Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Any rear derailleur suggestions please?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-07, 03:43 AM
mightymouse
Catch me if you can.

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX Hybrid, old Shogun trailblazer MTB, Giant OCR2, GTR Series 1 road, Baum custom steel road, Baum custom titanium road

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The story so far:The original rear derailleur for my Trek 7200 Hybrid 2002 (Mega Range C201 (low-normal)) has been replaced at the LBS with Shimano Acera. Apart from the shifting being high-normal, the traking is terrible - chain jumping &/or labouring.
I'd like some opinions about this please. I have not been happy with the servicing by this LBS and this latest issue seems to confirm this for me. All opinions warmly & gratefully welcomed. Ta.
PS - the C201 had 24,000+ k's on it & rarely missed a beat.
...and now my question to you...
Anyone out there have any suggestions for a replacement rear derailleur for my Trek 7200FX Hybrid 2002 which has low-normal function? I am now convinced that my LBS doesn't know what it's doing. All tips warmly welcomed. Many thanks. MM

Last edited by mightymouse; 08-16-07 at 04:31 AM.
Old 08-16-07, 05:37 AM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The symptoms that you describe sound like a tension adjustment without knowing more about it. Did it used to run well before swapping the derailleur?
Old 08-16-07, 06:30 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
The symptoms certainly sound like a cable tension issue which should be easily corrected. The Acera rd isn't the best Shimano makes but it is serviceable and should be made to work properly if adjusted correctly.

Shimano's makes some of their higher line MTB derailleurs in low-normal configuration and these should work well on your bike. They will be lighter but noticeably more expensive than the Acera. The least expensive of their low-normal derailleurs would be be the Deore RD-M530-L or RD-M530-S

Last edited by HillRider; 08-16-07 at 06:39 AM.
Old 08-16-07, 07:12 AM
mightymouse
Catch me if you can.

Bikes: Trek 7200 FX Hybrid, old Shogun trailblazer MTB, Giant OCR2, GTR Series 1 road, Baum custom steel road, Baum custom titanium road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jazzy_cyclist
The symptoms that you describe sound like a tension adjustment without knowing more about it. Did it used to run well before swapping the derailleur?
- Yes, it worked beautifully before. Thanks jazzy_cyclist
Originally Posted by HillRider
Shimano's makes some of their higher line MTB derailleurs in low-normal configuration and these should work well on your bike. They will be lighter but noticeably more expensive than the Acera. The least expensive of their low-normal derailleurs would be be the Deore RD-M530-L or RD-M530-S
. I think one of the expensive ones is Shimano XTR (low-normal) RD-M970. There's also the Nexave T400,Saint M800/M805. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong anywhere. The Deore RD-M530-L I've heard of before. Have been told it's very reasonable in price & performance. Thanks HillRider.

Last edited by mightymouse; 08-16-07 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Checking my facts.
Old 08-16-07, 07:34 AM
Wordbiker
Pwnerer

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Why not just replace the C201? 24K Km, Low-Normal, made for Mega-Range, shifted well...why change it?
Old 08-16-07, 07:51 AM
DMF 
Elitist Troglodyte

Bikes: 03 Raleigh Professional (steel)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Yeah. Put the old one back on. It's probably still adjusted right, too.

- Will Rogers
Old 08-17-07, 12:14 AM
mightymouse
Catch me if you can.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wordbiker
Why not just replace the C201? 24K Km, Low-Normal, made for Mega-Range, shifted well...why change it?
Originally Posted by DMF
Yeah. Put the old one back on. It's probably still adjusted right, too.
The plate that holds the C201 is broken & it's getting quite old. As for replacing with the same, I could not find one in South Australia or Australia via web search. I found one at Nashbar https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%20Derailleurs . Problem here is Nashbar (& Performance...same owners) charge exhorbitant shipping costs to Australia. I don't think they really want to do business out here.
Old 08-17-07, 12:37 AM
Sci-Fi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Can buy a new C201 for $10 here, but check out the shipping charges:
https://www.bomi.info/shop/index.php?...ear_Derailleur
Old 08-17-07, 07:06 AM
supcom
You need a new bike

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
After 24,000 Km, perhaps there are other issues? Have you replaced the cables, housings, chain, and rear cassette anytime lately? Is the derailleur hanger bent? New derailleurs generally run pretty well if there are no other issues - even cheap ones.