Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Chamois advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-18, 12:43 PM
cvictorh

Bikes: 2014 Masi CX Cross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chamois advice

I am looking for some new gear both shorts and pants and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for quality brands on the cheaper side. I want quality stuff but I was wondering if there were some brands that were more modestly priced just because they lack the name recognition of the bigger brands.
Old 04-14-18, 01:33 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
don't know about your budget but my go to brands for bibs are either PI or Specialized brand. I really like them both. I couldn't wear the nashbar brand at all, I thought it was terrible.
Old 04-17-18, 09:48 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
Zoic MTB shorts or Novara Headwind pants over thin lined Zoot 9" Trishorts. both in XXL for my 38" waist

the good stuff is worth the $$
Old 04-17-18, 11:51 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Chamois is a sub species of Alpine Goat.. now there are fast drying synthetics which resemble the sheepskin leather, used decades ago.
Old 04-17-18, 12:00 PM
mercator
In the wind

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced Team, Lemond Buenos Aires, Giant TCX, Miyata 1000LT

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 120 Times in 54 Posts
In the past I have purchased shorts from Probikekit and Merlin that were very good quality for a decent price. From the looks of it, they were contracting Nalini to sew up some standard designs using decent quality materials (including Elastic Interface pads).

I don't see much on their sites right now, however, but it is worth it to subscribe to their email list as they often have some good deals.
Old 04-17-18, 12:45 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

anyone ever own an EMS or LL Bean Chamois Flannel Shirt from the '70s? they were great!
Old 04-17-18, 12:51 PM
John_V 

Bikes: 2017 Colnago C-RS, 2012 Colnago Ace, 2010 Giant Cypress hybrid

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 408 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 85 Posts
Even quality brand names have cheap stuff. Cycling shorts/bibs are not the area you want to worry about cost. Whatever is comfortable and fits you properly that isn't bargain basement stuff is what you will need.

2017 Colnago C-RS
2012 Colnago Ace
2010 Giant Cypress
Old 04-17-18, 01:07 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Voler
Old 04-17-18, 06:06 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4739 Post(s)
Liked 1,533 Times in 1,004 Posts
I'd typically just advise to browse thru the Steep n cheap website for what's available. Never pay full price.
a starting point https://www.steepandcheap.com/mens-r...=1&pagesize=80
Old 04-18-18, 02:20 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Any particular problem with the chamois and saddle you've been using? Sometimes a minor adjustment in fit can relieve minor comfort problems: small tweaks to the positions of cleats, saddle fore/aft/height/angle, etc.

If your fit is dialed in for now, chamois comfort depends on whether the shorts you've tried are too thin or too thick. Personally I prefer faux-chamois more like old school leather chamois, thin with just enough padding to minimize pressure discomfort, without soaking up a bunch of sweat.

So far on rides up to 40 miles or so I prefer the thin microfiber padding of Aerotech Pro shorts with the tan and black chamois. No gel or foam, very little loft, basically just the same type of soft microfiber cloth you can buy to clean lenses and polish fine car finishes.

When I was getting accustomed to a new, firmer and narrower saddle I occasionally switched to Pearl Izumi and Baleef shorts with that newer style thick, sculpted gel or progressive foam padding. But on warm days that stuff soaks up sweat and feels like a diaper.

It also depends on whether you use chamois cream. I don't. Just lucky. Never needed it with my old merino wool and leather chamois shorts in the 1970s. I haven't experienced the problems some folks have that necessitate creams with real leather or faux chamois.

Check the Aerotech site. They have every imaginable type of chamois pad and complete description for each. If in doubt, email or call 'em and ask more questions. They're an accessible company with good affordable stuff and higher end stuff.
Old 04-18-18, 04:57 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Bought some Baleaf shorts on Amazon at the beginning of the year for $20 each. Love them so far, I ride 50 miles on a weekend day. Only drawback is lack of drawstring, so if I lose the whole 5 kg I need to lose that may be an issue.
Old 04-18-18, 05:23 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I think what you're looking for good "bang for the buck" kit. I've cycled for a lot of years, about 40 I think. During that time I've tried a lot of brands. Nothing ever worked to my satisfaction until I said "What the hell" and bought some Assos bibs on sale.I think they were $129. They were perfect. Over time I discovered that I loved most kit Assos. That doesn't mean you will have to buy Assos or any other "higher" quality brand. You might get lucky and find some $50 shorts that will work for you. That's the key. Find out what works for you. Good luck.
Old 04-18-18, 05:29 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Chamois, chamois bent riders dont need no steenkin chamois.
Old 04-18-18, 07:06 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
Bought some Baleaf shorts on Amazon at the beginning of the year for $20 each. Love them so far, I ride 50 miles on a weekend day. Only drawback is lack of drawstring, so if I lose the whole 5 kg I need to lose that may be an issue.
saw some tops, how is their sizing for overweight over-50s? I take anywhere from an XL from American manufacturers to XXXL being too small from other countries & not even being able to get my arms into the sleeves. their stuff is cheap enough but I don't want to wind up buying & returning everything

Last edited by rumrunn6; 04-18-18 at 07:09 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 07:18 AM
FlMTNdude

