Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bringing Holdsworth Professional back to life

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 10-09-19, 08:07 AM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

I figured I would create a new thread here in the proper forum instead of using the appraisal forum thread. You can catch up on how I acquired this bike here and see pictures

TL;DR, Purchased a 1971 Holdsworth Professional that has seen a ton of miles, this one enjoyed a lot of love and has the scars to prove it. This is my second Holdsworth and the first time i've seen a professional in person hence why i couldn't pass it up.

It's a 58cm which is usually right on the line for me but the price was right and i'm willing to make it work. I know i will get my money back if i have to move it along.

So far i've removed the ugly rack and bottle holder, replaced the handle bars + stem with a longer cinelli stem and wider 3ttt bars. The ones that came with the bike were not original, they were SR and i'm not quite sure what was original on it. Installed new hoods, and purchased a nuovo record rd to replace the suntour that came on it. New chain and tubes. Tires are ok for now. Replaced all housings and cables with jagwire. Any suggestions on brake pads for Campy Nuovo Record? I also need a seat post bolt as the quick release was not original.

I have no intentions on repainting this bike or doing much in terms of restoring it, other than cleaning and tuning. Whats the best way to protect the nicks in the paint? i've used clear nail polish in the past. Any other tips to pass along while I bring her back to life is appreciated.

Old 10-09-19, 10:20 AM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Wow, very nice!!!
Is that Batman holding it up for the pic?
Old 10-09-19, 08:19 PM
jetboy 

Bikes: centurion cinelli equipe, look hinault 753, Zunow z-1, 83 stumpy sport

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 814 Post(s)
Liked 331 Times in 186 Posts
yeah grail bike! make mine 60cm but like you i'd settle for a 58 if I could ever find one (at least one I could afford). you can wax the bike to keep out water from the nicks so rust does not grab ahold.

very envious. always wanted on of those...
Old 10-09-19, 09:04 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3895 Post(s)
Liked 4,821 Times in 2,226 Posts
Nice catch (reading prior thread) and nice way to bring it back to life.
Would love to have a Pro.

I have a Holdsworth Special in 58cm.
My perfect size is 60cm,
and the Special is one 58cm frame I have I wish was 2cm larger,
altho with chainstay adjusters removed the 1010 dropouts allow a very stable (without the touring feel) ride.
Old 10-10-19, 12:45 PM
GordoTrek

Bikes: 1962 Carlton Franco-Suisse Custom,1968 Raleigh DL-1/Tourist, 1971 Holdsworth Professional, 1973 Holdsworth Mistral,1973 Raleigh Gran Sport,1974 Raleigh Grand Prix, 1993 Trek 2200 Composite, 2011 Trek 7.3FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I have a 60cm 73 Holdsworth Mistral that I absolutely love, that one also has a good story if you want to read about it here. I was worried about this one being on the smaller end, as i've recently culled the herd on a few bikes that were always on the small side. But lastnight was the first time I finally rode her and I think the fit will be fine, still need to dial in the handlebars and seat but I definitely have enough room.