Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Your Catch of the Day / Saved from the Dump!

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-09, 07:50 PM
PlatyPius
Arsehole

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by robatsu
I've become a big fan of black bikes as well. The black hoods do give it a more refined look. Actually, even then doing the bars in black works, one of the few cases where the same color for hoods/saddle/paint/bar tape seems to actually be in good taste.
I quite like the brown bar tape. It sets the black off even more.
Old 04-15-09, 08:49 PM
Peruano
Biker

Bikes: Boone McReynolds, Centurion Pro Tour

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 61 Posts
Skylar, I have the sister to your Raleigh Marathon, although I can not tell that yours has the triple chainring (can't see in the photo). Mine came with indexed 3 x 6 shifting, barends, and has served me well as my touring bike that I store in IL for use when I visit from NM. I love the way the bike feels even tho it is somewhat heavier than my first and second string touring bikes. Ride it well. tom
Old 04-15-09, 09:00 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Just picked up a 1986 Trek 760 Pro Series for $50.
I plan to restore it for my brother so he can ride with us too, either that or I'll just give him the $ and keep it for me

Look clipless pedals, Cinelli stem, Bertolli bars, Suntour Superbe Pro and DiaCompe Royal Compe brakes, Selle Condor saddle, Matrix rims, Specialized hubs,

It's dirty, was laid down at some point and needs some attention... everywhere. Custom paint nicks and rust spots will be attacked first.

I wish it was cheaper but around here anything under $120 is gone ASAFP!

I think it has good bones... if not a terrible color scheme.

Last edited by thenomad; 04-15-09 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-15-09, 09:14 PM
sunburst

Bikes: Giant, Peugeots, Motobecanes, Kona, Specialized, Bike Friday, Ironhorse, Royal Scot, Schwinns

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 52 Posts
Originally Posted by thenomad
Just picked up a 1986 Trek 760 Pro Series for $50.
I plan to restore it for my brother so he can ride with us too, either that or I'll just give him the $ and keep it for me

I wish it was cheaper but around here anything under $120 is gone ASAFP!

I think it has good bones... if not a terrible color scheme.
I've got a '87 560 Pro, same color (minus the violet head tube - wtf!). I really love that Trek and it fits me like was custom made. Yes it has good bones - very good.

I know people get these amazing deals on bikes but how much cheaper than $50 could anyone expect. You can't buy a saddle for that. Or decent tires, or ... $50 is a steal! Anything that's steel goes on craigslist as a potential "fixie" and somehow that's supposed to justify a price range $200-300.
Old 04-15-09, 09:28 PM
thenomad
Riding like its 1990

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
A bit "tongue in cheek" about wanting it cheaper, but don't we all?
Old 04-16-09, 12:47 PM
BigPolishJimmy

Bikes: Fuji Monterey, Schwinn Traveler, Fuji Special Road Racer, Gitane Interclub, Sun EZ-1, Schwinn Frontier, Puch Cavalier, Vista Cavalier, Armstrong, Raleigh Sports, Schwinn Stingray

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Nice Trek!

Paid about $15.00 for a Nishiki Sport today from Goodwill. Sure it's nothing fancy (Hi-10), but I love the look of the lugs and it's got suntour and diacomp. Wheels are good and the tires might even be ok to ride. At first glance I thought they were dry rot, but apon closer inspection they seem to have spots of white paint, drywall dust or bird poop. I'll know more when I tear into it. Looks like bike season has just begun in earnest for me here in Michigan.
Old 04-16-09, 08:48 PM
Skylar
Full Clout Y'all

Bikes: Right now, 8-10 various steeds

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peruano
Skylar, I have the sister to your Raleigh Marathon, although I can not tell that yours has the triple chainring (can't see in the photo). Mine came with indexed 3 x 6 shifting, barends, and has served me well as my touring bike that I store in IL for use when I visit from NM. I love the way the bike feels even tho it is somewhat heavier than my first and second string touring bikes. Ride it well. tom

Tom-

Nice, man. I'm trying to figure the year of mine. My bike has a sakae crank from a Centurion LeMans in
it. I think it's getting brown leather wrap and a honey brooks.
Old 04-17-09, 09:51 AM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Copake Swap Meet:

$15 Blumel Popular black mud guards with white flap and hardware in nice condition
$1 Phillips NOS front brake cable/housing in package
$1 Phillips NOS front brake cable/housing in package
$1 Crown NOS Sturmey Archer replacement cable/housing in package
$2 Triumph 3-speed fenders/chain guard in rough cosmetic shape but better than what I have

$20 Total, plus lots of really cool sights
Old 04-17-09, 05:20 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
N+1

Not a keeper (too small) but a neat looking bike. It is a 1981 Fuji Royale 12-speed mixte.

