. Percheron is perfect for under 5'9' and over 200..... I'm 5'8". I find exercising extremely difficult on the road. I travel for work. Usually 12-16 hour days... I have been getting on the tred mills at the hotels when I can.
Thanks for the encouragement!

-Judson
Old 08-24-06, 09:15 PM
MatL

Bikes: none yet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
judson

I bet that whole set up was $2K originally. Looks like I will be stopping by to get myself the proper frame size over the next week or so... then if I stumble on a deal that good, I can take action.

I give you credit for hitting the treadmills in the hotels. Most travellers won't even do that. If the company will spring for a hotel with a pool, try to start sneaking in some swimming- even if it's just 10 minutes of slow stuff before bed. A 12 - 16 hour day on the road would have wiped me out -- I don't know if I could do 30 min on the treadmill after that. I hope someone else on the board may have some good ideas for you.

I was outside Chicago this summer visiting family and I realized that when on vacation or travelling for work I don't watch my diet at all. I figured I was on vacation (or the company was paying for a few good dinners) I should enjoy myself. After enjoying the local quisine for a couple of days I started feeling 'the backward slide'.... and had to find a place to work out ASAP. I was able to use the communtiy pool to swim laps and a hotel let me use their treadmill on a weekend. Even so -- it always seems harder for me to make good food choices when I am away from home. Plus I was raised a member of the 'clean plate club' --- so I need to learn/reinforce that it is OK to leave some food on the plate. (yeah right -- )

Good luck and I hope someone has some ideas on how to fit training into a day that is 1/2 to 2/3 filled with work already.

Mat
Old 08-25-06, 11:33 PM
judson

Bikes: Scott Team MTB, Trek Hilo 1000, Bianchi Denali

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mat,

Yeah the receipt was $1899 for the bike and another $140 for the shoes. All of it had one training ride and one race. I couldn't pass it up. I hope you find a deal on a bike that fits you perfectly! Good luck!

It's hard to do it consistantly. I'm at 16 hours today and I'm wiped.

The lack of eating right and my company paying for meals (could go to Outback every night if I wanted) has made it very easy for me to gain all of this weight. I've been looking for healthier choices but hard to do while on the go. I'm a card holding member of the "clean plate club" too. That is a terrible habit and I'm doing better at "letting go". lol I'm almost getting lax with the kids.... let 'em eat 'till they're full. That's why we have a 'fridge I have been telling myself. Of course if they say they are hungry an hour down the road... guess what they get? Yep, whatever they didn't eat at the meal.

-Judson