Bikes: 1988 Panasonic, 1989 Fuji, Schwinn Beach Cruiser

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 45 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
saw some tops, how is their sizing for overweight over-50s? I take anywhere from an XL from American manufacturers to XXXL being too small from other countries & not even being able to get my arms into the sleeves. their stuff is cheap enough but I don't want to wind up buying & returning everything
I found the sizing pretty spot on. I am 52, and on the edge sizing wise so I always buy cycling clothes on the larger size for error and come out ok. I don’t wear things loose, but don’t want too much squeeze either.
Old 04-18-18, 08:48 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by FlMTNdude
I found the sizing pretty spot on
k, thanks. I'll give something of theirs a try then
Old 04-18-18, 12:58 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by cvictorh
I am looking for some new gear both shorts and pants and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for quality brands on the cheaper side. I want quality stuff but I was wondering if there were some brands that were more modestly priced just because they lack the name recognition of the bigger brands.
Voler sells shorts and bibs with Elastic Interface Technology (like Rapha and Assos) pads (Comp HP and Orion) starting at $100. They're built with 120 kg/m^3 foam under the sit bones so you don't sink squishing your soft tissues, and are reasonably shaped so there isn't excess that can cause chafing. Order a pair and return them if they don't work for you.

I'm not aware of any less expensive shorts that have acceptable chamois construction - apart from Aerotech they're all too big and squishy like bad bike saddles , and not an improvement over flat synthetic leather on longer rides. Aerotech pads aren't too thick, but don't work as well as stiffer pads that are shaped better.

Boure shorts/bibs with flat synthetic leather chamois work fine, although they also run $100 for shorts.

Voler EIT Comp HP pad:

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-19-18 at 11:35 AM.
Old 04-18-18, 01:08 PM
WNCGoater

Bikes: Diamondback Century 3. Marin Four Corners

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 6 Posts
I had good luck with Performance Bike's "Ultra" shorts. Currently $59.
Old 04-18-18, 03:59 PM
bogydave

Bikes: /Skye/ Torker mt, Sirrus flat bar

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 10 Posts
Competitive cyclist has a good sale going
Link:
CCSalestuff
I got bib tights, Giordana G-Shield
$135 (list $200)
Rode them yesterday 40 miles,44°, like them
& the chamois rode nice.

Good customer service
Free returns
Free shipping in lower 48
(Cost $12 in AK )
Old 04-18-18, 05:43 PM
philbob57

Bikes: frankenbike based on MKM frame

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 716 Post(s)
Liked 613 Times in 377 Posts
Don't the Performance Ultras use E.I.T. pads?

The thing about pads now is that they come in an overwhelming variety of thickness, density, width, shape, with and without gel, etc.. And like seats, what works for and fits one person may not work for another of essentially the same size.

I think the best way to find pads that work for you is to buy one pair of shorts or bibs, decide what you like and don't like, and buy the next pair that fit the requirements you were looking for.

But for budget friendly stuff, it's Performance, Nashbar, Aerotech, and special sales.
Old 04-18-18, 06:36 PM
Patriot1

Bikes: (2) 2019 Specialized Roll Sports, 1992 Merlin Road Ti, 1986 Schwinn Peloton, 2 Trek 920’s,

Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 9 Posts
I like the quaility and price of www.aerotechdesigns.com/mensbikeshorts1.html
Also made here in the USA.
Old 04-18-18, 06:55 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by philbob57
Don't the Performance Ultras use E.I.T. pads?

The thing about pads now is that they come in an overwhelming variety of thickness, density, width, shape, with and without gel, etc.. And like seats, what works for and fits one person may not work for another of essentially the same size.

I think the best way to find pads that work for you is to buy one pair of shorts or bibs, decide what you like and don't like, and buy the next pair that fit the requirements you were looking for.

But for budget friendly stuff, it's Performance, Nashbar, Aerotech, and special sales.
There's just no way around this. Although a good pair of shorts can fit a wide gamut of shapes. Anyway, +1 on the Performance Ultras and Elite.
Old 04-18-18, 07:35 PM
Dave P

Bikes: Trek Madone, Niner Air 9, Salsa Vaya, Lotus Unique

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
I think @canklecat summed things up nicely, so I'll just add a tiny bit.

When I started riding again, ~7 years ago, I thought the higher end (price) shorts would help me avoid discomfort. They might have, but I soon discovered that I could get the same, if not better quality and comfort through Aero Tech Designs. My favorite Aero Tech short is the men's Pro Short (already mentioned). They typically run ~$40.

Good luck in your search, cvictorh.
Old 04-19-18, 11:20 AM
jp911

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 Dura Ace, Niner RLT9 aluminum, Santa Cruz 5010 CC, Niner Air 9 rigid 29er, Trek Farley alloy

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt
Voler sells shorts and bibs with the Elastic Interface Technology (like Rapha and Assos) pads (Comp HP and Orion) starting at $100. They're built with 120 kg/m^3 foam under the sit bones so you don't sink squishing your soft tissues, and are reasonably shaped so there isn't excess that can cause chafing. Order a pair and return them if they don't work for you.

I'm not aware of any less expensive shorts that have acceptable chamois construction - apart from Aerotech they're all too big and squishy like bad bike saddles , and not an improvement over flat synthetic leather on longer rides. Aerotech pads aren't too thick, but don't work as well as stiffer pads that are shaped better.

Boure shorts/bibs with flat synthetic leather chamois work fine, although they also run $100 for shorts.
Yes! The Voler bibs and chamois are very comfortable. Personally, I find them more comfortable that some of the higher end bibs from Pearl Izumi and Pactimo.
Old 04-19-18, 11:39 AM
cvictorh

Bikes: 2014 Masi CX Cross

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone. Ill have to take a look at some these suggestions and probably order a few different ones to see what does and doesnt work for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.