441 Tubing, Suntour shifters & derailleurs (rear derailleur is marked "FUJI VX" which is kind of cool). Sugino cranks.

Serial number is FK000093, the 93rd bike built in November 1980 (for 1981 model year) if I read the Fuji Serial Number thread correctly. From the Fuji 1981 catalog.

I was riding my Raleigh DL-1 to the store and on the way back I noticed the Fuji sitting with the trash in front of a house. I looked it over a little and decided to take it. At that moment a teenager walked up to the house. I asked, "You live here?"

He said, "Yeah."

"You mind if I take your bike?"

"Go for it. The back tire is no good..."

So I walked the Raleigh the rest of the way home (2 blocks) and carried the Fuji.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."

Last edited by Doohickie; 04-18-09 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-17-09, 05:47 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinsubaru
Copake Swap Meet:

$15 Blumel Popular black mud guards with white flap
I can make your Triumph fenders quadruple, in trade for those Populars

-Kurt

Old 04-17-09, 06:47 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I just found this Supercycle lol, it aint much, it has some broken parts but aint in that bad of shape, looks like a joy rider bicycle, the good news is Tomorow Theres a huge bike sale going on, used bikes galore! I think like 5$ to 100$ princes and theres proberly gonna be over 800 to pick from, I so can't wait lol

Old 04-17-09, 06:51 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by HSean
the good news is Tomorow Theres a huge bike sale going on, used bikes galore! I think like 5$ to 100$ princes and theres proberly gonna be over 800 to pick from
Where?
Old 04-17-09, 07:00 PM
HSean

Bikes: Many. Ralieigh sports`s, Raleigh Superbe, sears Spaceliner, Firestone supercruisers, many vintage mountain bikes, random cruisers, and other unique bikes.

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Where I live in canada
Old 04-18-09, 11:48 AM
cycleheimer

Bikes: '02 Litespeed, '99 Bianchi Alfana. '91 Fuji Saratoga, '84 Peugeot Canyon Express, '82 Moto GR, '81 Fuji America, '81 Fuji Royale; '78 Bridgestone Diamond Touring, '76 Fuji America, plus many more!

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 224 Times in 127 Posts
Originally Posted by HSean
Where I live in canada
Canada sounds like my kind of country
Old 04-18-09, 02:29 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

N+2!

So yesterday I scored a Fuji Royale Mixte off the side of the road. Today, I took the dented hood from the car my son wrecked last month over to the city dump. They told me to put it "over there" which happened to be appliances and other stuff with lots of metal. At the back of the pile was an old stovepipe Schwinn Varsity Sport in a 24" frame (I think- big enough to be a keeper). I walked back over to the guy I had talked to and asked if I could take it. He said people aren't supposed to take stuff from the dump but because I asked no nice... sure!

Serial No. CJ526842 = March 1973 according to OldRoads.com

Originally sold by Paramount Schwinn, Harvey, Illinois- a Chicago Schwinn from a Chicago area store!

Looks like everything is there, with some rust and a little cosmetic damage. I've never seen a Schwinn seat that old in condition that good.

That's two bikes in two days. Then again they seem to come in pairs for me.

Last edited by Doohickie; 04-18-09 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 04:26 PM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I paid 10$ for this road bike today, it apears to be older but not to sure what brand it is because someone made a very bad choice to paint it without sanding the old paint or stripping, Also used that trauiler to get it home, paid 20$ for it, there sure was alot of bikes at that sale thing today but I wasn't first in line I was far back, this must of been dissliked because it's color, but i'll fix that! also more better pics of yesterdays curb find,

Old 04-18-09, 06:17 PM
VintageRaleigh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Where was the sale?

Toronto?
Old 04-18-09, 08:41 PM
HSean

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Ottawa
Old 04-18-09, 09:21 PM
YoKev
hi

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This '85ish Fuji Del Ray was actually a catch about 2 years ago; a minty fresh free roadside find with under 50 miles on it. I gave it to a friend to get into road biking, and he has since upgraded. It came home to me a few days ago with mostly fresh tires and new cables, and I sent it out this morning to another friend (for free of course). Hopefully, he rides it enough, upgrades to something, and it comes back to me in a year or so Who will get it next?

