Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Do you care if a guy is riding a bike without a shirt on?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!
View Poll Results: Do you care if a guy rides topless?
No
61.54%
I don't care if they are in shape, I do mind if they aren't
3.30%
I don't care if they pass by, I do care in a group ride
10.99%
Yes, it bothers me
17.58%
Other (Explain in post)
6.59%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Do you care if a guy is riding a bike without a shirt on?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 04:28 PM
SlowAndSlower

Bikes: 2010 Scattante CFR, Soma Stanyan, Bruce Gordon R&R

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
I think it is a little foolish. Unless you're planning to slather yourself in sunscreen or only ride early in the morning or late in the afternoon ... or limit yourself to really short rides ... you risk a bad sunburn and increase your chances of skin cancer...
So true. It takes about 20-25 years for the effects to be really noticed. Twice a year, for several years now, I have had bits and pieces of my face and arms nicked off because of sun damage. Now the skin on my arms is so damaged that a mere bump causes a bruise or tearing of the skin. So at 77 I can attest to what Machla is saying.
Old 02-16-15, 04:30 PM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
FB, I never said it bothered me - just my opinion about their choice.

That was the original question, I thought.
Old 02-16-15, 05:03 PM
Buffalo Buff

Bikes: 2015 synapse

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Yes, it can be. But I don't see other people being crass as my problem. It's theirs, and if they want to be crass, I can easily find other directions to look.

Give me a shirtless rider over someone with a boombox any day of the week.
How about someone who rides shirtless with a bluetooth speaker?

Either way I like your attitude. Don't like what you see? Look somewhere else. If we aren't sitting in an office together for 8 hours a day who cares.
Old 02-16-15, 05:09 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5884 Post(s)
Liked 2,725 Times in 1,520 Posts
Originally Posted by Wanderer
FB, I never said it bothered me - just my opinion about their choice.

That was the original question, I thought.
I agreed that it was crass, for whatever that was worth, and didn't imply that it bothered you or anybody else, just that it didn't bother me. But since you referenced the original question, it wasn't whether it was cool or not, but about whether you cared or not.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-16-15, 05:13 PM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,489 Times in 1,286 Posts
If you have a good looking fit body then riding shirtless in not all that bad... Nothing looks worse then some skinny anorexic twink wearing tri bibs in public.
Old 02-16-15, 05:25 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Bikes: '97 Klein Quantum '16 Gravity Knockout

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
So if someone has an ugly face should they hide that too?
Ah, but the beauty of it is: the face is a relatively small area from a distance. If the rest of their ugliness is covered up, it's easy to look elsewhere and not have to look at the face. If 9/10ths of their body is exposed, you can be forced to look at it till it vanishes over the horizon- and never get rid the latent images which were burned into your eyes, no matter how much bleach you use.

Originally Posted by Buffalo Buff
Also, offtopic but..."#1: No matter how long you ride into that unrelenting headwind it will shift 180 degrees at the exact same time you turn around."

Ain't that the truth. Happened to me last commute. Fighting a tough headwind, take a 90 degree turn left. Fighting a tough headwind, take a 90 degree turn right. Fighting a tough headwind, take another 90 degree turn right. Fighting a tough headwind...what the **** is this ****?
Haha! That's pretty much 90% of my rides! UI fail to undestand how the wind can be coming from all directions at once....and yet never from the back!
Old 02-16-15, 05:47 PM
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Quoted: 12871 Post(s)
Liked 7,795 Times in 4,135 Posts
Short shorts, no shirt and clogs 24/7. IDGAF

Old 02-17-15, 01:07 AM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Yan
I have no desire to be looking at another man's armpit hair while in a peloton.
If that's where you're looking in a paceline I have no desire to be near you.
Old 02-17-15, 07:02 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2023 Post(s)
Liked 673 Times in 460 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlyAlfaRomeo
If that's where you're looking in a paceline I have no desire to be near you.
Furthermore, without a shirt in a peloton, I'd be looking at the rider's back and ass hair. These would be right in my face. Who'd want that?
Old 02-17-15, 07:57 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Seńor Member

Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 293 Times in 216 Posts
Originally Posted by Yan
Furthermore, without a shirt in a peloton, I'd be looking at the rider's back and ass hair. These would be right in my face. Who'd want that?
Sounds like a good psych-out strategy. Nobody will complain that you suck their wheel all day if they can't bear to ride behind you.
Old 02-17-15, 09:42 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
I agreed that it was crass, for whatever that was worth, and didn't imply that it bothered you or anybody else, just that it didn't bother me. But since you referenced the original question, it wasn't whether it was cool or not, but about whether you cared or not.
I suppose I would have to say I do care. I care that it would offend others, like women and children, especially. All fellow users of the same roads/trails I use.

At the local VFW it never bothers me at the language that is sometimes used there, up until a woman or child is present. At that point, I do step in. (Yeah, I do remember what it was like in a combat zone, where it is pretty universally accepted.)

To me, it fits in the same groove........... it's just crass! MHO

p.s. why should it bother anyone if a twink, fatty, smelly, or Russian bear is shirtless, if others are accepted - some are hanging onto a double standard.

