Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Campy Chorus 2015 brake release question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-20, 03:39 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts

Hopefully an easy question.. Is the overall clearance/distance that the brake arms open up after using the release, relative to how close together they are when they're not released? Or put another way, no matter how close or far you have the brakes set for normal operation, do they always open to the same width after release?
Old 08-01-20, 04:08 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
The way most brake quick releases work is to open a fixed amount beyond where the brakes are adjusted, by paying out a fixed amount of cable, set by their construction. A quick look at a photo will show how this is so.
Old 08-01-20, 04:34 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Hopefully an easy question.. Is the overall clearance/distance that the brake arms open up after using the release, relative to how close together they are when they're not released? Or put another way, no matter how close or far you have the brakes set for normal operation, do they always open to the same width after release?
IIRC, using the center-adjust bolt changes the pad-to-pad clearance at least when closed. Might impact when open, but I never checked.

I suppose if you really have the barrel adjuster turned you can appreciably effect the open pad-to-pad distance
Old 08-01-20, 04:43 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

So, another rephrasing: I have 21mm rims with 26mm (measured) tires (5mm differential). Using the brake release, it's quite difficult to get the wheel off the bike without releasing some air from the tires.

If I put eg. 24mm rims (3mm wider) on the bike and tires now inflate to 27mm (measured) or now only a 3mm differential, will it be any easier to get the wheels off the bike with inflated tires?
Old 08-01-20, 05:07 PM
dsbrantjr

So, another rephrasing: I have 21mm rims with 26mm (measured) tires (5mm differential). Using the brake release, it's quite difficult to get the wheel off the bike without releasing some air from the tires.

If I put eg. 24mm rims (3mm wider) on the bike and tires now inflate to 27mm (measured) or now only a 3mm differential, will it be any easier to get the wheels off the bike with inflated tires?
Assuming you adjust the brake pads to an identical distance from the brake tracks in both instances, you should have nominally 2mm more room. If you need more clearance to remove your tires you could do your initial adjustment with the brake barrel adjusters almost all of the way out, and run them in to open the brakes further, or add an inline brake adjuster and use both the adjuster and quick release when you need to remove/install a wheel: https://neweracycle.com/shimano-sm-c...able-adjuster/
Old 08-01-20, 05:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Assuming you adjust the brake pads to an identical distance from the brake tracks in both instances, you should have nominally 2mm more room. If you need more clearance to remove your tires you could do your initial adjustment with the brake barrel adjusters almost all of the way out, and run them in to open the brakes further, or add an inline brake adjuster and use both the adjuster and quick release when you need to remove/install a wheel: https://neweracycle.com/shimano-sm-c...able-adjuster/
Thank you! Though I assume there's some sort of maximum capacity (width) of course and can't stay a relative relationship indefinitely?
Old 08-01-20, 05:12 PM
dsbrantjr

Your brakes will hit some kind of internal stop eventually. Release the wire and you will see the limit.
Old 08-01-20, 06:33 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts

Yes, although you could just adjust your brakes instead of buying new wheels.

I avoid problems by setting clearance with the releases open so a fully inflated tire just fits with a little encouragement.

With 2010 Ultrashift levers and 2006 non-skeleton differential brakes my levers are still far enough from the bar they can't bottom with 25mm GP4000s on traditional 21mm (external) wide rims.

I did the same with 27mm Vitoria Mastercross tires for winter riding when I ran 1996 8 speed pointy hood levers.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 08-01-20 at 06:36 PM.