Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Thinking of getting a power meter

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11, 08:44 AM
gundogblue

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well with the weather getting better all the time Im back on my bike and off the trainer.
This will be my second season ridding, and I've been thinking of getting a power meter, they're pretty expensive, but I've been looking at the ibike pro, have any of you had any experiance with this power meter, if so I'd really like your input on it. Last yr I rode useing my cycle computer with cadence, it served me well, but Im woundering how much better a power meter will serve me. I started ridding to loose weight and accomplished that goal to the tune of 128lbs, now I ride because I LOVE it, any advise will, as always, be greatly appriciated.
Paul
Old 05-26-11, 08:58 AM
Crash716
i got nothing.

Bikes: 13 BH G6 with SRAM Red

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You can buy my set...for sale..below...
Old 05-26-11, 09:06 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Bikes: Lynskey R230/Red, Blue Triad SL/Red, Cannondale Scalpel 3/X9

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by gundogblue
Well with the weather getting better all the time Im back on my bike and off the trainer.
This will be my second season ridding, and I've been thinking of getting a power meter, they're pretty expensive, but I've been looking at the ibike pro, have any of you had any experiance with this power meter, if so I'd really like your input on it. Last yr I rode useing my cycle computer with cadence, it served me well, but Im woundering how much better a power meter will serve me. I started ridding to loose weight and accomplished that goal to the tune of 128lbs, now I ride because I LOVE it, any advise will, as always, be greatly appriciated.
Paul
The iBike is OK, if you're willing to do all the calibration stuff, and it can be finicky to set up. If you have only one set of wheels, Powertaps can be had for cheap. If you like to use more than one wheelset, Quarq usually wins. If you have money burning a hole in your pocket, go SRM. It's still the gold standard.

First and foremost, get Allen and Coggan's "Training and racing with a power meter." Read through it, and remember that a power meter is only as good as the geek crunching the numbers. Will that be you? a coach? If you don't have yourself or a coach to crunch the numbers, build the training, etc. then a PM might not be the most useful thing for you.

When used properly they're the single best training tool you can own. If not used properly, i.e. as part of a structured, power-based training program, it's a fancy bike computer that makes some graphs and adds weight to your bike.

Last edited by DrPete; 05-27-11 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-26-11, 09:26 AM
Hunt-man
Tete de Couch

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Power meters are best for people that have coaches and are training hard. I bought one and it is just an expensive toy. I still like the data but I don't plan my training specifically enough to make it worth the K I spent. If you are just having fun riding cadence is about all you need. $.02
Old 05-26-11, 09:31 AM
GirlAnachronism
Bulldozer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pete's advice is good, just do it in the reverse order. Read the book. If you're bored to tears and can't get through it then you're only out $20. If you can't wait to play with all your new data then go nuts.
Old 05-26-11, 10:20 AM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by GirlAnachronism
Pete's advice is good, just do it in the reverse order. Read the book. If you're bored to tears and can't get through it then you're only out $20. If you can't wait to play with all your new data then go nuts.
That was what I meant in my very poorly written post.
Old 05-26-11, 11:35 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
the most often underappreciated aspect of training with power is the ability to quantify how much stress you are putting on your body and how you manage it over a course of an entire year. If you don't like dealing with burning out in July, a powermeter is great.

Also, if you are time constrained but want to remain competitive (be it a hammer ride or a race), a powermeter allows you to squeeze the most out of your time.
Old 05-26-11, 11:52 AM
pjcampbell
fair weather cyclist

Bikes: Colnago c50

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts
A year ago I looked and saw many sets of older wireless PowerTAp 2.4's sell for $700 for front and rear wheels, including computer. I don't see as much stock on eBay right now but that is what I'd go for.
Old 05-26-11, 11:57 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by pjcampbell
A year ago I looked and saw many sets of older wireless PowerTAp 2.4's sell for $700 for front and rear wheels, including computer. I don't see as much stock on eBay right now but that is what I'd go for.
Powertap Comp new $699, complete wheel. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...905.351.0.html
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-26-11, 11:57 AM
kleinboogie

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A power meter is like counting calories, it keeps you honest and removes the guessing. It's a great way to take your training to another level especially if you ride alone. I have two and highly recommend them. GL
Old 05-26-11, 12:01 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by DrPete
That was what I meant in my very poorly written post.
Pshaw. I thought your paper was very well written, Peter. And your advice was the dogs bollocks.

