Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stans conversion kit...is it needed?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-16, 04:43 PM
trail_monkey

Bikes: Soma B Side, Soma Wolverine, Salsa Fargo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 15 Posts

I have some Alex rims that are schrader tube compatible. I am thinking of going tubeless. I understand that Stans offers a conversion kit but it sounds pricey. Can someone tell me why you need this "rubber strip" that's in Stan's kit PLUS the tape? I don't understand why you cannot just tape, put on a tubeless tire, add sealant, and go? I have built 2 wheel sets for 2 different bikes both using Stan's rims so I am familiar with tubeless. I have never converted an existing set of rims before, though, so I am uneducated on why a standard rim needs more than just tape? My Alex rims have a similar style inner hook on the inside of the rim sidewall that the Stan's rims have for the tire to grip. So why can't you just add tape and go? What does this strip do?

Last edited by trail_monkey; 04-19-16 at 04:57 PM.
Old 04-20-16, 06:31 AM
trail_monkey

I thought I would include a couple pics of the inside of my rims. Yes my Stans rims have a little more of a flat ledge on the inside but other than that they look similar. Also the tires are a wire or kevlar bead. Can I safely use these tires tubeless or will I need to buy tubeless tires? I know these tires don't go on near as tight as my Maxis tires did when they went on my Stans rims. You needed a stick of dynamite to get those on lol.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
14611553940891.jpg (45.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg
14611553940480.jpg (43.4 KB, 15 views)
Old 04-20-16, 08:09 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
The purpose of the rubber strip is two fold, one to help seal things up, and two to help build up the rim bed for a better fit. It's not necessary though.

As far as tubeless tires, it depends a little on the application, for road tires, yes, you need tubeless. For mountain bike tires, you'd don't need tubeless tires, but it's very helpful. My mountain bike has Schwalbe Hans Dampf tubeless front, and regular rear. The rear tires is much more difficult to seat, the beads don't stay locked if you lose pressure, and goes sealant 2-3x faster than the front (you can see the sealant weeping through the sidewalls).

If you've got nearly new tires, its probably worth just converting them, but if they're fairly worn already, use it as an excuse to buy new tires.
Old 04-20-16, 08:43 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Not if you just keep using inner tubes

Rim has to be Air Tight , otherwise..

rolled and pinned rims can never be So.
Old 04-20-16, 09:44 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by gsa103
The purpose of the rubber strip is two fold, one to help seal things up, and two to help build up the rim bed for a better fit. It's not necessary though.

As far as tubeless tires, it depends a little on the application, for road tires, yes, you need tubeless. For mountain bike tires, you'd don't need tubeless tires, but it's very helpful. My mountain bike has Schwalbe Hans Dampf tubeless front, and regular rear. The rear tires is much more difficult to seat, the beads don't stay locked if you lose pressure, and goes sealant 2-3x faster than the front (you can see the sealant weeping through the sidewalls).

If you've got nearly new tires, its probably worth just converting them, but if they're fairly worn already, use it as an excuse to buy new tires.
So if I get regular tubeless-ready mountain bike tires,
but do not use a rim strip and only tape, is it going to have problems sealing without the rim strip?
Old 04-20-16, 10:14 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Face palm ..
Old 04-20-16, 10:46 AM
gsa103

Originally Posted by trail_monkey
So if I get regular tubeless-ready mountain bike tires,
but do not use a rim strip and only tape, is it going to have problems sealing without the rim strip?
You need something more than standard rim tape. Standard rim tape isn't air tight, and the sealant generally works on the outside rather than the inside. The better sealed the inside is, the better off you'll be.

There are many approaches, including cutting a tube in half, or using rim tape designed for tubeless conversions.
Old 04-20-16, 11:32 AM
trail_monkey

Originally Posted by gsa103
You need something more than standard rim tape. Standard rim tape isn't air tight, and the sealant generally works on the outside rather than the inside. The better sealed the inside is, the better off you'll be.

There are many approaches, including cutting a tube in half, or using rim tape designed for tubeless conversions.
By Rim tape are you talking about porous cloth Rim tape like what's on my rims now acting as an inner tube liner? I was planning on using Gorilla Tape to seal my spoke holes. I just want to know if the rubber liner does anything to help the beadlock against the side wall? The inside of these rims has a little hook on it similar to the inside of my Stan's rims
Old 04-20-16, 01:45 PM
gsa103

Originally Posted by trail_monkey
By Rim tape are you talking about porous cloth Rim tape like what's on my rims now acting as an inner tube liner? I was planning on using Gorilla Tape to seal my spoke holes. I just want to know if the rubber liner does anything to help the beadlock against the side wall? The inside of these rims has a little hook on it similar to the inside of my Stan's rims
Yes, that was what I meant by rim tape, just for clarity.
The rubber strip should help some by making the rim bed thicker especially at the bead wall, so there's less room for the bead to move up/down. It will also make the tire more difficult to mount. The Gorilla Tape method clearly works, plenty of people have had success with it.