Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mavic Module 3 rims + HP tires OK?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-20, 03:18 PM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts

I got a beat-up old mixte awhile back and put it aside. Just recently noticed it had Mavic Module 3 27" rims laced to Normandy hubs. From what I read on Velobase and here these are pretty good rims. On my vintage bikes with 27" wheels, I have Weinmann rims and Panaracer Pasela tires that I generally inflate to no more than 80-85 lbs, otherwise the tires seem to blister off the rims. Will I be able to inflate Paselas to 100-110 range with the Module 3 rims? If so I'm going to make a point to switching them onto my Motobecane Grand Record.

Always thought I paid too much for that Mixte, (100 USD) but this might make it all worthwhile.....
Old 08-09-20, 03:31 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Yep those are good rims with a bead. With hookless rims, you can't run the pressure too high and you need to use wired on clinchers. With a quality rim with a bead, you can go with a folding tire and run the pressure to whatever the recommended pressure is.