I read the book before getting my SRM, but different strokes.
I don't even race, but the power meter with the Hunter/Allen book has doubled my pleasure, doubled my fun.
The greatest 'AHA!' moment happened when I learned during intervals that backing off just a fraction and focusing instead on perfect, fluid circles caused my watts to go well beyond the wattage I'd been struggling with! With less effort! It was crazy and I didn't sleep for three days after that moment.

Last edited by calamarichris; 05-26-11 at 12:04 PM.
Old 05-26-11, 12:13 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I basically use my powermeter to see the squiggly line charts after rides.

It does allow me to track relative fitness, relative ride difficulty, and it gives a solid number to efforts (i.e. I exploded after 15 minutes at 165 bpm and averaged 205 watts during that time, which is really what happened on my Monday ride).

I don't use the powermeter much for training. It's more like a second-by-second diary of my ride (I also use a helmet cam to record the visuals, but that has a more morbid reason - it's a record of what happened in case I can't tell the story, or if I need to corroborate a statement). Yes I race but no, training I don't really focus on it. I generally race for my harder training rides, and my "training rides" are usually more like "just riding around" rides, whatever my mood/spirit for the day.

I forgot to say that there are a lot reasons for having a power meter. You don't have to use it methodically etc, you can have it because you want it.

If you are a tinkerer or techie type person then you should get a crank based PM - you'll appreciate it when you use different wheelsets. If you'll stick to just one or two wheelsets then a powertap works great. I'd stick with tried-and-true powermeters - it's extremely frustrating dealing with inconsistent or unreliable powermeters.

If you were my friend, I'd recommend either a reasonably new Powertap (not first gen), SRM, or Quarg, and that's it.

Last edited by carpediemracing; 05-26-11 at 12:36 PM. Reason: forgot about pm recommendations
Old 05-26-11, 12:18 PM
bikepro

Bikes: Look 585

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by merlinextraligh
Powertap Comp new $699, complete wheel. https://www.competitivecyclist.com/pr...905.351.0.html
I bought this about a month ago. It's the wired version, but for the money you can't go wrong. There's a single wire that runs from the "sharkfin" on the chainstay to the computer. Mine runs up the bottom of the down tube and is barely noticable. You are limited to the standard yellow CycleOps wired computer. So if you want to integrate with a Garmin or some such, you have to go wireless.

I started out with a Polar system that I bought used. Let me know if you're interested -- I'll let it go real cheap. The Polar power meter is a pain to install and setup, but works reasonably well.
Old 05-26-11, 12:22 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I like my Quarq. It keeps me honest: when it's time to go hard, I go hard; when it's time to go easy, I go easy. I spend a lot less time riding not quite hard enough to stress my system or not quite easy enough to recover.
Old 05-26-11, 12:37 PM
guadzilla
Pointy Helmet Tribe

Bikes: R5, Allez Sprint, Shiv

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 519 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 295 Posts
The one other benefit of a PM is that if you only have a limited amount of time to train, it really helps you get the most out of your training time.
Old 05-26-11, 12:49 PM
pjcampbell
fair weather cyclist

Originally Posted by calamarichris
Pshaw. I thought your paper was very well written, Peter. And your advice was the dogs bollocks.

I read the book before getting my SRM, but different strokes.
I don't even race, but the power meter with the Hunter/Allen book has doubled my pleasure, doubled my fun.
The greatest 'AHA!' moment happened when I learned during intervals that backing off just a fraction and focusing instead on perfect, fluid circles caused my watts to go well beyond the wattage I'd been struggling with! With less effort! It was crazy and I didn't sleep for three days after that moment.
that is amazing
i have had similar results. my focus is more on breathing
Old 05-26-11, 12:50 PM
pjcampbell
fair weather cyclist

Originally Posted by bikepro
I bought this about a month ago. It's the wired version, but for the money you can't go wrong. There's a single wire that runs from the "sharkfin" on the chainstay to the computer. Mine runs up the bottom of the down tube and is barely noticable. You are limited to the standard yellow CycleOps wired computer. So if you want to integrate with a Garmin or some such, you have to go wireless.

