Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

stupid snow today left me hangin'

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-09, 06:18 PM
gremlin76

Bikes: recumbent, mtb, commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I get out of work at 2:30, and at 2:00, I noticed that we were getting our first snowfall of the winter. So I rushed home, changed, grabbed the bike out of the garage- and then it stopped snowing.

Damn it all! I really wanted to ride through the first snowflakes! Oh well, at least I still got a ride in today.

It's weird this year here in Vermont. The ski places usually open by Thanksgiving, but this year has been too warm to make snow, and nothing natural has fallen. I rode on Sunday and it was about 50 degrees out. I'm not complaining, it just would have been cool to ride during the first snow, however little it was.
Old 12-01-09, 07:19 PM
ohio

Location: Steubenville, OH. And i practically live in Pittsburgh half the time..

Bikes: Gary Fisher Piranha, Cannondale H300, Old Schwin.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Haha sorry to hear about that.

We've been having the same problem here in Steubenville, OH. I saw a few flakes last night but so far it has been pretty warm out during the days.
I have yet to test out my new bike in the snow too!
Old 12-04-09, 02:06 PM
Da Tinker
Can't ride enough!

Bikes: IFab Crown Jewel, Giant Defy, Hardtail MTB, Fuji finest, Bianchi FG conversion

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ohio
Haha sorry to hear about that.

We've been having the same problem here in Steubenville, OH. I saw a few flakes last night but so far it has been pretty warm out during the days.
I have yet to test out my new bike in the snow too!
And yet down here on the Gulf of Mexico, it is quite cold & we are expecting 'unseasonable snow'. Unseasonable? Heck, it only snows about once every 10 years here!
Old 12-07-09, 02:57 PM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Da Tinker
And yet down here on the Gulf of Mexico, it is quite cold & we are expecting 'unseasonable snow'. Unseasonable? Heck, it only snows about once every 10 years here!
Once every 10 years********** Even down here in the South of the UK we get it about every 5. Last year we had 2" of snow and the whole of England came to a standstill for a couple of days. Not like when i was young. I was a snow and Ice Instructor in the Marines and spent most of my service life in the Arctic Circle where the snow was all year round. Didn't think I would ever want to see another snowflake in my life- but in 2005- it snowed at the weekend and out came the MTB and I was up on those hills freezing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
snow4.JPG (18.4 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg
snow5.JPG (22.0 KB, 6 views)

Spike Milligan
Old 12-07-09, 07:42 PM
tatfiend 
Gear Hub fan

Bikes: Civia Hyland Rohloff, Swobo Dixon, Colnago, Univega

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Downtown Reno had 8" to a foot last night and today. Schools and the local colleges closed and still no signs of the plow on my residential street. Supposed to have had a couple of feet up in the Sierras at the ski resorts and around Lake Tahoe per the weather broadcast.
Gear Hubs Owned: Rohloff disc brake, SRAM iM9 disc brake, SRAM P5 freewheel, Sachs Torpedo 3 speed freewheel, NuVinci CVT, Shimano Alfine SG S-501, Sturmey Archer S5-2 Alloy. Other: 83 Colnago Super Record, Univega Via De Oro

Visit and join the Yahoo Geared Hub Bikes group for support and links.
https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Geared_hub_bikes/
Old 12-08-09, 09:41 PM
xtrajack
xtrajack

Bikes: Kona fire mountain/xtracycle,Univega landrover fs,Nishiki custom sport Ross professional super gran tour Schwinn Mesa (future Xtracycle donor bike)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We are supposed to get our first serious snow tonight, around 8-12 inches.