Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

New wheels Vintage bike

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

New wheels Vintage bike

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-20, 03:31 PM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Captain Paul
yes original. I hate to send it to the frame shop to have it widened unless I am pretty sure it will work.
Try it first. Put the wheel in and see how well the shifting works. You can put the bike in a stand, or hang from the ceiling and see what happens

I have a 10 speed wheel in a vintage bike with downtube shifters. I could just about reach the largest cog. I filed down the "L" stop tab a little bit, so now it works.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 06-28-20, 05:55 PM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 741 Times in 430 Posts
I had some troubles with friction shifting when I changed a vintage bike from 6 to 8 speeds. And I put that 8 speed cassette on a 10-speed hub.
Old 06-28-20, 07:41 PM
FastJake
Constant tinkerer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 185 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 75 Posts
It sounds like you found your answer. But yes, an 8/9/10 speed cassette will fit on a "10-speed" freehub. The hubs are identical. You can even run a 7-speed cassette with an extra spacer behind, if you want to.

Originally Posted by Iride01
If you like upgrading them and haven't gone STI's, then make the leap. Indexed shifting on the handle bars really does make a better riding experience. At least for me it did.
Not for me. I went downtube -> bar-end -> brifter and now I'm back to downtube on everything. I just think they feel better and I don't appreciate the clutter of four cables coming out from the bars. The only bike that has a brifter is my cyclocross racing bike, where downtube would be 1) too much of a liability on bumpy courses, and 2) impossible on the carbon frame. I don't do road racing anymore. If I did, I'd probably use brifters.
Old 06-28-20, 08:08 PM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
Just some food for thought. That's a pretty heavy bike. Not quite as heavy as the 46 lb Varsity I rode for many years. But still much heavier than even the inexpensive discount bikes online.
If you are just going out for a relaxing leisurely ride, then it's probably a comfortable riding bike. However if you are going to ride in a more serious fitness type riding style and go out with others on long rides, then you might want to save the expense of upgrades on the old bike that wasn't a true lightweight bike even in its heyday.
Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm thinking this is a 28 to 30 pound bike.
27.5 to 28 lbs for the 21 and 23 inch frames. Doubled butted chrome-moly tubing, made by Panasonic in Japan. Suntour or (my Voyageur) Dura Ace.

Clearly modern bikes give you some advantages, but this was a bike that was viewed as competitive with the hand-build Paramount. A bit heavier, yes, but half the price. I set these bikes up new when I worked in the Schwinn shop in my home town.I remember thinking that they were very high quality - fit and finish were superb. They ride as well or better than a lot of new bikes, I reckon.
Old 06-28-20, 08:59 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
Originally Posted by WizardOfBoz
27.5 to 28 lbs for the 21 and 23 inch frames. Doubled butted chrome-moly tubing, made by Panasonic in Japan. Suntour or (my Voyageur) Dura Ace.

Clearly modern bikes give you some advantages, but this was a bike that was viewed as competitive with the hand-build Paramount. A bit heavier, yes, but half the price. I set these bikes up new when I worked in the Schwinn shop in my home town.I remember thinking that they were very high quality - fit and finish were superb. They ride as well or better than a lot of new bikes, I reckon.
I've owned four Schwinn's. A Varsity for about 35 years was my main ride. All of them rode very well and comfortably. However all were heavy. Even the Paramount that I still have I consider heavy at about 22.5 pounds.

My new bike rides great too. With less weight, I'm able to go further without feeling wore out. And I don't have to reckon about that! <grin>
Old 06-29-20, 06:42 AM
WizardOfBoz
Generally bewildered

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 6.9, 1999 LeMond Zurich, 1978 Schwinn Superior

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1152 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 251 Posts
I've owned four Schwinn's. A Varsity for about 35 years was my main ride. All of them rode very well and comfortably. However all were heavy. Even the Paramount that I still have I consider heavy at about 22.5 pounds.

My new bike rides great too. With less weight, I'm able to go further without feeling wore out. And I don't have to reckon about that! <grin>
I've owned a Varsity, but then worked in a bike shop. They got some of my paycheck back in parts and bikes I bought. I progressed to a Raleigh Competition (it was Lavender! A great bike). Then a custom-made Paramount. I agree, the Paramounts were typically a little heavier than other bikes, but they rode superbly. Didn't ride for several decades but then I got a Trek Domane 6 CF, a Lemond Zurich 853, and two Schwinns: a Superior, and a World Voyageur. I just got on the Lemond this weekend and it was really comfortable. I've relaced the wheels on the Superior, and that rides nice, too. I have to refurb the Voyageur but I suspect that it will be a super ride, too.

The Trek CF is obviously the lightest, and its a great design. But I think that the steel Lemond is a skosh more more comfortable. The Trek is more efficient, and its my main ride. If I had the heinie of a younger man I'd never ride anything else.