I started out with a Polar system that I bought used. Let me know if you're interested -- I'll let it go real cheap. The Polar power meter is a pain to install and setup, but works reasonably well.
good deal, i just would rather have lighter (by 200 grams I think?) and wireless for roughly the same price. I am not a fan of wires.
Old 05-26-11, 01:07 PM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1447 Post(s)
Liked 727 Times in 372 Posts
good deal, i just would rather have lighter (by 200 grams I think?) and wireless for roughly the same price. I am not a fan of wires.
It's a slippery slope, as you start moving to more expensive PT's, the Quarq starts looking better and better.
OR YOU COULD STAY HOME AND FALL OFF THE COUCH AND DIE.
Old 05-26-11, 02:21 PM
bostongarden
meow

Bikes: 2016 Parlee Altum, 2013 Cannondale Super Six Evo Hi Mod Di2 only, 2011 Cannondale Super Six, Dura Ace 7800, 2007 Cannondale System Six Dura Ace 7800, 1992 Bridgestone RB-1, MB-2, MB-3, MB-5

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
You can often find used wired SRM (PC V) for $1000 or less on eBay.
Old 05-26-11, 02:24 PM
DrPete 
Dirt-riding heretic

Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by caloso
I like my Quarq. It keeps me honest: when it's time to go hard, I go hard; when it's time to go easy, I go easy. I spend a lot less time riding not quite hard enough to stress my system or not quite easy enough to recover.
This is very true. Not to mention the incredible value it has as a TT pacing tool. Still, though, to know the magic numbers and what the heck to do with them does take a certain amount of geeking out and number-crunching. Of all things cycling-related, a power meter is definitely one where realistic expectations are key.
Old 05-26-11, 02:59 PM
calamarichris
Banned.

Bikes: '09 Felt F55, '84 Masi Cran Criterium, (2)'86 Schwinn Pelotons, '86 Look Equippe Hinault, '09 Globe Live 3 (dogtaxi), '94 Greg Lemond, '99 GT Pulse Kinesis

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 153 Posts
that is amazing
i have had similar results. my focus is more on breathing
+1 I didn't want to blather on forever, but the breathing was another breakthrough made possible by the meter.
I started doing yoga after my two back surgeries, (and yoga is really big on deep, relaxed, focused breathing) and I noticed when I employed that deep, yoga breathing while riding, I was able to sustain the same output at a lower HR.
For years, I just let the body take care of its own breathing, but I'm convinced now that making a conscious effort at keeping your trunk relaxed and breathing deeply has a terrific benefit. And it's tricky because it is possible to concentrate on breathing too much and clench up, but the watts/hr ratio is a good indicator when you're doing something wrong like this.
I'm still working on staying relaxed during events and in when putting on the hurt. It takes a lot of focus to NOT let your trunk clench up in those situations.
I don't even race, but the challenge is pretty exhilarating sometimes.
Old 05-27-11, 07:00 AM
gundogblue

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you all for the info, I think Im gonna go with the ibike power meter just because it will be my first power meter, if I like it I plan on upgrading it when I upgrade my bike next season. I'll let you all know how the ibike meter works out.
Paul
Old 05-27-11, 08:04 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1173 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by gundogblue
Thank you all for the info, I think Im gonna go with the ibike power meter just because it will be my first power meter, if I like it I plan on upgrading it when I upgrade my bike next season. I'll let you all know how the ibike meter works out.
Paul
How much $ ?
Why not just get a real PM to start with and forget the pretend power meter ? A used PowerTap for $500 worked out quite well for me. Don't forget, that is a fully built wheel, not just a computer, and will hold decent resale value if you change your mind.
Another advantage of a real PM is you can use it on the trainer in the winter or bad weather and get some solid interval numbers.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html

Last edited by Homebrew01; 05-27-11 at 08:07 AM.
Old 05-27-11, 09:32 AM
echappist
fuggitivo solitario

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 243 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Homebrew01
How much $ ?
Why not just get a real PM to start with and forget the pretend power meter ? A used PowerTap for $500 worked out quite well for me. Don't forget, that is a fully built wheel, not just a computer, and will hold decent resale value if you change your mind.
Another advantage of a real PM is you can use it on the trainer in the winter or bad weather and get some solid interval numbers.
+1

ibike, especially one that's not calibrated against anything else, is no better than an HRM. In many ways, i'd argue it's worse as you can't even download data in some of the cheapest versions available, which makes it no better than a $60 Timex watch you can buy on Amazon.
Old 05-27-11, 09:44 AM
Grumpy McTrumpy
gmt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bostongarden
You can often find used wired SRM (PC V) for $1000 or less on eBay.
I bought two of them this way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.