Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sell, Fix it and then sell or keep it?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-19, 11:25 PM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 885 Post(s)
Liked 990 Times in 522 Posts

I have a real nice Zunow Serial number #298 and it has some dents in the top tube and a hole on the bottom side of the top tube see pictures
I have a few choices, 1, Sell it as is with full disclosure. 2, Fix it with two choices; sell it also with full disclosure or keep it.

This is such a nice bike it just seems to float along and I really do not trust that top tube. The seat tube and down tube both have a tink tink when you flick them with a fingernail, the top tube kinda goes thunk.

This frame and fork along with all of the salvaged Shimano 600 parts will be sent to the States next month with my wife. I am thinking if some frame builder volunteers here I will send it to them for a top tube replacement otherwise it will be sent to Yellow Jersey for a top tube replacement.

The dents

The hole about 1/8" in dia

a zip tie stuck in the hole

Last edited by bwilli88; 11-24-19 at 08:03 AM.
Old 11-24-19, 12:05 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 2,378 Times in 891 Posts
Sell with FD.
Old 11-24-19, 01:10 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18376 Post(s)
Liked 4,510 Times in 3,352 Posts
So why don't you trust that top tube? Has it lied to you? Stolen from you?

A couple of small dents mid-tube likely won't affect it at all.

I'm not sure of the "thunk" vs the "tink".

You could probably roll out those dents, then fill. But, you'll be doing significant paint touchup, and possibly rebrazing the cable guide.
Old 11-24-19, 02:09 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3887 Post(s)
Liked 6,482 Times in 3,206 Posts
Wrap it with twine and tell 'em you carry it up stairs there.

Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 11-24-19, 02:27 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,829 Times in 1,995 Posts
Does The location of the hole have to do with the dents? I see three areas of trauma - one at a braze on.
the hole looks kind of internal to external... this frame have chrome headlugs?
if so... probably poor rinsing- new top tube.

if I was considering to purchase I would factor in a new tube.
Old 11-24-19, 03:29 AM
CliffordK

Looking at it a bit more.

Was the frame repainted?

Is it possible that you have major rust issues with the top tube? I'd expect more damage showing if it had rusted out. Perhaps some bubbling, unless it was cleaned, the hole showed up, and it was repainted anyway.
Old 11-24-19, 04:58 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Bikes: In USA; 73 Raleigh Super Course dingle speed, 72 Raleigh Gran Sport SS, 72 Geoffry Butler, 81 Centurion Pro-Tour, 74 Gugie Grandier Sportier

I cleaned the frame, sanded it a bit, I knew the dents were there and had it painted at a local auto painter to keep the rust at bay. I did not see the hole until I built it. I purchased it a couple of years ago and have not ridden it much. It was a rust bucket the chain stay chrome and the fork chrome were destroyed by the rust. The only original chrome was fork, rear dropouts and chain stay nothing else. The hole is all the way through the tube into the bottom of the tube about 4 inches to the front of the dents.

Last edited by bwilli88; 11-24-19 at 08:07 AM.
Old 11-24-19, 05:39 AM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by bwilli88
the top tube kinda goes thunk.
Is that everywhere, or just around the hole?

I'd ignore the dents alone (as you seem to have done when you got the frame painted).

But, I am concerned with the likely rust in the top tube. And, if it is there, perhaps it is elsewhere too.

With some luck, most of the steel would be OK, with the rust localized to the bottom of the tube.

I think steel often bends and cracks over time, rather than an immediate catastrophic tear, although people may not notice it until it is too late.

If your bike is mostly built and ready to ride, I think I'd go ahead and ride it for now, but check that hole, top tube, and other tubes periodically.

I would not sell it as a complete bike. I don't think I'd sell the frame, unless it was being sold directly to a frame builder or someone that intended to replace the tube.
Old 11-24-19, 05:51 AM
bwilli88 
Not lost wanderer.

Here is the build threadhttps://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...hed-zunow.html
Old 11-24-19, 06:38 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you do not trust the frame, why would you think another person should trust it? Hang it on the wall and look at it from time to time.
Old 11-24-19, 07:37 AM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 2422 Post(s)
Liked 4,395 Times in 2,092 Posts
Top tube dents aren't an issue, but I would be concerned with the hole, seeing as we're talking about the tube at it's thinnest point (between the butting).

If you don't mind a wall hanger, leave it as is. If you don't want to deal with it, sell it with full disclosure, and I'm sure someone willing to have the TT replaced will scoop it up.

Originally Posted by seypat
If you do not trust the frame, why would you think another person should trust it?
Because framebuilders.

-Kurt

Old 11-24-19, 09:17 AM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 904 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 320 Posts
I would put it in front of a frame builder I could trust and ask for a top to bottom inspection. No sense replacing the top tube if the remainder is suspect. If it seems otherwise OK, then do the math and decide if you like it enough to keep, or guess at what price you would get with/without replacement. My hunch is replacement would be better left for whoever keeps the bike, but I could be wrong.
Old 11-24-19, 11:04 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
Probably hard to find a framebuilder in Cambodia, though.

The only thing I find disturbing about your description is the "thunk" instead of "tink" that the top tube makes. Could be because of the sound-deadening effect of the plastic-sheathed rear brake cable housing running along it though.

I have cracked a number of steel frames and in my experience, they fail gracefully. You should see a crack beginning if it's starting to fail. I would just ride it, and inspect it after every ride. After all, you know where the trouble spot is. Listen for creaking, too. Cracked steel frames will often creak. I don't think you'll have it fall in half under you and cause a crash as long as you're prudent.
Old 11-24-19, 12:08 PM
CliffordK

Originally Posted by bwilli88
Hmmm... A little hindsight here:

The hole is clearly visible in the top tube as you were assembling. But, probably not something you were looking for.

It is a stunning bike in its completed form:

I'm not seeing the hole on the photos as you were stripping the bike. The drive-side chainstay had deep rust, but no obvious rust-through places.

I don't see any photos of the frame stripped bare of paint. My Mercier had essentially worms under the paint. And, I'm worried that if I ever get rid of all the rust, there will be holes.

I don't see the top tube dents in the build photos, but perhaps they weren't well photographed.

Nonetheless, if you've been rinding it and enjoying it, then ride and watch, watch and ride... as long as you aren't pushing it beyond its breaking point in races.

Originally Posted by scarlson
Probably hard to find a framebuilder in Cambodia, though.
Possibly, but if @bwilli88 does find one, it could well be dirt cheap. Although purchasing quality tubing could be an issue, but not insurmountable with the internet.