Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Argentinian Framesbuilders

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 03:02 PM
Petit Breton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 8 Posts

Hello everyone, I wanted to show some of the Argentine painting artisans and, incidentally, show some restorations. hope you like.

possibly MARTINEZ frame 50s The rear dropout and the seatstay that were totally destroyed were restored, the restoration was done by a local framebuilder who has already passed away, Don Hector LUQUE

Roselli road frame

Passero road frame

Hispano France road frame

Enrique Ali track frame

Roselli track frame

Felipe Privitera track frame
Likes For Petit Breton:
Old 08-07-20, 03:28 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26400 Post(s)
Liked 10,373 Times in 7,202 Posts
...thanks. Very interesting...I love stuff like this.
Old 08-07-20, 03:59 PM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
I subscribed to this thread. I'm looking forward to seeing what else you will post here.

I picked up a nearly complete Roger Saavedra bike a few years back that I still need to rebuild. The frame is lovely. And the parts are almost all industria Argentina except for the hubs which are Pelissier. The parts are campy knock offs. I'm guessing that the bike was manufactured back when Argentina had high tariff barriers and tried to build up the local industrial base. And there are a few articles on Remigio Saavedra like this one:

https://www.losandes.com.ar/article/...a-del-ciclista

Last edited by bikemig; 08-07-20 at 04:08 PM.
Likes For bikemig:
Old 08-07-20, 05:10 PM
Petit Breton

Hi, here in Argentina SAAVEDRA were a family of cyclists from the 30s, it was many brothers and REMIGIO SAAVEDRA came to be considered one of the great cyclists of Argentina, a legend for our country. Now, the saavedra brand came to have a complete group of routes and many components /STEM SEATPOST HUBS CRANKSET DERAILLEUR RIMS ETC. The issue is that they weren't nationally manufactured. THE PARTS WERE ORDERED TO RINO IN ITALY. But there were other brands that did make the pieces here like GIORGIA in the city of ROSARIO. and SAVORETTI also from the city of ROSARIO. I SEND YOU PHOTOS OF SOME savoretti things. The CRANKSET that you show are a real curiosity since they are from the first times of saavedra. The GAMBATO changes were also built here and GIANT ROBER under license was made in ARGENTINA.

Likes For Petit Breton:
Old 08-07-20, 05:58 PM
bikemig 

That’s very cool that some of these parts were manufactured in Rosario. I didn’t know about the connection with Rino. Im not surprised with the connection to Italian manufacturing given the strong ties between Argentina and Italy.
Old 08-07-20, 06:26 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1442 Post(s)
Liked 1,059 Times in 784 Posts
It's a FUN history lesson, please keep adding to this when you have more and thanks, Petit Breton !
Old 08-07-20, 07:30 PM
sced
South Carolina Ed

Bikes: Holdsworth custom, Macario Pro, Ciocc San Cristobal, Viner Nemo, Cyfac Le Mythique, Giant TCR, Tommasso Mondial, Cyfac Etoile

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 138 Posts
Cool stuff!!!
Old 08-08-20, 05:23 AM
KenNC

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked 114 Times in 63 Posts
Very nice and very interesting, thanks!
Old 08-08-20, 05:47 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4231 Post(s)
Liked 2,947 Times in 1,806 Posts
Sweet,
Old 08-08-20, 06:19 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by Petit Breton
Now, the saavedra brand came to have a complete group of routes and many components /STEM SEATPOST HUBS CRANKSET DERAILLEUR RIMS ETC. The issue is that they weren't nationally manufactured. THE PARTS WERE ORDERED TO RINO IN ITALY.
I wasn't aware of the Rino connection. I believe Mike Fraysse (Paris Sport) had a strong connection to Saavedra. I have a set of (Campy compatible) brake pads I got from Mike which I recently used to replace some squealing Kool-Stop salmons. According to eBay he's down to his last set:

Vintage Campagnolo Style Record, Super Record Brake Pads, By Saavedra. NOS

I also see a set of NOS Saavedra tubular rims on eBay right now.
Old 08-08-20, 07:58 AM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
Has the single speed thing fully engulfed Argentina then also? Don't get me wrong, I've had 4 of them over the years. For beautiful old bikes, I like gears, it makes getting further from home easier.

