Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Online shops

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Online shops

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-20, 07:37 AM
Redrovermiami

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Online shops

Any suggestions or opinions on

bikes online dot com?

Any other good stores?

Or its best to support the locals?

They have a polygon 5.0 for $450

Thanks
Old 03-04-20, 12:18 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 533 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
As I mentioned to you before, these kinds of online dealers usually wildly understate the amount of skilled assembly needed to be comparable to a bike purchased at a good local dealer, in addition to the value a shop provides in fitting, warranty support, and usually some bundled service. With this taken into account the bike may still be a good deal, but this is the case more often at the high end than at the low end. Some exceptions are companies like Canyon and, in my experience, to a somewhat lesser degree Diamondback that do more legitimate preassembly. Bikesonline claims to be more this business model--I haven't seen any of their bikes so I can't comment. If so, that'd be a decent deal. There are still meaningful value additions from a local dealer, but only you can ultimately weigh them.

I work at a local bicycle shop, so I have a somewhat biased perspective, but I mostly just want people to have a more complete view of what different options ultimately offer. Consumer direct makes a lot of sense a lot of the time.
Old 03-04-20, 07:05 AM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
You might give Jenson USA a look. I recently bought a Jamis Dragonslayer from them. The only thing I had to do upon arrival was open the box, and put the front wheel on it and was ready to ride. The prices are very competitive . A 2400 dollar bike for 1250. And they have further reduced the cost and are sending me a 150.00 refund on my credit card.