Last edited by Wanderer; 02-17-15 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-17-15, 10:45 AM
BikeSpds

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I can't believe the negativity here. I thought cycling was about the freedom, the fun, the psychological lift achieved during a ride. One Danish writer even said that the cyclist may reach eudaimonia. Not if he came here first! I think it's time to sign off this forum for good; and when the weather permits, I'll be back on my bike riding joyfully in a t-shirt (yes, I do wear a shirt), and a Speedo (which I'm sure to you people is much more heinous than simply being shirtless. But that feeling is what makes me want to get on a bike.
Old 02-17-15, 10:54 AM
CharlyAlfaRomeo

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You and your 20 posts in 6 years will be greatly missed!!!
Old 02-17-15, 11:42 AM
Farmer Dave

Bikes: 2010 Globe Vienna Disc 3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Gosh, maybe I'm that guy… I'm 21, it is hot out, I take off my shirt. End of story. Anyone who's got a problem with that can SMD.
Old 02-17-15, 11:57 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 399 Times in 226 Posts
MBS!! Just sayin'...

Actually, in FL the dress code bar is pretty low already so who really cares.
Old 02-17-15, 12:08 PM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I used to run and ride shirtless when I was younger. Was mainly out alone in quiet country roads. Enjoyed it that way.
As I go older and started to realize the skin cancer risk I started to cover up. Now I'll wear a shirt whenever I ride and
add sunscreen if I'll be out over an hour.

So to answer the question, I don't mind that you are riding shirtless and exposing skin. Understand the feeling.
I do wonder what long term effects you are inducing. Hopefully none.

BTW, a very small percentage of us(men & woment) look "good" shirtless. I'm not one of them.
Old 02-17-15, 03:35 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
It bothers me for a couple of reasons, but the most significant one is that a woman would not be able to do the same thing without being harassed (legally, or by testosterone driven idiots) in most cases.

A minor point is that I think a sense of modesty/decorum is missing from so much in life in general. I don't leave the house without a shirt. For full disclosure, I am fat, but I felt the same way when I weighed half of what I do now, and was 1/3 the age. Although I did make exceptions a few times if no ladies were around. I have never even felt too comfortable swimming topless.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 02-17-15, 07:11 PM
Gothic Sunshine

Bikes: 1987 Specialized Hard Rock

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in California, and good airflow is a must on a hot day. Nothing provides better airflow and more efficient heat dissipation than bare skin. Also far cheaper to ride shirtless than buy specialized bicycle clothing. I don't begrudge guys who leave skin bare for that reason, and I wish there was a practical way for us gals to do it without getting in trouble.
Old 02-17-15, 08:18 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,343 Times in 627 Posts
As long as he's not riding my bike I don't care.
Old 02-17-15, 08:22 PM
RoadTire 

Bikes: '09 Trek 2.1 * '75 Sekine * 2010 Raleigh Talus 8.0 * '90 Giant Mtb * Raleigh M20 * Fuji Nevada mtb

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Actually, I do care if he​ is wearing a bib jersey / no shirt ... that would look sooooo awful.
FB4K - Every October we wrench on donated bikes. Every December, a few thousand kids get bikes for Christmas. For many, it is their first bike, ever. Every bike, new and used, was donated, built, cleaned and repaired. Check us out on FaceBook: FB4K.

Disclaimer: 99% of what I know about cycling I learned on BF. That would make, ummm, 1% experience. And a lot of posts.
Old 02-17-15, 08:26 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Originally Posted by Gothic Sunshine
I live in California, and good airflow is a must on a hot day. Nothing provides better airflow and more efficient heat dissipation than bare skin. Also far cheaper to ride shirtless than buy specialized bicycle clothing. I don't begrudge guys who leave skin bare for that reason, and I wish there was a practical way for us gals to do it without getting in trouble.
Here's where things can get interesting. I wonder how many people that would object to a topless man, would likewise object to a woman wearing a skimpy bikini top.

So while it's not practical for a woman to go topless, she can get very close with little stigma.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-17-15, 08:36 PM
jon c. 

Quoted: 1593 Post(s)
Liked 1,026 Times in 576 Posts
Originally Posted by BikeSpds
I can't believe the negativity here. I thought cycling was about the freedom, the fun, the psychological lift achieved during a ride.
Cyclists are no different from everyone else. A lot of folks are big on the notion of freedom and bridle at any restrictions on their own, but when it comes to others it's never hard to find a justification as to why they really shouldn't have the freedom to do as they please. The 'harm' that comes from the exercise of freedom to which they object often consists of little more than an offense to a sense of propriety.
Old 02-17-15, 10:13 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Freedom to do something is one thing. I don't think anyone here is advocating laws against shirtlessness; least of all, libertarians like myself. But there is a goode reason WHY we have lost so many of the freedoms we once had, and that is often because of people's inability to behave responsibly and appropriately. I would love to live in a truly libertarian society; but one in which people exercised self-restraint and consideration- for only a society masde up of people who practice such ideals could ever be free; and not one in which people just desire "freedom" to deo whatever they want, with the attitude of "Screw what everyone else thinks"[when you are in public]
Old 02-17-15, 10:25 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by Stucky
Freedom to do something is one thing. I don't think anyone here is advocating laws against shirtlessness; ....]
It's bike riding without a shirt. Not exactly something warranting a soul search about freedom and responsibility.

If it bothers you, you're far too sensitive. OTOH if you ride shirtless and someone says something, take it graciously and move away without making something more out of it.

Old 02-17-15, 10:50 PM
Stucky
Old Fart

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It's bike riding without a shirt. Not exactly something warranting a soul search about freedom and responsibility.

If it bothers you, you're far too sensitive. OTOH if you ride shirtless and someone says something, take it graciously and move away without making something more out of it.
How would you feel about it, if instead of having to see hairy backs and man-boobs on riders, you had to look at schlongs hanging out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.