Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Your Fixed Gear/SS Photos!

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Your Fixed Gear/SS Photos!

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-08, 08:58 PM
bdfresh

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Danthesoundman
Never heard of one of these, but your AMAZING pictures makes me want one! REALLY great photography and a sweet fixie! I've never had one yet either, but I plan on adding one to my arsenal. Thanks for posting this! I hope you enjoy your tight ride!
Same thing as a Windor Hour except this one is $200+ more. Go with the hour and save the money.
Old 06-18-08, 09:34 PM
Danthesoundman
Moto Psycho

Bikes: Kona Unit 2-9 ~ Black Sheep Ti Fork ~ XTR hydrolic discs §§§ KHS Solo One SE ~ Haro Mary Steel Fork ~ Avid mech discs §§§ Kona Smoke 2-9 ~ Kona P2 Fork ~ XTR grouped

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fetch
DOF wins again!
What are you sayin'? Depth Of Field? Bokeh?
Old 06-18-08, 10:27 PM
cc700
Ths Hipstr Kills Masheenz

Bikes: tirove

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
depth of field. bokeh is the effect a shallow depth of field gives you, but it actually refers to the quality of the blur, not the blur itself.

the pictures aren't spectacular. they're good, but the background is super-boring. i get it that it's in your yard, and the color brings out the flat paint which is great, but well... it's not enough to make it a good picture. it looks like a nice camera and all that but i don't think it deserves any kind of special praise. but hey, don't let me get you down. just find a better setting next time, something a little more interesting.
Old 06-18-08, 10:36 PM
erikinop

Bikes: IRO Angus, Compact III, Motobecane, KHS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i don't understand... why are all these bikes so clean?
Old 06-18-08, 10:43 PM
NewYorkMantle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
you take too much pride in having a thrashed ride, but nevertheless, that bike is now one of my favorites in this thread.
Old 06-18-08, 11:14 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
i want a tsunami real bad, but i don't want a thrashed one.
Old 06-18-08, 11:48 PM
erikinop

Bikes: IRO Angus, Compact III, Motobecane, KHS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that frameset is junky. the seat tube is cracked! on chucks bikes it's cheap i think.

assuming that "thrash" means weathered, yeah it is weathered. but it's like this son... if i have you over to my home for a bbq and we go on the deck and it is not looking so good, i am going to tell you to take off your damn boat shoes, and enjoy the splinters. because it is what it is. it is what it is, son. so, itis what it is. i would rather state why there is stupid red duct tape and steel clamps and junk all over the bike up front than have to repeat it multiple times later.

if you buy a new car and put it in the garage all the days, it looks good.
if you buy a new car and drive it everywhere and then some, (i hope you are watching for cyclists)it looks less good.

yo son, this bike couldn't look any better for the amount of riding it gets. every component is equally as beaten as the next. i guess consistency is key.
enjoy the splinters
Old 06-18-08, 11:50 PM
MIN 
big ring

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
nice photo. it obviously gets ridden and that frame probably does it's job so props.
Old 06-19-08, 12:07 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
wow "son" i am not from jersey so maybe i misspoke. i am saying that when i think about my deck and my own bbq, i want a non-splintered deck. not that your deck isn't cool, or fast, or that it doesn't stand up to thrashing. it's a very cool bike and i like all the explanations in the picture. thumbs up.
Old 06-19-08, 01:12 AM
hanhua

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just finished my first fixed bike today. Riding 42/15 ratio and it feels really smooth.

Old 06-19-08, 01:21 AM
Danthesoundman
Moto Psycho

Bikes: Kona Unit 2-9 ~ Black Sheep Ti Fork ~ XTR hydrolic discs §§§ KHS Solo One SE ~ Haro Mary Steel Fork ~ Avid mech discs §§§ Kona Smoke 2-9 ~ Kona P2 Fork ~ XTR grouped

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cc700
depth of field. bokeh is the effect a shallow depth of field gives you, but it actually refers to the quality of the blur, not the blur itself.

the pictures aren't spectacular. they're good, but the background is super-boring. i get it that it's in your yard, and the color brings out the flat paint which is great, but well... it's not enough to make it a good picture. it looks like a nice camera and all that but i don't think it deserves any kind of special praise. but hey, don't let me get you down. just find a better setting next time, something a little more interesting.
Yeah, they were taken at night with NO flash as well. Just wanted to show off my new build. I wasn't asking for a photography lesson, or critique, but thanks. You can't please all the people all the time, so I really don't even try to please you, or anyone except myself.

My camera is only worth about two hundred dollars on eBay. I think it's nice anyway.

