Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Cyclist dies on Bayview Ave in TO. Ironically wide bike lanes there

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Cyclist dies on Bayview Ave in TO. Ironically wide bike lanes there

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-24, 10:26 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1241 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 251 Posts
Just adding this to point out there's a lady vlogger that did a 2 hour livestream of the Monday wake ride and it's posted on YT. She was about the middle of the pack of about 200 I guess, riding her commuter e-bike. They did a loop with the road closed by the police, then stopped at the merge site, then dispersed. They had good weather. The ghost bike has drop bars.
Most of that ramp lane is 4 feet higher than the Bayview roadway, hindering driver's view some. Poor layout for sure.

>> The bonus is she lives past the west end of Toronto and rides the Lake shore bike lane. So she shows the whole MUP along the Bayview then to the Humber Bridge. So yah it is narrow the first mile south thru the trees and had puddles for 100 yards. None of the shore MUP is especially wide, and always crowded with runners. I rode that one day in August. Their other new street side lanes have a million bean poles. Horrible IMO.
====
She also has videos of her Trans-Canada ride in 2022, on a Kona Sutra. Heading for Sudbury, there was a 2 foot shoulder with stupid rumbles, so she had to ride inside the line a bit. A Jeep SUV took out her left paniers and dumped her on the road. This was at the top of a long hill, so blocking the view and slowing her speed. Lucky only the bags suffered damage. 2 weeks later she restarted on the lake shore route with her parents help. The OPP didn't help retrieve her bike with her in the hospital that night.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 04-17-24 at 04:39 PM.
Likes For GamblerGORD53:
Old 04-19-24, 02:27 PM
jon c. 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
Amazing to me how quickly "cyclists" who weren't there and don't know the area will leap to the conclusion that the deceased rider must have done something wrong.