Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Pedal recommendations for the track??

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-10, 03:48 PM
lazerwolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pedal recommendations for the track??

Starting to ride at the velodrome and looking to get into an appropriate set of clipless pedals. They will obviously need to be suitable for sprinting, any recommendations? What does everyone ride?
Old 04-30-10, 09:45 PM
RonnieDood

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shimano spd-sl
Old 04-30-10, 11:29 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by RonnieDood
shimano spd-sl
I agree.

Based on what I've noticed, Shimano SPD-SL (Dura Ace, Ultegra, 105, etc...) is the most popular. Then come Speedplay and Look which are about equally as popular.

Speedplay is very popular on the road riding scene. I would assume that those guys use the same on their track bikes.
Old 05-01-10, 01:31 PM
ZeroG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Shimano DuraAce SPD-R (PD-7700 or PD-7701). They are difficult to find but it is more difficult to find shoes with this older 2 hole pattern but easy enough to modify existing Look 3 hole pattern drilled shoes. Similar concept to Shimano SPD mountain pedals however with a much larger metal cleat and contact area. Use the SM-SH90 0-degree float / fixed cleat and crank the tension down. If you can get your hands on them and like the feel, they make for an amazing track pedal.
Old 05-02-10, 08:42 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Alright, I'll put one in for the old school: DA 7400's. I first rode the track on SPD-SL's, and they were just fine. But when I tried the 7400's, I liked 'em better right away. There's just something about having a big, laminated leather strap holding you foot to the pedal-- maybe it's psychological, but it just feels more connected.
Old 05-02-10, 10:42 AM
milkcratebasket
poppawheelie

Bikes: Panasonic, Super Cycle

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Alright, I'll put one in for the old school: DA 7400's. I first rode the track on SPD-SL's, and they were just fine. But when I tried the 7400's, I liked 'em better right away. There's just something about having a big, laminated leather strap holding you foot to the pedal-- maybe it's psychological, but it just feels more connected.
I use these but with all the clipless praise I have been considering tying them.
Old 05-02-10, 04:33 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Straps eliminate the shoe's upper from flexing/stretching on the upstroke. Some shoes stretch significantly more than others.

I use SPD-SL with double straps. SPD-SL for the wide foot platform. Straps to eliminate flex and for added security (and peace of mind).

Old-school slotted cleats would work just as well, but SPD-SL is more convenient, has more shoe options, and are more secure than straps alone. You can still pull out using slotted cleats if your straps aren't super tight. Ask Shane Kelly who was a favorite in the Kilo at the 96 Olympics and famously pulled out of his pedals on the start.

SPD-SL + double straps is overkill...but I dig it.