Last edited by YoKev; 04-18-09 at 09:25 PM.
Old 04-18-09, 09:53 PM
JunkYardBike
Dropped

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by kevinsubaru
This '85ish Fuji Del Ray was actually a catch about 2 years ago; a minty fresh free roadside find with under 50 miles on it. I gave it to a friend to get into road biking, and he has since upgraded. It came home to me a few days ago with mostly fresh tires and new cables, and I sent it out this morning to another friend (for free of course). Hopefully, he rides it enough, upgrades to something, and it comes back to me in a year or so Who will get it next?
Now that's the way to feed the acquisition addiction with no capital outlay!
Old 04-18-09, 11:31 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Yeah baby!

Old 04-19-09, 07:27 AM
droobieinop

Bikes: jamis xenith comp '08, trek 750 hybrid (w/drops) c.1995, centurian fixie, kona cindercone mtb c.2000

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a short day for me on friday so I checked CL and found these listed. Now I wish I'd saved the ad, "on one the handle bar is bent and all the tires are flat. Bought new 3 +/- years ago and have been in storage since. $75 each $100 for the pair."

I know that recent bikesdirect/bike spectrum bikes aren't true C&V material, but how else is one to support their habits. The bent handle bar was a spun brake lever (fixed) and the flat tires are likely from sitting (aired up fine have to check them). They should be a quick flip after wheel truing, new bar tape and full tune up. I have a couple of freinds that might be interested, if not its back to the CL.

Last edited by droobieinop; 04-19-09 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-19-09, 09:42 AM
gamecat
Hoopy Frood

Bikes: Trek 7.3fx, Peugeot PX-10, Fuji Roubaix Pro ('04), Cannondale R600, Triumph Roadsters, Raleigh 20, Univega Nuovo Sport, Schwinn Sierra, Bianchi Osprey, Peugeot NS-22, Batavus Champion, Haro Pulse.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That Oryx frame looks oddly familiar. Is it used by another manufacturer for a brand of better repute?

If it were me, I'd strip them for their components and sell the frames cheap on the 'bay. But then again I actively need components and you may not.

Nice finds.
Old 04-19-09, 02:41 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,752 Times in 939 Posts
A pretty good week...

The bikes are flowing in Thunder Bay and about a half dozen made it to The Old Shed this week, the most notable of which would be either a near mint pastel yellow Peugeot "Sprint" or a very unusual dark green chrome moly Cambio Rino. A near mint 48cm Apollo and an equally nice 48cm Sekine SHC270 also joined ranks. To that add a late sixties Bottecchia, a CCM "Grand Tourisimo" and a gorgeous mid seventies Sekine Mixte that I have had my eye on for a couple of years now. Finally, a TI Raleigh "Professional" showed up with a Campy headset and bottom bracket still mounted, not to mention a set of black Weinmann side pull brakes. Sadly, the seat tube is toast on the Raleigh and will have to be replaced. But the guy who damaged the tube got the seat post out - no matter what! A Favorit made its way into the back yard but did not get into The Old Shed - just too junky so back it went.

Though the Raleigh "Pro" was damaged, it came with two sets of wheels which yielded a set of Campy High Flange hubs and skewers as well as a low flange set. The wheels were no good but the hubs, were just great.

Though the Sekine Mixte is a nice enough bicycle, it is of interest to me for picture taking only so that I can add a section about Sekine Mixte bicycles to MY "TEN SPEEDS". After that the Sekine Mixte and everything else just mentioned is looking for new homes.

Next week, if all goes well, I should have a shot at a custom make Gardin frame set that came with a Campy Anniversary grouppo installed but has long since been removed. Additionally, I will be speaking with a lady who owns a mint Cyclops - jet black with yellow art - about purchasing it on Wednesday night at a special Bicycles for Humanity - Thunder Bay presentation. My guess is that I will not be able to afford the Cyclops but it is a gorgeous bicycle.

No time to work on any of this week's finds but took a moment to take a couple of pictures now that I am getting the hang of this forum thing.
Old 04-19-09, 02:41 PM
rotharpunc
BEHOLD! THE MANTICORE!

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I dumpster dove these this morning, the mongoose is going to donate a rear end for a long bike project then get tossed. The other is a nice Nishiki Olympic 12 that is too big but has some decent components, so I will part it out. I like the drilled Sugino rings and symmetrical shifters.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.