I think some people put too much importance into a "background" when the subject is where most people focus. I also feel that the backyard looks a lot better than a lot of these pics in messy living rooms. At least there's dirt and grass near my tires.

I think it's obvious that I wasn't going for artistic photos with amazing backgrounds. These pictures are about the BIKE.
Old 06-19-08, 05:56 AM
sluglug

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my japanese built raleigh super record fg conversion.

Last edited by sluglug; 06-19-08 at 06:04 AM.
Old 06-19-08, 09:08 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just wanted to show off my new build.
yeah. i wouldn't have said anything if people hadn't gone and said they were the best pictures ever.
Old 06-19-08, 09:15 AM
ZiP0082

Bikes: 2008 Mercier Kilo TT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we're talking about the fuji track shots, right? i think the greens of the landscape perfectly compliment the bike, and that the narrow depth of field is brilliant. top notch!
Old 06-19-08, 09:39 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah, if you read the rest of the post i said both of those. it's the composition, light, and setting that drag it down. if it's about the bike, why have potted plants? anyway he already said he didn't want a critique so i'll just go ahead and let you keep thinking they're in any way 'top notch'
Old 06-19-08, 10:41 AM
Danthesoundman
Moto Psycho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah. i wouldn't have said anything if people hadn't gone and said they were the best pictures ever.
I didn't see anyone say that.

You obviously know a lot about photography and I'm sure we could all learn from you.
Old 06-19-08, 10:45 AM
Danthesoundman
Moto Psycho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yeah, if you read the rest of the post i said both of those. it's the composition, light, and setting that drag it down. if it's about the bike, why have potted plants? anyway he already said he didn't want a critique so i'll just go ahead and let you keep thinking they're in any way 'top notch'
I thought you were talking about my pics of my KHS Solo One SE with Avid Mechs and the Tranny-Sore-Ass-Wrecks squeeze horn. Go ahead and critique the pics of the Fuji; I think those pics are wonderful IMHO.

The KHS were taken in my backyard, at night, with no flash - just 2 - 3 second exposures on a tripod with a remote shutter release. NOT the right way to take pics, but it was dark, and I just wanted to get some pics. MY flash sucks and would have just made the pics even worse. I know they are underexposed too.
Old 06-19-08, 10:49 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I didn't see anyone say that.

You obviously know a lot about photography and I'm sure we could all learn from you.
well i am really into it, and some people in here are going ga-ga over some pretty bland photos which is the only reason i said anything... but i don't want to make this thread a photo critique thread. sorry for the confusion(i was talking about the fuji photos) and i hope that people will take awesome pictures, the only reason to critique is to motivate people to do better.

but i'll say it again, i don't want to turn this into a critique thread. i just have a knee-jerk reaction when people praise photographs that are neat as being all-mighty. /hijack.
Old 06-19-08, 11:26 AM
Danthesoundman
Moto Psycho

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well i am really into it, and some people in here are going ga-ga over some pretty bland photos which is the only reason i said anything... but i don't want to make this thread a photo critique thread. sorry for the confusion(i was talking about the fuji photos) and i hope that people will take awesome pictures, the only reason to critique is to motivate people to do better.

but i'll say it again, i don't want to turn this into a critique thread. i just have a knee-jerk reaction when people praise photographs that are neat as being all-mighty. /hijack.
I'm pretty happy if the subject is in (awesomely clear) focus, which seems really RARE these days. With a shallow depth of field and a blurred background, the background becomes insignificant, IMHO.
Old 06-19-08, 11:33 AM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
yeah focus and sharpness and other technical stuff is great, but what's in the frame matters.
case in point: https://farm1.static.flickr.com/207/4...6a7d449193.jpg
you can't tell me what's not in focus is insignificant. it matters. in some photos more than others, but it matters.
Old 06-19-08, 12:25 PM
cc700

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
not mine but holy crap it's pretty:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/baumcycles/2467361848/
Old 06-19-08, 12:51 PM
onespeed89

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by erikinop
i don't understand... why are all these bikes so clean?
I'd have to say that this is the most amazing bike i've ever seen, just because of how much love it has and how much character all those things bring to it. The is what a bike is.
Old 06-19-08, 02:09 PM
aMull

Bikes: Leader 735TR 09 58cm 46/17

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
True it's a sweet looking bike.
Old 06-19-08, 02:54 PM
G60

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
reminds me of this dude

Old 06-19-08, 05:59 PM
Pete J
Finnish Aussie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by G60
reminds me of this dude
Hahaaa, brilliant! That made me lol out loud.
I honestly don't see what the fuss is about, the bar angle looks uncomfortable and the rear axle is almost at the very end of the dropouts...
But hey, he did go to great lengths to label everything in the photo for us so for that he gets respetk!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.