Was the green bike pictured converted to horizontal dropouts during the rear triangle repair you mentioned?
Old 08-08-20, 08:15 AM
bikemig 

Originally Posted by smontanaro
I wasn't aware of the Rino connection. I believe Mike Fraysse (Paris Sport) had a strong connection to Saavedra. I have a set of (Campy compatible) brake pads I got from Mike which I recently used to replace some squealing Kool-Stop salmons. According to eBay he's down to his last set:

Did Mike Fraysse own Paris Sport? That was located in New Jersey, right? The NE connection to Saavedra makes sense. I picked up my Roger competition (designed by Saavedra) locally in Des Moines but the seller picked up the bike in the greater New York city area.
Old 08-08-20, 08:25 AM
smontanaro 

Bikes: many

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 1,390 Times in 759 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
Did Mike Fraysse own Paris Sport? That was located in New Jersey, right?
Yes, somewhere out east. I always pictured Long Island, but maybe up the Hudson. I believe Mike is retired in Glen Spey, NY.
Old 08-08-20, 09:09 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,580 Times in 1,221 Posts
Hi, here in Argentina SAAVEDRA were a family of cyclists from the 30s, it was many brothers and REMIGIO SAAVEDRA came to be considered one of the great cyclists of Argentina, a legend for our country. Now, the saavedra brand came to have a complete group of routes and many components /STEM SEATPOST HUBS CRANKSET DERAILLEUR RIMS ETC. The issue is that they weren't nationally manufactured. THE PARTS WERE ORDERED TO RINO IN ITALY. But there were other brands that did make the pieces here like GIORGIA in the city of ROSARIO. and SAVORETTI also from the city of ROSARIO. I SEND YOU PHOTOS OF SOME savoretti things. The CRANKSET that you show are a real curiosity since they are from the first times of saavedra. The GAMBATO changes were also built here and GIANT ROBER under license was made in ARGENTINA.

A friend brought back a repainted frame from Argentina that had that design cutout on the lugs. Did they make any frames?
Old 08-08-20, 05:05 PM
Petit Breton

Originally Posted by curbtender
A friend brought back a repainted frame from Argentina that had that design cutout on the lugs. Did they make any frames?
savoretti made stem bike components and seatpost and bicycle tools. maybe it did lugs and dropouts but I don't know. I send you photos of the bicycle tools. he also made some excellent quality inflators

Likes For Petit Breton:
Old 08-08-20, 05:39 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 279 Post(s)
Quoted: 2196 Post(s)
Liked 4,595 Times in 1,764 Posts
Excellent thread. Thank you, Petit Breton!

Old 08-08-20, 05:48 PM
Petit Breton

Originally Posted by smontanaro

the information about SAAVEDRA derailleur made in italy by rino they are still on the DISRAELI GEARS

bad image sorry.

Old 08-08-20, 05:57 PM
Petit Breton

Originally Posted by rosefarts
Has the single speed thing fully engulfed Argentina then also? Don't get me wrong, I've had 4 of them over the years. For beautiful old bikes, I like gears, it makes getting further from home easier.

Was the green bike pictured converted to horizontal dropouts during the rear triangle repair you mentioned?
Here in Argentina single speed and fixie gear also became fashionable. I celebrate that people change the car for the bicycle, although not everyone understands about the quality, the history, and the care of a handcrafted bicycle frame that was made 30 or more years ago. Regarding the green bike you mention it was a track frame but with the rear dropouts stripped (or damage) and they were replaced by a new campagnolo. and the seat stay tubes were also replaced.
I hope you understand what I want to describe since I do not know if the translator is faithful to the idea I want to convey. Thank you
Old 08-08-20, 06:23 PM
rosefarts
With a mighty wind

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1086 Post(s)
Liked 859 Times in 488 Posts
I hope you understand what I want to describe since I do not know if the translator is faithful to the idea I want to convey. Thank you
One of my exes is Argentinian, I understand you quite well!